WHo Owns this car?....1913/14 OVerland 79S

laheyth

• 2 weeks later...

laheyth--There are 8 or 9 '14 speedsters listed in the Horseless Carriage Club of America's current roster of members and cars. Also in the June 1952 issue of the club magazine, HCCA "Gazette" there is an article about the restoration of a 79S. Copying services are available, click on the link posted at the top of this forum. It will take you to the club website. If you are not currently a HCCA member please consider joining. The club magazine "Gazette" is very helpful and informative to the 'Brass" enthusiast. Good luck--Bob

• 2 years later...
HI, Anybody tell me who the owner is ?....and how to reach them?

I would like to see a few other details of the car so I can accurately restore mine.

I wouldn't use this car as an example of a correct restoration.

It is an assembly of parts, not an appropriate go-by.

There are apparently no correctly restored Overlands in the southern hemisphere.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

The Overland Club (Willys Overland Knight Registry or WOKR) has copies of all the Overland Parts catalogs which can be purchased. The speedster was only built in 1914 in small numbers. All of the speedster body parts are clearly illustrated in the original parts catalogs as well as the different chassis parts such as steering column mounts, etc. This would probably be the best starting point in building an accurate looking speedster. It is believed only one real 1914 Model 79 speedster exists and years ago, it was located somewhere in the northeast. I am not sure where that car is today.

Several years ago I looked at one in a museum in Florida. A while later Bob Bahre bought out the contents and cherry picked for his collection. The Overland was for sale in Maine, but I could not get a price from his repesentative, it was always "how much will you pay?". I did not respond to this, but oftened wondered if the car was the real deal. I have a period picture of the local Overland dealer with two of these rare cars in front of his agency.--Bob

• 3 months later...
Several years ago I looked at one in a museum in Florida. A while later Bob Bahre bought out the contents and cherry picked for his collection. The Overland was for sale in Maine, but I could not get a price from his repesentative, it was always "how much will you pay?". I did not respond to this, but oftened wondered if the car was the real deal..--Bob

Yes, it is the real deal.

A friend in Texas bought the car 4-5 years ago from the family in Maine who bought it from the Florida museum. It seems to check out as a real Speedster. It was also the subject of a club magazine article in 1951 detailing its resoration...before going to the Florida museum.

As I said, it's in Texas, the Houston area. It's currenly off the road with mechanical issues, but in good cosmetic shape. The owner is trying to get the parts to get it back on the road. Any help or suggestions offered will be passed on to him.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

post-94846-143141972432_thumb.jpg

The car in the photo is in Auckland , NZ.
i have a photo taken in the early 1950's of the Red car, OR,it is another ,because the photo is colour and it's a sprt of light yellow in the photo . i have had the picture for 50 years and it was already pretty old when i got it... Edited by RonB (see edit history)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]200389[/ATTACH]

i have a photo taken in the early 1950's of the Red car, OR,it is another ,because the photo is colour and it's a sprt of light yellow in the photo . i have had the picture for 50 years and it was already pretty old when i got it...

Got to be a different car....too many differences.

Guest stephen48

The car in the old photo has a New Zealand licence plate on it from the series that was in use from June 1956 to June 1961, as indicated by the brown colour and small star in the middle.

The red car was re- licenced in 1998 when the current owner finished restoring it .I do not know whether it is the same car or not. There are differences but that may be due to restoration.

I was given the picture along with some others around 1964 .I would say that the car was photograhed at a Vintage car rally in the Mid 1950's. In those days it would have been umlikely that anyone would clone a speedster in New Zealand,you just didn't bother because there were so many real and interesting cars to be found.Plus,the level of access to knowledge as have now didn't exisit. You foubnd out stuff by writing letters and this could take months . So,with that in mind I would say that this yellow car was a real speedster .And yes,there are a lot of differences between the red one and this,especially the head light bracket design.

At one time in NZ I could track the owner of car by simply paying 50 cents and filling in a slip of paper with the plate number and handing it in to the post office. Within a week or two I would have the owners details. Today there is a great deal of suspicion levelled at you if you ask for such highly secret things. plus all NZ cars came with a set of ownership papers listing all of the previous owners. Ypu could do a simple check of a provenance by simply contacting any surviving former owners.

In my teens i had a 1939 Ford std. Coupe which had 72 previous owners....;)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wonder if that was a result of a chuck hole in the road or some other problem with the road?

With the gas headlights and the crank installed, that would be a 1913 69R--great photo! It appears to have a 1918 Ontario license plate.

I'm afraid I can't add much on the speedster discussion, other than to agree that I have only ever heard of one true original. I have a 79R and would be happy to help with any specific questions you may have.

Ian