Fuel Problem.

AndyC

Also posted on Chrysler Forum.

I have a 62 new yorker, that I have had for the past 5 years. This is essentially an original car that has been pretty much problem free since I bought it.

Over the past month, on two occasions, after about 30-45 minutes of driving, the engine quits. When checking for problems, have found that the inline fuel filter was empty. I assumed (and you know what that does) that it was the fuel pump. Howerver, after it set for about an hour, when i turn over the engine, the filter refills, and the engine will start and run, whic leads me to believe it's not the pump.

Going to replace the fuel pump anyway, but need some input as to any other problem I may be looking at.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

30-45 minutes running time sounds too long to be caused by a bad tank vent. You can check that real quick by opening the gas cap and restarting the car. I'd eliminate that possibility first.

It's more likely a clogged pickup. I had a friend on a tour in 2008 who had a coin loose inside a gas tank (he'd just bought the car, a Triumph GT6), which did exactly this. However it only did it during freeway driving for some reason.

I think it is MOST likely that you have a fuel percolation problem. The fuel is getting too hot inside the gas line and literally boiling. Today's gas will boil dry at about 150-160 degrees F. The fuel pump is then trying to draw a gas vapor, which it can't do. Letting the car sit cools the fuel, and eliminates the problem.

Usually the best fix is an electric fuel pump. You can try shielding/insulating the line and relocating it as far from the motor as possible, which may help.

I had a similar problem with a '41 Ford. After several fuel pumps didn't help, I discovered that there was a tiny pebble in the gas line. It would get sucked up the line and plug the small orifice at the flexible line connection. Then, sometimes, it would eventually just decide to fall back down the line and the car would start.. Luckily, I spotted it once when it stayed put.

FIRST - replace ALL fuel line that is rubber - old rubber line will allow the pump too suck air through the cracks in the rubber but since they are not pressurized they won't leak fuel this is exactly what caused our 61 caddie to falter repeatedly. I don't want to admit how much time and money were spent before I replaced ALL the rubber lines but that was the ticket. There is an old thread about a 62 caddie that had similar problems last month maybe you can search for it but it was his problem as well.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. Over the weekend, replaced the fuel tank, sending unit, fuel pump and push rod. Pulled the old sending unit out of curiosity, and it was so rusty, i'm amazed that it didn't fall apart. :eek:I can only imagine what bottom of tank looked like. All appears to be well, running ok.

Guest De Soto Frank
Just a quick update. Over the weekend, replaced the fuel tank, sending unit, fuel pump and push rod. Pulled the old sending unit out of curiosity, and it was so rusty, i'm amazed that it didn't fall apart. :eek:I can only imagine what bottom of tank looked like. All appears to be well, running ok.

Andy,

Had similar problems after putting my '60 Windsor back on the road with a rebuilt engine after a lay-up of at least six years...

Ran fine for break-in, started driving it, and had all sorts of issues with fuel starvation...

Long story short, the pick-up tube on the sending unit was plugged with rust at the 90* bend, and the strainer sock was gone (disintegrated).

Cleaned the tube, cleaned the sender, put a new float on the arm, and cleaned the loose rust out of the tank....

In my case, it was 50 years of accumulated rust ( like fine red dust) rather than new fuel blends...

Installed a new fuel-filter between the pump and carb, and have enjoyed over 10,000 miles of trouble-free driving since.

Good luck !

:cool:

All the previous suggestions have merit to look at. I had a fuel delivery fault with my 1978 Chrysler St Regis 440 engine. Problem resolved to be gas-a-hol fuel deteriorating inside walls of ALL RUBBER HOSE LINKS! The one from fuel tank outlet to fuel pump inlet pipe at rear of vehicle looked like black molasses when pulled off. Had to blow out pipe from front of car with compressed air and denatured alcohol to clean out inside of all blobs of goo that were coming loose and flowing forward with the fuel.

Be sure to replace all hose with modern SAE grade alcohol proof rubber material. I don't know the SAE grade number but your local parts house will know.

Stude8