1937 Rear Wheel Hub Puller

drdon

I can't seem to get the hubs off the 37 I am working on. I once saw a picture of a hub puller for 37s, that, if I remember right, hooked onto the wheel lugs, and had a hole in the center that you drove a special wedge down through to loosen the wheel? If they exist, can someone point me to one? If not, what is as good or better. Thanks.

The type of puller that you probably need has three arms with holes for the drum studs and a threaded shaft in the center. There is a "T" that you slip onto the end and you whack that part with a hammer. Most tool rental shops have them or maybe a tool outlet store. I have seen them online very cheap, too. This one is on ebay right now...

post-37352-143138163216_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Don. I don't know if this would be any help but , wheel pullers were not readily avialable when I needed to remove a hub from an 1928 Plymouth ( a car from the dark side ) so all I did was loosen the nut back about 3 turns and drove the car around the paddock and checked it about every 50 metres or so. Took some 15 minutes but the wheel came loose. This type of wheel was fitted with a keyway and a fine thread that held the axle into the housing.

I am not a big fan of hammers and old iron.

Another way maybe is to cut a small tin can into the shape that will fit as a cup into which you can pour some penetrene or simmular and leave for a couple of days siliconed onto the stub, then take if off and apply heat so that the lubricant when reapplied soaks into the stub further and so on, THEN apply the wheel puller if you have one,

So much fun should be enjoyed with a couple of beers an a milk crate to sit on.

The illustrated puller is the correct one. Put the axle nut on the axle backwards and flush with the end of the axle shaft. This prevents the end of the axle from mushrooming when tension is applied to the puller. Make sure the wheel nuts are tight when you install the puller. Tighten the puller screw with a wrench as much as possible, put the T bar on it and hit it as hard as you can with the biggest hammer in your arsenal! Two pound short handled sledges work well :-). That may break it loose. If not, hit the end of the puller screw hard. If repeating this doesn't produce results, leave the tension on it and walk away. Come back to it the next day. With luck it will have come loose.

Terry