Got to try out my new soda blaster :-)

cobravii

Like the title says, I got to try out my new soda blaster yesterday and boy does it work good!!

My plans are to strip down the body before starting the bodywork but thought i'd try it out on something smaller first.

Here's some before and after pics....

post-54696-143138202715_thumb.jpg

post-54696-143138202719_thumb.jpg

Guest wildcat465

MMmm.

New toys are the best!

If you run out of stuff to blast, let me know, I'll send you a whole bunch of this that need blasting. :D:D:D

Nice work Cobra.

Yes I am interested as well, what kind of blaster is it and how long did it take to do that intake. The pictures look great. Were you pleased with how everything worked. I have thought about the soda blasters but some articles I've read said they were not good for rust removal. Just curious thanks for any feedback.

Guest ahhh65riv

I made mine from a large propane tank. This was my first project with my new plazma cutter. :-) I bought all the fittings, wheels, deadman valve, tips from the hardware store and Harbor freight. The industrial size of containers of soda can be bought at Harbor freight also.

The usage depends on what size tip you use and how much CFM you have available with your air compressor. Recycling the soda is kinda pointless, but I suppose it can be done. That defeats the purpose of being able to wash the soda away with water. If you use the soda in a cabinet type the dust makes visibility a problem.

There is also a conversion kit available you can buy with the right fittings to convert your sand blaster to soda media.

Erik

Edited by ahhh65riv
added conversion kit (see edit history)

How many boxes of (baking) soda does it take to do something like the intake?

Can it be recycled? (so the wife won't notice you used her baking soda)

LOL.... toooo funny!

The tank hold 100 lbs of Sodium Bicarbonate and it is sold in 50 LB bags. I paid $35 a bag.

At that price it is getting washed away!

BTW, Sodium doesn't remove rust real well at all. It does work really well at removing paint. It will not hurt rubber, chrome or glass.

The set up I got converts to a sand blaster in minutes........ THAT takes the rust off!!

Guest ahhh65riv
I hope you were joking.

Nope. Quite serious. It is just the vessel for the tank. It was of course purged of all residue before cutting. I started with something like this, http://www.vintageprojects.com/metal-welding/SandBlaster-plans.pdf

but made the fittings as such for soda blasting. You can buy the conversion here:

1/2" Universal Soda Blasting Retro Fit Kit - Convert Pressure Blaster into Soda Blaster - Eastwood

For that price I decided to make my own. It took me a little massaging of the fittings to get the venturi effect so it didnt plug, but works great now!

Erik

BTW, Sodium doesn't remove rust real well at all. It does work really well at removing paint. It will not hurt rubber, chrome or glass.

I would be curious to know if soda blasting will remove paint from wood without damaging the wood. I have used plastic media with low pressure on hard hickory spoke wheels. But media blasting is too rough on softer wood like brass era car bodies. Anyone tried soda on something like maple, ash, oak or birch?

• 1 year later...