Did you remove the rubber seals from your rear wheel wells durring your restoration?

special55

Hey Guys,

I'm preping the 55 body tub for the blaster and was wondering what the practice has been when it comes to the rubber seals stapled inside the rear wheel wells. The body is very clean and I'm thinking about leaving them in place.

I've stripped the majority of the rust proofing just to make sure there isn't any rust hiding under it. It's mostly been clean but I didn't want to take any chances.

Just wanting to see what some of you have done durring your restorations.

Thanks,

Rich

Hey Guys,

Sorry about the confusion but I was talking about the smaller rubber seals that are stapled in place.

There are two of them. One in the front and one in the rear that about maybe 16" long. Not the large one sandwiched between the inner and outter quarter.

I know I wouldn't be able to staple them back in place like the originals so I was leaning toward leaving them in place.

I will try and get a picture up tonight so you can see what I'm talking about.

Rich.

Rich,

I think I know the piece you're talking about. The piece that keeps mud and water from flinging between the wheel well and the outer quarter? Therefore:

Rich

Leave them alone unless there is perforating rust in the area. The only way to R&R is to remove the rear quarters---lots of work, little gain.

Willie

Rich,

I think I know the piece you're talking about. The piece that keeps mud and water from flinging between the wheel well and the outer quarter? Therefore:

Mike,

Those are the ones.

And that's the way I'm leaning.

Thanks for the reply.

So how long before you're cleared to get back in the garage?

Meet with the Doc at 1:45 today. I picked up a 50 lb. bag of blasting media yesterday so I already beat him to the punch. I did light stuff (rebuilt rocker arms, oil pump) this past weekend so I haven't been bedridden for at least a week.

You're such a rebel :D

Just don't rush it too much. You want that patch to take hold.

For what it's worth, on my 57, I removed and replaced the stapled rubber seals on the lower quarter exentsions (mostly because they had stiffened to rock like substance) and took some long staples and lined em up from the backside, pushed them through and then peened over the protruding staple legs to close them up. Worked fine and looks original. Better than my thought of pop riveting the things on.. Good luck on your quarter..Holy Moly!! Lots of fun there!

Thanks for the info Jim. Mine are still pretty pliable as they were covered in rust proofing since new and that seemed to preserve them some.

My experience with these types of rubber parts being blasted is they come out really clean and looking pretty new. That's as long as they aren't too brittle to begin with.

It's good to know somone has had some success with reinstalling them with new staples though.

And that's not my car with the quarter cut off. That is Koz from Poland.

And yes he does have his work cut out fo him. :eek:

Hey Guys,

Sorry about the confusion but I was talking about the smaller rubber seals that are stapled in place.

There are two of them. One in the front and one in the rear that about maybe 16" long. Not the large one sandwiched between the inner and outter quarter.

I know I wouldn't be able to staple them back in place like the originals so I was leaning toward leaving them in place.

I will try and get a picture up tonight so you can see what I'm talking about.

Rich.

Here are a couple pictures but I think Mike described them pretty well.

post-34198-143138325324_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138325327_thumb.jpg

post-34198-14313832533_thumb.jpg

Maybe I should just leave well enough alone then?

The wells are rock solid...

Might not be a bad idea if yours look that good.

I wanted to take a look under the rust proof because some of the rust on mine had crept up to the edge. I didn't want to go this far just to have the rust come back in a couple years.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...