fuel consumption

Guest Juergen

Guest Juergen

Hallo,

I would be very pleased about some experiences about fuel consumption of a Master Six engine 1930 with 64 C Body.

Is it ok, when it needs more than 20 liters for 100 Km, or do I have a bad adjustment of carb or something else (I drove 250 Km on german autobahn )

Thank you for every answer and opinion.

Regards from germany

Juergen

Guest 1937RHDNZ

In imperial gallons thats close to 14mpg, my 37 buick, 248cubic inch, only gets about 12.5mpg. Mind you my 2010 Nissan Navara 4WD (Frontier) 4L, 244cu inch, V6 198kw or 261hp only gets 20L/100km around town, so I guess this is a common petrol consumption no matter what year the vehicle. I also believe that these older cars travel, on average, a lot faster than they were intended to, so that will push consumption up a lot as well.

20L/100km for 1930 is pretty reasonable.

Guest Juergen

Hallo,

thanks for all the opinions. I feel better, when I know it is on average a normal consumption.

In my car a carter BB-I carb is fitted instead of a marvel carb. Do you think it is a good solution or should I try to find an original one for normal driving ?

Regards from germany

Juergen

Juergen,

In my opinion, any updraft carb will not perform as well as a downdraft carb. The intake manifold is semmetrical so you can turn it up-side-down and install a downdraft carb to increase fuel mileage. Just don't change anything that cannot be put back to original....

Guest Juergen

Hallo,

Mark, it´s a good idea to turn the intake manifold, when it is easy to do, I think it worth to try it. What kind of downdraft carb would you recommand to fit ? There are a lot of them on ebay.

Thank you all for the reply

Juergen