Odometer gear replacement

Guest My TC Toy

Guest My TC Toy

Some time ago a member was looking for the instructions on how to repair the odometer gear. If remember it sparked some lively comments. Anyway, under fear of being criticized I have found these instructions. Anyone wanting a copy, please PM me or leave their e-mail address on this thread and I will forward ASAP.:)

Edited by My TC Toy
spelling (see edit history)

Guest My TC Toy

To all those who requested the instructions, they were sent today. If anyone does not receive them please let me know and I will send again. Don't be shy. A couple of times in the past some mail did not go through.

Anyone else who wants them, let me know.

Best of luck.

Bob

Guest vanisle

Hello from Vancouver Island,

I would greatly appreciate your directions for the gear replacement.

Thanks,

Iain

Guest george w

The basic speedo head was used in most FWD Chryslers from 84 forward that used the analog speedo with the trip odometer. The TC's cluster is identical ( except for the lighting back color and the color of the needles ) to the analog speedo/ tach/ instruments that were used in the 87 through 89 LeBaron J bodies and the Dodge Daytonas of the same time frame.

Look for a J body LeBaron coupe or convertible base model or the GT, GTC versions. They must be an 89 or older. If the car has a cornering light in the front fender then it's a Premium model and will have the electronic digital dash. The 1990 and up models used a different dash and the instrument clusters are markedly different physically and won't interchange.

These are getting scare now that they're 21 years old but they show up for sale on eBay and Allpar frequently.

Guest My TC Toy

MadB, I noticed the same thing when I checked mine out. I just trugged on and kept a close eye on what I was doing. All worked out fine.

Bob

Guest My TC Toy

I have sent the instructions to everyone who requested to this point in time. If you did not receive, let me know. Sheesh there must be a lot of damaged odometers out there!\Bob

• 8 months later...
Guest pizzaman7880

If you join the Chryslerr TC by Maserati Group on Yahoo the odometer repair procedure with pictures in posted in the attachment section.

Guest My TC Toy

If you are on the AACA forum the odometer procedure is readily available here, and you get much better feedback and comments from fellow members. One stop shopping!

• 3 months later...

I found a You-Tube video to be very helpful. The only thing I did wrong was when I put the speedometer on I put it on 4 mph to slow. I don't know if I want to take the dash apart again.

I replaced both the 16 and 20 tooth gear from

Odometer Gears - WELCOME

This is the youtube video referenced by Odometergears.com

A copy of instuructions is availble on the Yahoo goup site. The document has many pictures that are helpful in removing the the dash to get at the odometer gears.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChryslersTCbyMaserat/attachments/folder/0/list

• 6 years later...

Interesting to read all this 'back-and-forth' conversation. For those of you who are not members of TC America, you would be able to garner most anything you would like to know about this automobile from those of us who are club members and technical advisors. Contact link chryslerstcbymaserat@yahoogroups.com, Karleen Tarola President.

• 9 months later...
On 7/8/2010 at 7:21 PM, My TC Toy said:

I have sent the instructions to everyone who requested to this point in time. If you did not receive, let me know. Sheesh there must be a lot of damaged odometers out there!\Bob

Considering mine is stopped at 98,666 miles and I am at least the second if not maybe even third or fourth owner of the vehicle, I just assumed it was tampered with as that seems to be a very very odd mileage for an odo to just break..at...but..idk.

18 hours ago, Iehardia said:

Considering mine is stopped at 98,666 miles and I am at least the second if not maybe even third or fourth owner of the vehicle, I just assumed it was tampered with as that seems to be a very very odd mileage for an odo to just break..at...but..idk.

When the small odometer gear breaks, and it WILL break at some time, that is when it stops.

On some cars it at very low miles, with others it could be in the hundreds of thousands. It is more dependent on time not operating which allows the grease behind the gear to harden and restrict the gear from rotating.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
44 minutes ago, Kevin V Green said:

Hi, I recently purchased a 1991 Chrysler TC and my odometer doesn't work.  Could you please send me the Odometer Gear replacement instructions?  I saw that they had the odometer gears on Ebay.  Is there a better place to purchase them?

I forgot to add my email address.  You can send to spellbounddetailing@gmail.com.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Hemi,

All of a sudden I’m having the same issue on my 1990. Everything was working fine now the odometer and trip odometer stopped working. Might be the sensor but not sure where to get one. If the sensor is bad would the speedo still work or would that quit too. My speedometer and tachometer work fine. 

Any suggestions appreciated....... by anyone.

thanks guys,

chet

27 minutes ago, CWigleyjr said:

Hi Hemi,

All of a sudden I’m having the same issue on my 1990. Everything was working fine now the odometer and trip odometer stopped working. Might be the sensor but not sure where to get one. If the sensor is bad would the speedo still work or would that quit too. My speedometer and tachometer work fine. 

Any suggestions appreciated....... by anyone.

thanks guys,

chet

3AE0318E-C7D6-41B8-8485-BBC6CA3748B2.jpeg.3aa5eea85cbb6bc9e042c9024ddfb00f.jpeg

No doubt you have the same failure as ALL the odometers experience at some time, a broken odometer drive gear.

A new set of gears shown below. This will require removing the speedometer assembly and have it repaired.