2010 National: Driven Class Rules

Patrick W. Brooks

Then the question, given this has some "traction" with the BCA members. Where would the age or distance (if BCA went the age/diastance combination route) be set? Would there be an award, beyond a dash plaque, for cars up to weeks old? Would we say 10 years old, 5 years old, 1 year old?

At present it seems we have two discussions here. One is drawing new BCA members and the other to reward those that have drivers that are not within the Driven Class criteria, as broad as it is at present.

Would this draw a lot of new members to the BCA? What to other specific make clubs do?

John

Patrick,

I certainly like your concept of a Modern Driving Class. As John mentions, further details/rules would be figured out. Again though, wicked good concept (New England expression)!!

Why all the emphasis on awards ???? I gave most of my trophies from drag racing to the Boy Scouts to rebadge and give to the kids !!

Just come to the meet and snjoy each other. You might just learn what this hobby is about, and it is NOT trophies.

Ah, but you wouldn't feel that way if you were supplying the trophies. :D (Speaking from experience :P)

Recognition (via awards trophies) is good when it's received, and for some time afterward. Eventually, though, they can lose their value as time progresses or the particular car is sold . . . unless there are too many great memories involved. To me, that's reality . . . then you have to find some place to put them.

To me, it's still possible to have fun at a meet, but the level of fun is not always determined by which trophies or awards might be taken home when it's all over. Most of the fun is usually about what it took to "get there", with the trophies being the icing on the cake (sugar-free icing, possibly). Everybody has their own perspective on these things, which I respect.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

(Experienced BCA 400 Point Trophy Builder--TWICE)

Good Morning All: As I read the postings it seemed to me that there was simply a level of frustration similar to that which existed when the Driven Class and Modified Classes were created. The award for the Driven Class is a medallion and not a trophy. The Driven Class awards are delivered on the field and not at the Banquet. I would envision a class with almost no limitations, except being a Buick or modified Buick and be driven to the meet. Someone creative person should take a stab at the rules and collect a petition of support through the web. An article for the Bugle could also be written. Then get a BCA Board member to put it on the Board meeting schedule and move forward. This appears to be low effort and administration situation and yet is very important. I would be happy to appear in Ames at the Board meeting to speak in support of a Modern Driven Class, or whatever it might be called. The more people and cars we can include the better. What do others think?? Patrick W. Brooks:)

I have enjoyed reading these posts. To give some background-I've been a 'car guy' since a young pup in the '50s-and the son of one. I started washing and waxing with dad and into the '60s while moving into doing the mechanicals with Chev-Pont-Buick mainly. I've mostly enjoyed the 'car world' to this date. I've found the Buick (BCA-ROA mid '90s) world somewhat elitist myself, and think more focus on 'driving' is a good thing. I have been told that only about half of folks at shows want to be judged and that number is dropping. If that is the true, possibly a reaction to their perception of 400 pt? Also, I know that Paul S. 'gets dirty' when around his Buicks-as do I and likely others who have posted. However, I feel that we are increasingly the minority in the Buick world. (Hey-I can win for cleanest oil and highest compression!)

I agree that this seems doable at the next BOD meeting and I thank Pat for stepping up to present this to the BOD.

Because it just isn't realistic to expect brass or nickel cars to travel great distances due to their age and rarity (not to mention that it would take significantly longer to get there). My previous suggestion for recognition of the combination of age and distance was originally intended to recognize the significance of driving older cars relatively short distances to national meets. I beleive it would also serve to recognize those who drive later model cars long distances to attend national meets. Either way it would serve to better recognize the accomplishment.

I think just adding age and distance or a combination of those numbers to a simple dash plaque for all the driven class cars would be great. Those little refrigerator magnets with graphics and printing can be made overnight at most local copy shops.

That was my last 2 cents on this topic too....

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)