a few pictures from Charlotte show

Guest Moepar

Guest Moepar

A few pics from yesterday.

The last one of the dog in front of the rear wheel of a Model A is a member of our club. They go everywhere with the pooch, & the pooch always wedges herself in front of the tire. Her new name is Wheel Chock. :rolleyes:

post-30917-143138196521_thumb.jpg

post-30917-143138196524_thumb.jpg

post-30917-143138196526_thumb.jpg

post-30917-143138196529_thumb.jpg

post-30917-143138196534_thumb.jpg

post-30917-143138196536_thumb.jpg

post-30917-143138196539_thumb.jpg

post-30917-143138196541_thumb.jpg

Thanks Wayne, more pics on the way - we're going to download ours this evening. Got in too late last night to even think computer! - but-what a great time in Charlotte!!! Thanks to Hornets Nest Region for another great weekend with plenty of sunshine, great treasure in the swap meet, beautiful cars and plenty of fun. Old car people are the greatest!

Terry

The 2010 Charlotte Meet was my very first AACA experience. I am a new member just joined in the fall of last year. I wanted to thank everyone involved for their friendliness and help. The meet was well organized down to whoever made arrangements for the weather. The positive comments I recieved on my car made the day even more enjoyable and the banquet afterwards was a real treat. Even with a 9 hour drive towing a trailer it was well worth it. I will make every attempt to attend again next year and bring a different Crosley to try to enter into the ranks of awardees. Thanks again to all!!

Guest dooscoop32

I was having a wonderful time at the Hornets Nest Region Charlotte AutoFair this past weekend. As much as I have had in the 33 years I have attended it. And it was Chamber of Commerce weather, too. All was well until the vandals who were roaming the speedway decided to spray paint the interiors of quite a few cars. And one of them was mine. It is a convertible so I guess that provided easy access to do such a thoughtless deed. They began on the dash on the passenger side and continued to the passenger door panel and with fluorescent orange paint! I have read on google that there is a link to the AACA site saying they have caught these idiots but when I try to look at it, it tells me I am not allowed access to that page. What is up with that? I would love to know the details on who they were and how old, etc..

This is something that should concern anyone who participates in such events.

post-67369-14313819725_thumb.jpg

Guest billybird

dooscoop32: The vandals got my car too. Fortunately, I have genuine leather seating and I was able to remove all traces of the mindless act with a 3M citrus pen, followed by Meguiars leather conditioner. When I filed my police report at about 2:15 Sat. I was told they had not caught the idiots at that time. I know we usually don't tolerate name calling on this web site, but I feel we'll overlook it in this instance.

Guest dooscoop32

I was parked on the front stretch in the Car Corral. Another car that was also spray painted was about 75 yards from mine.

Guest billybird

I was parked on the speedway side of the AACA merchandise tent; along the fence. I hear the cars were hit here and there throughout the showfield.

I wanted to thank everyone involved for their friendliness and help. The meet was well organized down to whoever made arrangements for the weather.

Dave, it was really great sharing the banquet with you Saturday night. Hope to see you at another AACA event in the future.

Wayne

Wayne;

Until I got back and saw your picture on this site, I had no idea that I was seated with a dignitary!! Your friendly conversation made dinner even more enjoyable. Thanks to you and the folks from the Hornets Nest Region for treating a newbie such as my self so kindly. The whole experience has positively reinforced my decision to join the club. I neglected to mention that I also attended judging school and apprentice training. That whole experience also was extremely positive. I am looking forward to doing it again here at home (I live about an hour from Hershey). I'm already looking forward to coming to Charlotte next year and attending other AACA events.

Dave

Well thank you Dave and no! no dignitary, just one of the many gophers:o, whoops! committee members:), that help with little projects around the AACA.

As a matter of fact, every AACA banquet table is full of the many committee members that do a lot of the background work that keeps the AACA humming. And, humming it is. Terry Bond mentioned at the membership roundtable on last Friday, that despite our ailing economy, our membership is actually a little up this year.

We just need to keep trying to get the word out. Your comments about your enjoyable show goes a long way in helping us, "Pass the word"!

Wayne

This little black jewel was especially interesting. (Sorry, no owner names) It had a small flat head V8 (V8 60??) with a reversed rotation engine, requiring the cam to be reground in a reverse rotation. It also got its fuel mixture from the exhaust side and blew out the mixture through the former intake valves. This was supposedly done to have the engine rotate its mass to the left side of the car to help get it around the track faster. Experts here can comment or add to that if you like. The engine was very cold natured on certification day, as it kept loading up the carbs. Not enough time was available to get the little beauty warmed up. A shame!

Check out those carbs!!! ;)

post-31395-143138197418_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138197421_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138197424_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138197427_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138197431_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138197434_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138197437_thumb.jpg

I have uploaded all of my pictures on the gallery site. Now, for a few interesting pictures.

First, this fellow. For those of you that know Marshall Van Winkle, could any of you imagine as being this young?? Marshall had this picture displayed in front of his Model T, along with enough preservation boards to remodel my den. :)

Wayne

post-31395-143138197456_thumb.jpg

Here's my buddies, Terry Bond and Ron Barlop cooling it under the membership tent, while poor Wayne was trying to sign up memberships.:cool: Actually Don had been there most of the day, but wow, at about 3pm, I signed up two new members in 10 minutes. They must have heard about a run on the membership applications???

This second picture is of a Bentley that showed up late, complete with blacked out lights and the whole WWII, we're at war, bit. Really strange seeing this car dressed like this. Included is an engine shot!

post-31395-14313819746_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138197464_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143138197467_thumb.jpg

Edited by R W Burgess
Gee, I automatically thought it was a Mercedes! DUH! (see edit history)

This picture is important, guys!!!

Joe Gagliano, Top Dog of the Louisville 75th Meet, is explaining to us the commemorative (easy for Wayne to spell, thanks Google) license plate that all attendees will receive. The two diamonds attached to the plate will mean that your antique car was not only in the show (one diamond), but also toured the Louisville area tours (second diamond). Let me tell you, I almost dropped this plate when it was handed to me. It is really special. If any of you miss this meet, you will forever be kicking yourself. This meet has many exciting things planned for AACA members, plus its indoors, WOW!

Wayne

post-31395-14313819747_thumb.jpg

This picture is important too guys!

At the membership roundtable on Friday, Steve Moskowitz shared the first prototype of the 75th Anniversary AACA Book. This book is special, and it's on sale right now for a few more weeks. The book has many highlighted pictures from AACA history, that most of you will certainly recognize. They are also many really cool pullouts that you can frame separately, or leave in the book. Either way, I was very pleased to be able to thumb through the prototype.

Order yours today and save a few bucks....you know you want it!

Wayne

post-31395-143138197483_thumb.jpg

Let me tell you about Lloyd, pictured here behind his wife's car. Lloyd is from Columbus (?) Ohio. He was talking to another gentleman, when I walked up. Lloyd was relating some antique car history lessons from life to his friend. Don't all of us have them? I got real interested and sat on the ground to listen in.

Lloyd was explaining how this friend of his had a very nice Model A, I think it was, that was not following the maintenance manual of "retard to start, advance to run" instructions. Seems the car would start fine, but on advance, it would sputter and quit running to the embarrassment of its owner. This car had been worked on many times, and old Lloyd figured that, just maybe, it had been worked on a few times, too many! Lloyd checked the plugs, fine-fire there, then he checked the distributor and found spark at retard, but not at advance. Ummm!!????

Lloyd finally found a naked wire inside the distributor that would rub the inside housing when the advance plate was moved to advance. Lloyd decided to let the owner, a lady know that she could easily put an electronic ignition inside this Model A and solve all future electrical problems with her "ride". But, of course this change would render the retard/advance lever inoperable. No problem, right?

Wrong, seems our lady friend likes the idea of moving the lever back and forth. :D

Well long story short, if you ever see a lady explaining her Model A problems and them being cured by my new friend, Lloyd, please pay attention to her working the lever on startup.

The lever does not do anything anymore, but she still likes to move it back and forth!!!!?????? :eek::D

I know, I do some strange things too, and you can laugh at me... makes the day go by faster.

Wayne

post-31395-143138197487_thumb.jpg

Wes;

I can assure you the pleasure was all mine. It was great to see the young people like your son there also. (pretty sharp kid by the way, you should be proud) In fact, It seemed to me that the young men and ladies outclassed us older guys in the school!!! It is always encouraging to see the future in action!!! I look forward to seeing all my classmates again, if not before then see you at Hershey!!!

Dave

This picture is important, guys!!!

Joe Gagliano, Top Dog of the Louisville 75th Meet, is explaining to us the commemorative (easy for Wayne to spell, thanks Google) license plate that all attendees will receive. The two diamonds attached to the plate will mean that your antique car was not only in the show (one diamond), but also toured the Louisville area tours (second diamond). Let me tell you, I almost dropped this plate when it was handed to me. It is really special. If any of you miss this meet, you will forever be kicking yourself. This meet has many exciting things planned for AACA members, plus its indoors, WOW!

Wayne

Indoors AND air conditioned!:D

Guest billybird

I was at this venue for the 1997 National Meet. It was inside then too. I understand since then the property has recieved major renovations. Looking forward to it. However, I understand that for security reasons, Ford no longer is giving factory tours. I really enjoyed that tour in 1997. As for inside and air conditioned shows; I wish that idea would catch on!