Riviera Picture

BUICK RACER

I don't know which I miss more--REAL Buicks like the Riviera, or GM being the dominant brand, making cars in the US by AMERICAN workers.

That photo is priceless, and reminds me of a way of life that may be disappearing before our very eyes.....

Thanks for that photo, Roberta!

Joe

I would like to go back in time and buy that Riviera new off the showroom floor, for whatever resale was at that time, and then I'd bring it back (somehow).

Get yourself a "flux capacitor", install it and go for it!

Inquiring minds would like to know : If the car is fully assembled off the frame, is it true that the front fenders and hood are not attached to the body at this point? And if so, how did they manage to match the paint on the front end components, when they may not have been needed for several days yet?

Inquiring minds would like to know : If the car is fully assembled off the frame, is it true that the front fenders and hood are not attached to the body at this point? And if so, how did they manage to match the paint on the front end components, when they may not have been needed for several days yet?

#1 Yes, at Fisher Body, then trucked to Buick Final Assembly to be matched up with frame, engine installed and front clip

#2 Could have been painted together, and I wasn't there, so don't know. But do know that later stuff, like trucks, and '86 GNs the front clip was painted in a seperate spraybooth. hence sometimes there was a difference is color, texture(orange peel, metal flakes, etc.)

#3 They used paper tags on parts, and then computer punch cards, and now use bar codes or RFID on parts/carriers

Guest windjamer
:D Roberta, What do you think the chances are you could get it out of there one piece at a time like Johny Cash and that Caddy?:D

I don't know about a whol;e car, but I heard people that worked in a shop where they chrome plating midsize parts, would carry in a pair of headers rigged as a lunch pail, and carry them out chrome plated. This was in the 50s, so I am fairly sure the statute of limitations has expired, but don't ask me where, or when this occured.

John