Chrysler engine identification

Guest zeilner0

Guest zeilner0

Hi, you all out there! I have to rebuild an engine of an old speedster named Chrysler-Rotor. I believe it is a chrysler engine. What I have measured, it has 198 ci, piston diameter 81mm. The engine nr. is C21612. it has 7 main bearings. I need all parts to rebuild the engine, like pistons, bearings, gaskets,... Hope someone can help me! Thanks Gerhard

i wish i could be of more help,but all i can offer is that the Chrysler slant six was a 198 ci,but it only had 4 main bearings. There were other companies producing 6's with 7 main bearings.

Might be a 1930 Chrysler engine. The numbers for the Model '66' engine go from C1001 to C28055 and are 195.6 c.i.. You could probably get what you need from Egge Machine.

EGGE Machine Company - Parts and Services for Nostalgic Motors

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zeilner0

Hi, I found out in the meantime the engine looks like an early imperial engine and they had 7 mains, but the bore doesnt fit. Do you know the bore of your engine, or is it possible to submit 2 or 3 pics from your engine? Maybe its a similar engine.

Thanks, Gerhard

post-71312-143138355964_thumb.jpg

post-71312-143138355971_thumb.jpg

post-71312-143138355977_thumb.jpg

Edited by zeilner0
adding pictures (see edit history)

Early engines were made to be rebored as part of the rebuild process. This might be necessary as many as 3 or 4 times during the working life of an engine. They were made with extra thick cylinders so the engine could be rebuilt several times.

It was common practice to bore out cylinders for extra displacement as part of the hop up. So your cylinders could be 1/8 oversize or even larger.

I'm surprised no one has identified it by the engine number you gave.

When did Chrysler Corp make a six with seven mains? They made a 198 CI slant six but it had 4 mains. Every flathead six I have seen, had 4 mains.

All the big Dodge truck Moly block flathead engines for the trucks had 7 main bearings. At least from 1940 through 1956.

Guest zeilner0
Might be a 1930 Chrysler engine. The numbers for the Model '66' engine go from C1001 to C28055 and are 195.6 c.i.. You could probably get what you need from Egge Machine.

I thought I did...

This engines all look similar from the model 66, 70 to the 80 Imperial. But I think you are right this everything points to the 66 - many thanks!

The engine number of the engine under discussion is C21612. The prefix before the adoption of the alpha-numeric model code in 1935-36 the number was two letters, one for the make (P, D, S, C) and one for the model (A and up) which began in 1930-31.

But from the beginning in 1924 through to 1930-31 the model code and engine number prefix was one letter. The 1924 Chrysler was model B and had engine prefix "B". The Chrysler model A, by the way, was the stillborn Chrysler Six being designed at the Willys Corporation plan in Elizabeth, New Jersey in 1921.

So the letter "C" is the engine number prefix and model number, which is model 66. The engine was a seven main bearing unit with a 3-1/8" bore and 4-1/4" stroke, for 195.6-cid. Around January 1, 1930, the bore was extended to 4-7/8" for 218.6-cid. Brake horsepower increased from 65 @ 3200 to 68 @ 3200.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

as just a letter or two.