Guest Mark1934*

Guest Mark1934*

I love all Dodge Brothers, and especially 1934 Dodge's. After 8 years of restoration (with only upholstery and the converible top to complete), we drove her for the first time ever.

Anyone know where I can get a good rubber floor mat for this car?

Also, need the correct radiator cap parts (the parts under the hood ornament part, the "guts").

post-70972-14313832945_thumb.jpg

Guest Mark1934*

Thank you very much. This was my grandfather's car, and did not see the light of the day for over 32 years. I brought it home after Grandfather died 8 years ago and immediately took it apart. It has been a labor of love (and tears, blood, sweat, etc.). I still need the interior and top (this fall if I can find someone). I'm having troubles with the brakes (not enough pressure), but I'll get that solved. My goal is to drive her to the DB National Meet 100 miles plus away.

My grandfather owned over 48 Dodges in his life time, and I have the pleasure of being the keeper of this car for the next generation.

Take care and keep those Dodge Brothers on the road!

Excellent attitude! Excellent car!!!

You will do the hobby proud. ;)

Is that the original color scheme? (Stratosphere Blue maybe?)

I don't have any insight on the floor mat problem. Sorry. I am in the same boat and have never seen any. The patterning in the rubber of the mats is pretty specific.

I was wondering if the runningboard guy in Canada can do mats. I would suspect if he could they would be prohibitively expensive though.

Can you throw out a photo of the inside of your radiator cap? I would think the parts would be similar to later caps, but just applied to your more ornamental top. (If you have a photo of a complete cap that would be really helpful too.)

Keep up the good work, Mark!

Here is some food for thought on the radiator cap.

Did you think about a reversible modification. Here are some photos of a '35-'36 aftermarket radiator cap from Stant. It is the "R2" number. It may be possible to get one of these over the counter yet, drill out the rivet and replace the parts onto your ornament cap. The center ring is very close to 2" in outside diameter.

Just an idea. Don't know if it will work or if you are a stickler for authenticity like me. You decide.

Have fun! :)

post-67404-14313833344_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138333462_thumb.jpg

Here is some food for thought on the radiator cap.

Did you think about a reversible modification. Here are some photos of a '35-'36 aftermarket radiator cap from Stant. It is the "R2" number. It may be possible to get one of these over the counter yet, drill out the rivet and replace the parts onto your ornament cap. The center ring is very close to 2" in outside diameter.

Just an idea. Don't know if it will work or if you are a stickler for authenticity like me. You decide.

Have fun! :)

I do not think that the cap you show will work for 1934. Your cap and those tabs are for a later year and will not work.

Just thought it may work as an "inner" cap vs. an "outer" style cap like in your photo. Would all depend on if the inside of the radiator throat has the same 2" opening as the "Stant" cap and a flat flange on the top of the opening for the gasket surface. (See photo of '36 opening). I take it that it is not close enough in design to accommodate that fit. I have never seen a '34's radiator so I defer to Keiser31. :D

post-67404-143138333828_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest Mark1934*

Wow! Talk about a timely issue. I have been working on finding a replacement "inners" for my radiator cap, as the original pieces (as shown in the photo above from Keiser31) are rusty. I tried using reproduction pieces for a 34 Ford (sorry for using that word in this forum), but other than the gasket, the metal part is useless. I'm about to give up on finding new pieces and was going to make a new metal piece. If I figure something out, I'll share it with you all. By the way guys, Dorman still makes brake master cylinders for our 34's. They are made in the USA even. Part #544.

Guest Mark1934*

I forgot to respond to your question on the color. Sorry. The original color of my car was the light green. I can't recall what Dodge called it, but it looked like a light mint green. Someone had painted the car RED with black fenders before my grandpa had bought the car back in the day. I found the original green underneath in some spots. When it came time to repaint it, my wife said no to green. I pulled out the original literature, and some pictures of other Dodges, etc. we had seen a medium blue that my wife voted for. From what I can tell, the car is supposed to be only one color for that year, but since we were not totally original on the blue, I went one step further and went with dark blue fenders to set off the medium blue body.

The grill is chromed, and not painted, which according to several old, original family type photos that I have collected is ok. Some 34 had painted grills, some had chromed grills. I wish I knew why and the percentage of each.

The grill insert I had power coated "chrome" color, and it looks fantistic. It would have cost me $800 more to have it chromed, and they would not guarantee it would look perfect. For $75 I had it baking soda blasted and power coated painted (for durability and looks), and we are pleased.

Now it is a driver!

Works for me !!! :D

The only green for '34 Dodge was apparently "Palm Green" (DuPont #202-31146)

See:

DuPont Color Chip Chart for 1934 Dodge - Pg1

and:

DuPont Color Chip Chart for 1934 Dodge- Pg2

This "Gunmetal Metallic" did have a fairly heavy blue cast to it. A bit darker than your color.

BTW: All the chip colors shown in these links are DARK. Age was not good to those chips!

I love your combination of color though! Very original styled! Good job! ;)

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest Mark1934*

Unbelievable. Have you guys since the 34 Dodge convertible coupe in the Hemming's Classica Car December 2010 issue, that just came out. That car is the same color scheme as mine!! That car is in Canada. Wow. What are the odds? Now I have to paint my car over again. ("Are you kidding?!" my wife said.)

Unbelievable. Have you guys since the 34 Dodge convertible coupe in the Hemming's Classica Car December 2010 issue, that just came out. That car is the same color scheme as mine!! That car is in Canada. Wow. What are the odds? Now I have to paint my car over again. ("Are you kidding?!" my wife said.)

I read the article last night, interesting car. That has become one of my favorite magazines.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Just wondering if you guys have resolved the issue with the radiator cap ?

I'm restoring a 34 Dodge in Australia and as you can imagine part arn't that easy to come by.

So with a bit of flair I made a plate that locked into the four lugs and then I bought a radiator cap on ebay and bolted the plate to that and then the whole thing bolted to the mascot. Now in place you wouldn't know the difference.

Just thought I'd share that in case anyone else is going through it.

Has anyone had the problem of the screw part of the horn breaking away from the main body of the horn ( i.e. the cast is fatigued ) ?

Guest Mark1934*

I need to work on my radiator cap still. Not on very tight. Can you share pictures with us of what you made?

My car is almost done. Still having problems with the brakes though. I'll post pictures soon of the new top and interior.

Guest danceswithpumps

AWESOME car and story!! Glad you got it. I just lost my Dad last week and can't believe the hassle some people put you through to get the things he gave me years ago but felt bad taking them before he passed away. Hindsight is 20-20. When someone gives you something...BRING IT HOME!!

Rod

Hi Guys,

I'll post some pictures tonight when I get home from work of the radiator cap and the horns.

I bought the horns from the US but I didn't even think to ask about the horn brackets. I've only seen one set on ebay and they sold for about $200AUD. And thats just the brackets !

My chassis is fully rebuilt ( every nut and bolt ) and all panels I have hand stripped back to bare metal and they're off to the panel shop. 77 years old and not even a hint of rust in any of the doors. Even the panel shop couldn't believe it. Only thing left is the main body shell. I'll strip that and get the underside blasted and primed.

One thing I am chasing is the rubbers for the rear 1/4 vent windout windows. They seem to be moulded around a metal frame of somesorts.

I'm really enjoying working on the car after a few years break and I'll try and post some before and after shots too.

Keep on Dodging !

Hi,

I've attached some pics of the mascot. I got the mascot and got a piece of brass and drilled holes in it to match the lugs on the mascot. After that I bought a radiator cap ( NOS from a 1924 car from memory ) and put it on the radiator and locked it in place and market on it where the front of the mascot would be. Removed the cap anddrilled two holes and marked on the brass plate the same two hole. I then drilled two holes in the brass and bolted the radiator cap to the brass. I could then drill a hole through the cap and brass plate which lines up with the hole in the bottom of the mascot. I then bolted the assembly to the bottom of the mascot ( remembering that the 4 lugs in the brass plate will keep the cap sraight ). It will be off centre until you put the mascot and cap on and once turned into place will be straight.

I'm no metal expert but I did buy 2 radiator caps and did have to grind the sides down to take the rough edges off, but overall took me a few hours and when mounted you wouldn't know the difference.

post-44589-143138487566_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138487571_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138487574_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143138487577_thumb.jpg

post-44589-14313848758_thumb.jpg

Guest Mark1934*

WOW! Looking good. If you need any parts, let me know. I may have some or know where to find them (besides Ebay, which I resort to sometimes). My car is at the shop having the interior and convertible top installed. Then I'm done (except for adjusting the brakes...I just bought a AMMCO Model 1750 brake centering tool to finish the job). I'll post pictures later.

Guest Mark1934*

I don't have an extra set to sell. Sorry. Also, I'm not exactly sure what is 1934 and what isn't. Here is a picture of what is on my car. I have a left and right. I have extra lenses, but I want to hold on to them just in case. I'll ask around for you. I live in northern Illinois, USA. By the way, my 20 year old daughter visited and studied in your lovely country for 4 weeks last summer, than 2 weeks in New Zealand. A college trip. I'll try to post pictures if I can figure out how to do it.

post-70972-143138491673_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark1934* (see edit history)

Hi,

Thanks for the photo. Yeah I'm not sure either what is genuine and what isn't. I've come to the conclusion that if you have a matching pair of something hang on to them !

I'm glad your daughter enjoyed Australia. Our son is going around the world at the moment and he wants to work in New York ( he's a chef ). Pity I didn't have the internet at their age, I would have done the same thing.

Could I ask you to look at your car for me as I have a question for you. The bonnet has side with vents in it. On the inside are two angle brackets going from top to bottom. On your car are these only welded at the top and bottom or at different intervals along the length of the bracket. I've been asked by my panel shop if they are for tensioning to form a shape or make it rigid. Can't quite work it out.

Thanks again for the photo

Ian

Guest Mark1934*

I know what you are asking, but my car and all my "progress" pictures are at the upholstery shop. I will post the pictures of what you are asking next week when I get the car back. I was just down at the shop during my lunch hour! I'm glad our kids didn't meet...my daughter loved all the handsome young men in Australia, especially at her first soccer match (fotball?).

Every time I read this I cringe, ......if they are for tensioning to form a shape or make it rigid.............be carefull,........... I learned the hard way. They are for both in my opinion

Ian,

Depending on what state the car was sold in originally: some Aussie tail lights are different to USA ones.

Also some had a switch at the back of the car so the light could be turned on and off.

My car has an Aussie light.

Manuel in Oz

Hi,

Mark1934... Thanks for that, I'll look forward to the pics.

1930.......... You said you learn't the hard way. Could you explain what happened.

Manuel...... Mine did have a switch as the hole is there. I'll have to keep investigating. Its tricky when your trying to match something.

The tail light switch was the old Pull-out [on] Push in [off] type. Some areas req a rear light when the car was parked.

Mark,

Glad your daughter liked it here. Soccer in Aus has the round ball and football has the elliptical.

Cheers,

Manuel in Oz

I had reworked a hood, had some rust between hood and the brackets you speak of, drilled out spotwelds on brackets, removed them did my deed and then welded them back on in the same place only clamped them tight the entire length, distorted hood so it would not fit cowl, had to rework it all.

Guest Mark1934*

Our 1934 Dodge came home today after 4 months at the upholstery shop getting an all new interior and top. More pictures to come. Should be 100% done and on the road within the week! After 9 years of restoration.

post-70972-143138502664_thumb.jpg