changing fuses in 84

Booreatta

Got in the old Riv today and the AC was not working so naturally the first thing to check is the fuse...Yep its blown, no big deal....UNTIL I tried to replace it. Talk about a a problem one of the hardest places to get to in the whole car. The AC fuse is at the top of the fuse box and there is not a lot of room. I am not a little person and my big ol hand just would not fit in the small confines. I finally got the fuse changed but now all of my neighbors know I have a very limited language. Might have to move after I read the home owners association handbook on conduct.

Any body have a simpler way of doing these things any pointers would be appreciated

While I can still twist and turn pretty well, those upper fuses can be a challenge.

I've used a tiny vise-grip pliers taped onto an inspection mirror pole, just below the mirror. With a light in my other hand, the mirror would show me where the fuse was going. Once the fuse was in, I'd reach up and snap the vise grips open.

Probably plenty of other solutions, but that's worked for me.

For the guys with larger hands, or anyone else how wants to avoid the scrapes and contortions, it might be worth the little extra time to remove the bottom panel of the dash. The hood release and the courtesy lights will stay attache but you can lower it enough to expose the entire fuse box and access it easily. R&R of this panel could actually be quicker than fighting it and causing your neighbors to rush their young children inside so they don't learn more of your limited language.

Ed

Fuse removal tools are available for both round glass fuses and the newer spade terminal fuses. Many of the fuse assortment kits come with them. My 1999 Chevy truck came with one snapped into a holder in the fuse box. They're cheap and make the problem go away.