Unusual tool....?????

37PackardMan

Here is a puzzling tool.

One end has a hexagon maybe an early Packard hubcap tool.

the other end has a pentagon and two holes .

any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking....

Bob

post-38845-143138156481_thumb.jpg

This might be a stretch, but the pentagon looks just like the top of a fire hydrant bolt for opening the valve. The other end might be for taking the cap off???? just a guess

I believe Larry is correct.

Guest Robin Coleman

I do not think this is a hydrant wrench. The valve stem and caps on a plug are pentagon shaped. This tool is too short to allow sufficient leverage plus the ears on the end would hinder fire operations. I have never seen an octagon shape anywhere on fire apparatus. BTW...I am a retired vol. firefighter in Marion, AR. If it is a plug wrench it is the wierdest one I have ever seen.

I agree, I don't know what it is but, If it is a hydrant wrench, it is very old. I was a volunteer firefighter in the 1970's and we did not have any tools like that. I have also never seen one like that in any historical displays at a firehouse.

The function of the "Dogears" is called a SPANNER WRENCH, one that engages lugs on the component being loosened or tightened.

Have you taken a power wire wheel to this piece to try to uncover any identification markings? A tool part number might ID who made it and what it was dedicated to do. Stude8