'24 but what?

Guest Roger_Roy

Guest Roger_Roy

Hi all,

Dragged home a 1924 for little bits and pieces, if I didnt it woud be scrap so Im going to wreck it on Ebay. what is it though? things like the front stub axles seems a bit more chunky than Im used to, same with the differential it looks a bit "big" compaired to the '26's I had . photos of the poor thing are here buick pictures by torana68 - Photobucket

CHASSIS 12339?0 ENGINE1258453

any ideas? if anyone wants something let me know if i can help I will (ebay item No. 180474683955)

Roger

edit: did the '24 six become the '25 Master?

Edited by Roger_Roy
additional info maybe (see edit history)

Roger,

You are correct. The 1924 6-cylinder engine became the 1925 Master six. They are the same displacement, etc.

Do you have any of the distributor parts? I am looking for that. Need a lot more parts, but the freight from Australia would cost a small fortune. Nice of you to save this. I did the same thing with a 1925 coupe last year that was headed for the landfill, and am trying to find the missing parts that I need to make it a complete car.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

This was a 1924 Master model 49 7 passenger open touring car. The dash board has the gauges of the 49 and it can't be a model 55 because that model has the built in trunk rack and different gas tank among a number of other differences. Very rare car here in the US. Only saw one once and somebody turned it into compilation of 1924 and 1925 parts.

Guest Roger_Roy

Do you have any of the distributor parts? I am looking for that. Need a lot more parts, but the freight from Australia would cost a small fortune.

Pete, no distributor but if you think of anything small Ill go look, postage for small not too heavy stuff is cheaper from here to you than the other way round. '25 Coupe? shame shame shame, looks like the cost to restore is at a point where few want to commit.

This was a 1924 Master model 49 7 passenger open touring car.

thanks Bubba, woud have been a nice thing, this car is rumoured to be an ex-Police vehicle but that could be an urban myth

Roger

thanks Bubba, woud have been a nice thing, this car is rumoured to be an ex-Police vehicle but that could be an urban myth

Roger

Roger,

Interesting point about being an ex Police vehicle.

In Western Australia and other Australian states Police Departments only had small vehicle fleets, mostly in the state capital and major regional centres.

In many smaller stations ( 1 and 2 man shows ) the officer supplied his own vehicle and was paid " mileage " at the government rate. Certainly in the West Buicks were favoured by these officers, generally purchased 2nd hand and used in some of the remotest areas. A number of years ago I owned the remains of a 1929 Buick Tourer which had belonged to the Sgt of Police at Meekatharra during the late 30's and 40's.

This was still the practice well into the 1970's and was a result of sparse population and immense areas to police ( Western Australia is the biggest single Police jurisdiction in the world - almost 1/3 of Australia ) and it was far more economical to pay mileage on a private car than supplying and maintaining a vehicle.

So a big tourer like the remains you have could well have been used in this manner. I know in the 1920's Dalgety's ( Stock and Station Agents ) were the Buick dealers in Western Australia so there would have been a better chance of getting parts for a Buick in the bush than any other make.

post-31244-143138179831_thumb.jpg

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Roger:

1,233,9?0 is a frame number issued by Buick to a 1924 model 45X, so it's going out of old Yankeeland for sure. The engine number of 1,258,453 is the right original engine for the car.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Roger I'm not sure if the 23 and 24 buick distributor were the same ..the starter generator looks the same. If so I have one...I think the original thought of donor car might though be your best option> Was exciting conjecture that you had a model 49 but Dave got to the bottom of it as a 45X.

I recently aquired a 1923 model 49 and I don't think there are too many of these left either. see attached

post-53510-14313818051_thumb.jpg

post-53510-143138180514_thumb.jpg

post-53510-143138180517_thumb.jpg

Guest Roger_Roy

... thanks all, having fun carefully removing bits, It cant stay in the back yard long, Im sure you can guess why :)

Dave, I don't doubt your finding that this is a model 45. The reason that I came up with a 49 was because of the dash which is definitely not a 45. I looked at the picture again and it's possible that the dash is not original to the car judging by the looks of it. Measuring the wheelbase would be the definitive way to tell but I'm sure you're correct.

Could you please tell me what is s/n 1212520 and motor 1289981 and when it was made?

thanks,

bubba

Guest Roger_Roy

... doesnt look like the dash has ever been out, original colour is either blue or black (or really dark blue if I polish the blue oxidation off it looks black to me) wb measures 120"

had a closer look, the original colour was black then something like cobalt blue painter over :)

Edited by Roger_Roy
more info! (see edit history)

Guest Roger_Roy

Ok so if someone tells me its a rare prototype Police special I wont be happy , they didnt do them till 1930 did they? whats the below bracket do? I dont remember seeing one there on other early Buicks?

Roger

this is LHS where y'all put the steering box ( wrong spot for that really )

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j291/torana68/Hoath/buick/buickpartsbracket.jpg

Edited by Roger_Roy
more info! (see edit history)