Dead mice in blower.

Chadwell

I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with mice getting into the heater/blower compartment. Yesterday when I uncovered the car and opened the door I detected a slight rotten smell. Later when I turned the blower on I was hit with the unmistaken smell of dead animal. Fortunately, the blower unit is fairly easy to remove, after which I vacuumed out several dead mice bodies. My question is, how are they getting into the heater area? I can't see any opening where they might enter.

I would appreciate any help with this problem.

Unless they have chewed a hole in the climate cover in the engine compartment, I would think their other entry point would be from inside the car and under the dash, through the outlets.

There is also the possibility they came in the same way air gets in... is the fresh air cover below the windshield void of holes? Then there is the water drain route...down the back inside the fenders.

Anyone here that has replaced a fender could probably tell us if that is possible.

I always keep mouse bait along the walls of my garages and have seen mice from time to time but they always dead out side the doors of the garage. I know that all garages have mice especially in the fall of the year when they migrate inside for warmth. I spread moth balls outside the doors and walls and use baited tin cats outside. I have never seen a mouse inside the garage or car. The key is to keep the critters outside

Guest Telco

A mouse can crawl through an amazingly small hole. They also love to chew plastic. You will most likely find a small hole on the bottom of the heater box, up underneath. It won't be an easy place to patch.

Irish Spring soap is also supposed to be an effective mouse repellant. Manly yes, but mice don't like it. They don't like being fresh and clean as a whistle.

I actually use slivers of Irish Spring in plastic cups both on the outside around the car and inside the trunk, engine compartment, and interior including the glove box.....it works. I also use dryer sheets...they work too. These items sure beat the smell of moth balls inside a car. One car is in the garage and the other is in an igloo...have yet to have mice problems (my wife's 2 indoor cats wouldn't know a mouse if they saw one!).

Thanks for the advice concerning the mice problem. I made some pouches using tulle material and Irish Spring soap and placed them inside and outside the car at strategic locations. Hopefully that'll take care of the problem.

Guest Bobby Valines

A few weeks ago I put my hand under the bottom of the AC box an discovered that there is a big hole in it. I have no idea how this may have happened. I would suggest everyone to check this and make sure it hasn't happened to them. I haven't thought of a good way to fix it yet and would appreciate any suggestions.

Guest Bobby Valines

The hole in mine is about 4 or 5in. missing. I wonder if it rotted out or if a mouse ate it. I do know the car sat for a long time in FL. and GA. When I first got the car I sprayed a AC deodorant down the vents that seemed to get rid of the smell. The AC seems to work OK but I'm thinking it would work better if I patch the hole and put a drain hole in it. Its to hot around here to do anything right now that doesn't absolutely have to get done, so ill wait a few months. That's why I suggested for everyone to reach down and feel for a abnormal hole, the rest of the box looks to be in good shape.

Guest Bobby Valines

The hole I'm talking about is the underside of the box hanging on the firewall. Sorry I don't know the name of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rsteere

I tried the Irish Spring in my parts hauler last week. The dang field mouse started eating the soap. Peanut butter on a trap and I had him inside of 12 hours.

Randy