starter switch 1915 1916

bobs1916

Bob,

I'm not sure how you ascertined your car is a July '16. But as Vern stated the 4 wire Model 'D' starter/generator was used up to car 90,000 or Sept '16. On that the starter switch would be the rounded aluminum casting mounted on the bell housing. However, a cast Iron floor mount replacement switch was available from N/E if there was a problem early on and could be the case here. I hope this helps.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Roger

thanks that is what I was after. My car is 76XXX range and should have but not installed 4 wire starter generator. So IF I was to install the 4 wire (now there is a 2 wire installed) the correct starter would be the bell housing mounted unit. Thank you.

Now a dumb question... how was the early starter switch engaged when it is mounted on bell housing??? Is there a portion that comes through the floor board?? Or a pedal attached to it????

bob

Edited by bobs1916 (see edit history)

Bob,

there is a round plate mounted on the floorboards with a slot in it, and a starter pedal goes through that to the switch. My floorboard has the plate, but I don't have the switch, and there's a two wire generator/starter on my engine! Another, "What the heck??" mystery on my car. (may, '16) Nice to know that there was a replacement floor box switch used.

David D.

Bob,

I Didn't get to the computer for a while. I will see if I can get to the car (it's stored at a friend's place) and take some pics, I don't have any on my computer (that's a surprise!). My car also has the magneto ignition, does yours?Also, the speedometer remains on my car has an 'offset' cable connection; it doesn't come out bottom center, but off to the right side, but straight down. I haven't seen anything like that in my searching (and not enough of the speedo left to use!)

David D.

Bob,

Haven't been able to get to the car yet, will try on my way home tomorrow. My car is in the high 64,XXX numbers, engine is in the low 115,XXXs--probably very late mag set-up. Like I stated, haven't found any other speedos with the offset drive. I should take a pic of it too. Here's a pic of an original switch, but it doesn't have the plate. I forget where I got this pic, I have it so I know what to look for!

David D.

post-40331-143138179821_thumb.jpg

David thanks

Do you have that switch???

I just got one but it is missing the pedal. I can probably make one . If you have it could you measure the length width of both the shaft and the pedal Thanks again. When I got my 16 serial 76xxx, engine 125xxx it had been fitted with a NE distributor which I replaced. RAH tells me that this car and yours came with one of those early starters. Maybe one day I will see about rebuilding and reinstalling it.

bob

Bob,

Sorry, no--just the picture! Here's some pics of my car--it's been sitting under a tarp for a while. so the cobwebs are thick. There's a close-up of the switch floor plate, and you can see how close it is to that board's edge; it appears the bottom side is clipped to clear the aluminum trim. There's also a pic of the starter/gen that's currently on my car (the one that was on it when I got it--and has been there for at least 3 decades). And a pic of my speedo remains--and you can see the floor plate in it too. I tried to get a pic of the drive connection--on my speedo, it is right behind the setting wheel, pointing straight down.

It's great comparing notes with cars from relatively similar dates

David D.

PS I do have the correct Roller "amp meter" to fit that hole (Looks like someone put in a Ford style gauge at one time!)

post-40331-143138180385_thumb.jpg

post-40331-143138180389_thumb.jpg

post-40331-143138180392_thumb.jpg

Dave,

That's what Bob & I have been posting about, we both have later starter/generators on our cars, which makes sense for a car that was in use and needed repair--what's odd about my car is that the is no appearance of the "box switch" being on it--however, all I have is the plate on the floorboard, no switch!! This car sat in a field for a few decades, so stuff could have been taken off it--for instance, I have very little wiring. My engine number is 115, XXX so I think it's the original.

Guest Backyardmechanic

The starter generator is a model G also the carb. is not for the 1915-1916 as the mounting to the block is different from the earlier .AS it would have a "goose neck"mounting if the engine had a Model D starter Generator. I would suggest the engine may have been swap out.

Vern

Vern,

So you think they would have stamped the earlier number on my block? It does have the early style water pump mounting, if that is any indication. Won't the later gooseneck mount to the block just like the earlier one? I will try to get more engine pictures tomorrow.

David D.

PS This is starting to stray from the starter switch question!

Bob, did my pictures help any??

Dave

YES pictures were perfect/ I got my switch and now I can fabricate the pedal THANKS

My car was in a barn in Wisconsin for 50 years. It came with the later 2 wire generator/starter The later non gooseneck carb and the box type NE starter switch.

When I restored it I replaced the carb but left the generator IT WORKED. I do have an untested 4 wire starter generator but I don't want to mess with a running car. Here is a picture of what it looked like when I got it. I will try to get a picture of the engine as it now is soon . It is apparent that as these cars needed repairs they simply were retrofitted with the then current equipment. My engine is also original to the car as yours is . BOB

http://www.globalarray.net/user/bobspics/1916Dodge.jpg

Wow Bob, that's neato! I wish my car had been half as good when I got it, but I can't complain (I was after the T motor in the shed, but look what I ended up with! Oh well. . . .). I didn't get to the car Thursday, and now must wait until after the Sabbath to go over where it's stored. So maybe after work on Sunday (yeah, I get to work weekends this next month) I can stop in and take some pics.

Glad my pics helped.

David D.

Bob,

"Remains" egads it looks more complete than my car did when I first got it. Unfortunately, I doubt I can afford another one!

I got the pictures Sunday, but last night the phone company flaked on me while trying to download them. So here they are now, both sides of the engine and an offset dog leg that I have. You will notice that I haven't started the chassis restoration yet!

I may even have the correct starter in a pile of DB starters I bought, but they are up in another storage shed. Will have to wait a bit until I can find them.

BTW, I just received an April '16 "Book of Information" and all the features seem to be correct for my car! cool!! I will have to scan in the dash illustration, as it shows the starter switch trim, etc.

post-40331-143138183942_thumb.jpg

post-40331-143138183948_thumb.jpg

post-40331-14313818395_thumb.jpg

Well, off work today sick, but felt well enough by this afternoon to walk up to my storage and check. RATS!! I have three starter/generators sitting there, but they are all the later type. Guess I have to keep looking, or put a late type switch in my car.

David D.

Bob,

Very cool! I'm thinking of painting my body (my car's body, that is!) a very, very, very, dark blue--looks like black in the shade, with black fenders, etc. I think that will set off the Dodge blue wheels.

But, of course, I'm a loooong ways away from that decision!

David D.

How about a close pic of your dash?