transmission rebuild Model 812

Hi- looking to see who would be a good choice to rebuild the transmission in my 1937 Cord. It's still in the car, and exploring my options. It's not working right now, think it's in the electrics and solenoids, not mechanical, but while I'm working on it.......thanks

Dave, Hopefully, it is just that you are having shifting difficulties. These can almost always be worked out externally, unless it's caused by something like bad synchro clutches. When you drove the Cord, if you could get into all the gears, did they all sound ok? Low shouldn't knock, but it's a straight cut gear and isn't real quiet, 4th is an overdrive and will wine a little. If the trans sounds good, that's almost the whole thing. Hooray if so. If not, keep in mind that there have been some bad reproduction gears sold over the years. You will need to identify what the origin of any good remaining gears was, and find out if currently available replacement ones are compatable. Make sure that it has had modifications to the splined thrust washer, and to the synchronizer to prevent the ring from allowing the balls and springs to pop out. When that happens, it likely is goodbye tranny. These mods are absolutely essential. In addition to some bad gears, there were some bad shift forks too, just cast instead of being forged! The grease pump in the front may need rebuilding for besting lubrication.

If you are having shifting trouble, I have a number of ACD Newsletter transmission shift articles tab-marked, and will go through and list these for you if wanted. It would take a lot of time to find them otherwise. The Gear Committee article in N/L #3 is a very good read. Sid Ayers Transmission Manual is a great reference too, and I believe the club has it available for 10 bucks or so.

Did you notice that time capsule '36 Nash in the flea market at Winchester? It had door handles with the main part like the Cord's! Dave

• 12 years later...

I have no issue now, note my post was 12 years ago!

Jim gave me advice years ago, ifyou own a 1936/37 Cord, and want to drive it, learn the transmission and shifting yourself.  On the side of the raod in Podunk, Pennsylvania, only you can attempt a fix…no one else.

• Like 3

Thank you gentlemen. I will reach out to Mr. Obrien.

And yes, I did realize this thread was from 12 years ago, but instead of creating a new, I chose to search for existing one.

Thanks again gentlemen.

While I haven’t heard back from Mr. Obrien, I’ve managed to gather advise and information from elsewhere, including all available manuals (although haven’t received all yet) and so far it looks like these transmissions, their operating controls, etc are fairly straight forward. 
The “patient” is scheduled to get delivered in about month or so.

• 11 months later...