What is welting???

Guest buckfarmer

Guest buckfarmer

I was reading one of the threads below and it talks about welting for the rear fenders. I have a 30-57 that has been attempted to be restored twice before, so it is incorrect in many places. I was wanting to know if my car is supposed to have welting as well and what it is?

Thanks for any help Neil

Welting is the bead of material that goes between the fender and the body. Think of it as looking like a tadpole, with a round head, and a tail that slips between the fender and body as it is bolted on, to fill the gap and give a finished look. It's usually a piece of black vinyl, wrapped around a cord, and sewed. Tail should be at least 2 inches long, and cut out where bolts hold fender on. Hope this helps.

and here are some picture examples. Fender Welting & Cowl to Fender Seals

for what it is worth, it seems like the early teens and 20s cars did not have them. Neither my 23 or 28 had welting around the back fenders. I do not believe my fenders on the 28 had been off the car, but then you never know for sure. I added welting to give it a finished look, but left it off the 23. To each is own I guess.

Forgot, lots of folks just cut an inverted V and slide the welting over the mounting screws/bolts. Over time the welting has a tendency to creep out between the two pieces due to friction and pressure. What I do is measure carefully, remove the screw/bolt, and use a paper punch to make a round hold. Yes, it might still creep, but still will be be held in place by the cloth and will not work it way all the way out. This is especially for the ends of the runs.

Edited by unimogjohn
added info on mounting with a hole versus a cut (see edit history)

The term welting is also used to describe the interior trim that is used to cover upholstery seams/edges and give a finished look. Same concept in that a cord is wrapped in fabric or vinyl prior to its application.

Thanks,

I believe that the term for the interior type is called "windlace". Here are two examples of fender welting...one vinyl and one cloth and vinyl.

post-37352-143138146739_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138146743_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I was reading one of the threads below and it talks about welting for the rear fenders. I have a 30-57 that has been attempted to be restored twice before, so it is incorrect in many places. I was wanting to know if my car is supposed to have welting as well and what it is?

Thanks for any help Neil

Here in Pennsylvania Dutch country, velting is vat ya do to schtick two hunks uf schteel togeter.........Bob

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 23touring

Neither of my 23 tourings have fender welting. I did not see a listing for it in my parts list books (23, 24 and master ~1918-1932). Soooo, did 23s use welting or not? My feeling is not, but maybe someone has better info? Maybe the metal on metal is why the front fenders always seem to be rusted along the bottom edge.