Help needed Airfreight from Melbourne Australia to Louisville Kentucky

oldcar

:)That is 100% correct! I need to obtain some figures for Airfreight of one medium sized vintage car (Dixie Flyer) from Melbourne Australia to Louisville Kentucky or the nearest suitable airport. In time for the AACA 75th Anniversary celebrations commencing June 30th.

Any help or advice gratefully accepted.

Bernie J.

Try the Melb yellow pages. There are 747 / DC10 / MD11 air freighters into MEL on regular runs. At work we air freighted 10 tonne of steel from Germany - not a problem (just pay the $$)

Thanks 1939_Buick. I have already done that exercise and it is the $$$$ that are causing concern. Sometimes a little "networking" helps. My problem is that I really need the extra 6 weeks that is the difference between sea and air freight,

Bernie J.

If you plan to keep the car here, you can title, license, and insure it here. Depending what state you the car is in, the title and license plates will very. Some states, like Pennsylvania, require the car be inspected for being road worthy before issuing a license plate. Do you plan to sell the car or license in the USA? In Ohio, the title is about $10.00. The yearly license plates for a car runs about $50.00 when using the car as an everyday driver. You can purchase Antique Plates for a vehicle over 24 years old for about $5.00 and they are good for 30 or 40 years. The restriction is you can only drive the car for special events like tours, parades, etc. You can not use it to drive to work, the store, or for normal daily driving. Ohio does not require an inspection to issue plates.

Hello Huptoy

I am considering selling it before we leave. Your Antique Plates sound similar to our Club Permit plates only thing is that we have to renew them every year which costs just over $100. This scheme is about to change to a 90 Day Log-book. With this you can drive anywhere at any time but the Log-book must be filled out before departing from home showing destination and milage at start of journey.

Bernie J

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Good news, you can use your Australia license plates while you drive it in Louisville at the 75th. You should have the AU title and proof of insurance. This is if a policeman should stop you. If you wind up in an accident, the police will need to see your insurance company and proof of coverage. If you keep it here and not sell it, then you should title it and add the license plates. The buyer will be responsible to title and get plates.

If you don't sell it in Louisville, the car show, swap meet, and car corral at Hershey, Pa in October is the largest event in the USA. The car corral cost about $85.00. You must be a member of the AACA to get a car corral site. The event draws about 100,000 people in 3 days. There are ample number of shippers and places to store your car.

Thanks Huptoy

I had thought that would be the case. We take the Lagonda To UK & Europe and drive it there on its Australian plates the sole requirement there is that you take out the local compulsory insurance. The one policy covers us for the whole of the EU.

Bernie.