Reatta sighting

Guest Bobby Valines

Guest Bobby Valines

I would like to report the amount of Reattas I seen while driving my Reatta from Mamie to Detroit and back, almost 3,000 mi. with no problems.ZERRO sightings. Also went to the [down river cruse] south of Detroit where I had the only one that I seen. I don't think I realized how rare these cars are. I would also like to thank everyone here for helping me in making my Reatta so dependable with 160,000 mi.

Guest Stan Leslie

Not sure when you wee in Michigan, but there were 20 Reattas at Michigan International Speedway on Sunday doing a few laps. Sorry we missed you.

Guest detrart

There's at least two red ones in Detroit; mine and another one I've seen. I saw one a couple years ago, red with tan interior and a white guy driving, on Jefferson and he caught up with me and honked and said "nice car" or something. I saw what may have been the same car a few months ago but the driver was black. He caught me at a light and yelled at me asking where to buy parts. I yelled back something; told him to Google up Jim Finn or this forum. I forget exactly. I'm guessing he bought the same car I saw a few years ago.

I used to see one parked in front of the apartments on Maryland at Jefferson in GP Park, behind St Ambrose Church, but it's been a while and they tore that building down. Actually, I used to see Reattas once in a while but not much anymore. I saw a convertible in the garage at work some time ago, maybe last year, but I forget what color it was.

Mine is red with a maroon interior. I've got a love/hate relationship with this thing. It seems like there's always something that's wearing out. Like right now, the electrical system went kaput. I'd sell it but they're really not worth anything.

edit: I forgot. The bartender at Andrew's on Jos Campau has one. I don't think I've seen it but he's seen mine and started talking about his. I saw him a few weeks ago and he says he doesn't drive his daiy like I do mine. I guess it's red because he said that someone asked him how he was driving his Reatta and his Cadillac at the same time. Apparently that person that that my car was the bartender's. I've seen him there in the evening, like after 6.

Edited by detrart (see edit history)

Howdy,

Living in Flint, MI is like being in "Reatta heaven"!

I see two or three every week, sometimes even more. There are about ten in our local Buicktown Chapter of the BCA, including mine, plus many others that are owned by non-club people around town.

Last week I pulled up to a stop light about a mile from my house and there was an early coupe next to me with the radio blasting so loud he couldn't even hear my horn as I tried to give him a "thumbs up" for his car!

Yep, it's "Reatta heaven" right here in Genesee County, MI.

Life is good!!

Bob :)

In the last year, I have only seen one other here in Silicon Valley. Just a few weeks ago. (It was red, like Kits car, but I don't think Kit has his brakes sorted yet.) My daughter saw another one locally, and a third up in Davis. Pretty rare. Though many American cars are rare around here. Seems like 95% of the cars on the road are MB, BMW, Toyota, or Honda.

Was amused at a stop light one day. A guy with a Park Ave Ultra pulled up in the lane next to me and took a long, hard look.

Even the guys in the local BCA chapter don't know much about them.

I used to see them a lot, but now that I bought mine, I don't see them as much...

There used to be a Polo green coupe, and a Gunmetal grey (I'm pretty sure it was a 'vert) in east Raleigh.. but I haven't seen them lately.

I stumbled across one that had 230k and was used as a work truck for a painter. You can imagine how trashed it was. The owner sad he was gonna drive it until it stopped.

and there used to be a black/saddle coupe off of Ray rd. in north raleigh. Does anyone here own that car?

Also came upon an early '88 (with suede) in Smithfield) pretty nice, but the paint was a terrible faded repaint.

They're around, but few and far between down here. Except for our local Tarheel chapter of the BCA, there's about 18 between us. Not all of them are running, most are parts cars, but still.

Howdy again,

You're so right about "until the white stuff arrives"......

Here in Michigan most show cars go into hibernation about mid-October and sleep well until mid to late April.

I'm blessed to have a heated 30'X40' garage in my back yard where I can tinker with my Buicks during the Michigan "off season".

Most of the local BCA guys who own Reattas, like myself, take them out a few times a month to a cruise or show so they're actually a pretty common sight around these parts.

Needless to say, all the local GM retirees hate "rice burners" of any kind.

Today it's 84 degrees, blue skies, and flat gorgeous. I'm goin' cruisin'!

Later,

Bob

Is more a matter of choice today than ever before. Back in the eighties when I moved to Orlando, companies were still paying relo. That is rare today but telecommuting is both cost effective and common. Most of my meetings (several every day) are with people all around the country. At least in telecommunications, time zones are irrelevant which really makes the concept of a 9to5 job irrelevant.

Mine is 8 to 5. Eight eastern to five pacific & would be difficult/expensive to man an office that way but from home it is easy.

Bottom line, I grew up in Florida before a/c was common and like it better now that it is, just as I had many cars without a/c but would not really consider one without today, even topless ones.

Seems to be a decent number of Reattae in the St. Louis area as well. Besides my own, I personally know of the following:

Red over grey 90 coupe, owned by a lady who lives 2 blocks from me.

Blue over blue 89 (I think) coupe parked behind a house two blocks the other direction from me. Apparently not driven, as it has not moved in almost two years. I am almost tempted to go over there and ask about it, but I am guessing it is kind of rough from sitting out so long.

Red over tan coupe, not sure what year, had been parked behind a house about 5 minutes from me for a couple of years. Gone now, as I have not seen it there in 6-8 months. Not sure if it was sold, moved elsewhere or scrapped (not that it looked to be in bad shape).

Black over tan 91 coupe kind of beat up (hood crunched), headlamps up all the time about 4 miles from my house. Often see it parked when I drive down that street.

Gunmetal grey over grey 89 coupe I have seen driving around 3 or 4 times near where I live. Nothing else known on this one.

Claret over tan 89 I've seen out driving, and talked to the mechanic that usually works on it once when he saw mine and commented on it.

White over claret 89 coupe seen early this summer on a Maaco (good grief, go get a decent paint job!) parking lot 3 minutes from my house with the front bumper and lower fascia missing. Now gone, but it was there for about a month while I guess they were sourcing parts. Must not have known about Jim.

Another white over claret 88 coupe that I almost bought before my 91, subsequently purchased by a [former?] forum member here and then later resold AFAIK. Not sure where it is now.

Red over tan 90 'vert I've seen parked on a residential street when I was working in the area one day, have seen it there three times total. No idea who owns it, or anything else on this one.

Red over tan 90 coupe with what looks to be pretty bad collision damage that the owner has been trying to sell on craigslist for 2+ years, needs passenger door and front fender, among other things. This one is located about 10-15 minutes from me.

Black over grey 88 coupe with fake luggage rack on trunk lid in the Lafayette Park area of South City. See it parked there a lot when I am working in the neighborhood, it looks to be in nice shape.

This list does not include the 4 cars I saw at the recent all Buick show held at the transportation museum in St. Louis. That said, there seem to be quite a few here, especially in Kirkwood/Crestwood/Sunset Hills areas of suburban St. Louis County.

Then there was the 91 polo coupe I saw maybe 6-7 years ago. That is the one that caught me eye and started me down this path to vehicular obsession. Never saw it again, this one haunts me.

Funny how there are so many of them right here that I have spotted myself. How many more are there that I don't know about?

KDirk

Guest dmaugus

Spotted a red '88 coupe July 5th at the Riverfront Cruise-In in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

On a road trip visiting our daughter in Camden, Maine over the Memorial Day weekend, my wife and I passed a red convertible travelling north on rt. 73, just south of Rockland.

These are the only two Reattas I've seen in a few years.

Just Wait till Friday evening July30, In Ames Iowa. You will see about 36 Reattas heading for Jewell from Ames, Iowa about 5:00. Probably some of every color I hope. Heading to the dinner and dance as part of the BCA National meet. Should be a good looking site to watch

Just Wait till Friday evening July30, In Ames Iowa. You will see about 36 Reattas heading for Jewell from Ames, Iowa about 5:00. Probably some of every color I hope. Heading to the dinner and dance as part of the BCA National meet. Should be a good looking site to watch

Not bad. Please post lots of pictures! Unfortunately, it is about a year too late for me, as we drove our Reatta on I-80 past Ames last august.

Anyone know how many Reattas are still on the road (i.e., registered)? In a 2004 Reatta club newsletter, Barney reported about 17000.

Chuck - too bad YOU won't have a Reatta to watch from!!!

Oh Stan I was told by Jim Finn that my car would have a REATTA hood ornament on the front and nobody would even notice......And we all know that Jim Finn is always right. Too darn bad you cant make it this year you will miss a good one

Chuck

Guest steveskyhawk

Chuck and all,

When you go to Ames keep an eye out for waitresses with small hands. Ask Chuck to explain the virtues of waitresses with small hands.