And we're off !!

avantey

Here we go again, leaving tomorrow for the Glidden! We haven't done one in a few years now so it will be good to catch up with old friends and make new ones. I think the last was Mackinaw.

It will also be great adventure along the shores of Lake Michigan as we try to tour the 1913 Stude almost 500 miles next week! Hope the weather plays nice......

Has anyone had any recent experience with the Port Sarnia crossing back into the US? I also heard there is a ferry nearby that might be quicker?

Hope to see you there-

We had to withdraw after being accepted for this years Glidden Tour (My 93 year old mother needs help here) The tour sounds great and we try to see the USA via AACA Tours. I know you'll have fun and have better weather than we had on the 2001 Glidden in Macinaw City (Rain & Cold).

We look forward to a report to the Tour Forum on your return.

Susan and I are really looking forward to this one. It'll be the first time we've been in Michigan and able to see some places we've not been since we met in college (Western Michigan University). We're looking for some empty back seats as we'll have to fly in. It's going to be a great time!

Terry

Bill and Terry,

We know you'll enjoy this one ---

The last Michigan Glidden held in Macinac City with a trip to Macinac Island was a blast despite the "Liquid Sunshine" -- can't remember when the 1912 OAKLAND'S TOP WENT UP AND DOWN SO MANY TIMES --

We had to withdraw from this one due to a family wedding and my 50 year High School Reunion in New Jersey.

Hope y'all have a blast for us,

and regards to Mike & Patti and to Gene & Lil,

Marty & Dale

Edited by Marty Roth
spelling (see edit history)

We got here Saturday after having the interstates in Mi shake every tooth loose . Went out yesterday for the optional tour and Holland is a charming, great little city! Very well done downtown, especially the streetside pit fireplace for people to gather by and enjoy. Also a great brewpub, chocolate shop and a couple of ice cream places. May have to stay all week....

We also got a demo on making wooden shoes at a Dutch goodies shop. Pretty uncomfortable to wear but interesting to try on.

Today we start off big. 125 mile day we the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo, we'll see how the Stude runs. I figure if we get this one under our belt we will do OK the rest of the week.

All for now, got to hit the shower and get down the road-

.....We also got a demo on making wooden shoes at a Dutch goodies shop. Pretty uncomfortable to wear but interesting to try on. .....

You need very thick knitted socks, usually wool, to wear with them according to what my mom told me after she got some over in Holland. She said they are the wooden version of Crocs. :rolleyes::D

We did it! We just completed the 125 mile day and the car did very well! Only broke once- a linkage to advance the distributor lost a cotter pin, fixed at the morning coffee stop. After stop we lost a body part- a knob to hold the top irons vibrated off. An eagle eye by friends following saw it, we retrieved it and put it back. So today is a net zero dayallbreaks fixed, all parts still attached.

The Kalamazoo Air Zoo was very good and there was an afternoon ice cream stop, all in all a good day of touring. Spent some time talking to Terry Bond and Hulon McCraw and some other folks as well.

Bring on tomorrow-

Got some pics posted on a new thread - but it sure was great to see you again on the tour. The Stude did very well. Based on the established rating scale of 1-10 according to lbs gained eating great tour food, I'd say this was at least a 9.78!

Terry

post-30751-143138313088_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138313104_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138313119_thumb.jpg

Terry- Thanks for the pictures! We were having so much fun last week I kinda forgot to keep this updated. It was a great tour in a beautiful area. Saw many things but most importantly reunited with a lot of Gliddenite friends. We had not done a Glidden since '03 so it was a week long reunion in between making new friends!! Tours are about the people and some of them we only see on tour.

The Stude did OK, about what I expected. We had some trouble but it ran 400+ miles out of 484. It was a "sorting out" experience for me and now I know what to fix (wiring) and what is strong (entire drive train). I think adding no oil or water in a 97 year old original car is a great thing! I think coming home on a roll off Tuesday is a terrible thing.....

Getting the cloisonne on Friday was truly an undeserved honor. In the original I believe cars had to run the entire tour without opening the hood to prove their reliability. Mine was open quite a bit but we still had a blast!!!

Touring is definitely the favorite part of the hobby here! Now on to Hershey!!!!!!-