1955 Century Estate Wagon with A/C ?

Guest BJM

This car serves as a good reminder on the number of Ventiports in the '50s. In 1954, the Roadmaster was the only model with 4 - all others had 3. In 1955, the Special was the only one with 3, and all others had 4. The Roadmaster and Special are consistent, but the models in between change.

I'm just dying to contact that seller and try to get proof of his 5 cars made claim. I am not doubting those on here that say what he is saying is not correct but none of us have probably ever seen a 55 Century Estate wagon with air.

He would probably (the seller that is) not respond to my inquiry.

And Mr. Cokers involvement is interesting. Why couldn't Buick have experimented with some Harrison A/C units in 1955?

I know of and have seen a 1954 Pontiac with in-dash factory air conditioning, so General Motors did have that technology for the 1954 model year. I've always wondered by Buick waited until the 1956 model year to put their air conditioner outlets in the dashboard. Actually, I think "outlet" is the proper term, as there is only the center outlet in the top of the dash for 1956--am I correct?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

I could not resist any longer. I just sent him an email asking for photos/proof.

He has also lowered the price to $1200 from $1500. Projects are so cheap now. Even when we find the air cond is aftermarket - this is a rare and desirable car (without the roof rack) and someone might want to buy it. I think it's a long way away from me (SW)

I received a reply from the seller as follows:

Bryan,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

The ac was setup in the plenum chamber on the passenger side. It had knobs on the dash to turn on the ac and the cold air blew out through the defroster and at the floor level. There were no vents in the dash or under it. The knobs consisted of one that you pulled to turn on the ac and 2 toggle switches that turned on a blower on the drivers or the passenger’s side. The poor people in the back seat had to wait for the wagon to cool down.<o:p></o:p>

Mike<o:p></o:p>

PS the wagon was sold yesterday.<o:p></o:p>

I know of and have seen a 1954 Pontiac with in-dash factory air conditioning, so General Motors did have that technology for the 1954 model year. I've always wondered by Buick waited until the 1956 model year to put their air conditioner outlets in the dashboard.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Harrison A/C was through the dash.

FrigidAir A/C was trunk mounted.

Chevrolet and Pontiac used Harrison.

Cadillac and Buick used FrigidAir (prior to 1956)

Oldsmobile, used one or the other? Or, both? (I don't know)