1930's Super 8 versus Twelve

scott12180

Twunk Rack,

I worry that you are not emphasizing your points enough. You've tried ALL CAPS, exclamation points, and bold, often together. Perhaps you could try extra-large fonts, or different colors? I'm reminded of what President Roosevelt said on the news last night: You have nothing to fear but fear itself!

(Oh, and I should add that I would buy an open 8 over a closed 12. But I am partial to convertibles.)

Mr Twunk Rack,

I question whether you are experiencing all the "perks" the Packard Twleve chassis had to offer its buyer when new by installing those 3.23 gears. One of the joys of driving a properly set up Packard Twelve is driving it in a residential area, slowing down to go around a corner to say, 3 mph or so, then pulling away briskly and smoothly, without even a hint of chatter - all the while staying in 3rd gear. I question whether you can do that with 3.23 gears. Have you ever started out from a dead stop IN 3rd gear? You can do that too with the "stock" rear end gears from the factory. Not saying it's something you'd do all the time, but it is fun to impress people with this feat. Obviously the downfall of "stock" gearing is the engine is screaming away at 60 MPH, but I always thought gearing in the high 3's would be a good enough compromise to enjoy 60 - 65 MPH all day long AND still give you some of the flexibility of not having to shift back into 2nd at lower speeds.

In talking about the 32 - 34 Twelve engine versus the 1935 - 39 I think one thing that was not mentioned was that starting in 1935, Packard used aluminum heads with a higher compression ratio. I thought the higher compression ratio gave a little better gas mileage too. That's why when guys with later Twelves put earlier cast iron heads on (due to corrosions problems on the aluminum ones) they saw their gas mileage drop. This was back in the 1950's - 1970's when people actually drove these cars.

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

Re "bigger is better", I am reminded that Ettore Bugatti reportedly once sneered, "Mister Bentley builds the fastest trucks in Europe."

Not that anyone has offered, but if given the choice of a Su 8 Darrin Convertible or a 12 formal sedan, I'd opt for the ragtop over the bus.

The market and I prefers open cars Jr and Sr over a closed Packard, but what a bargain a closed senior Packard is.

In regards to coupe roadster vs victoria, I vote for the coupe roadster. You get two different great looking cars with a 32 roadster. With the coupe roadster and the top up you have a elegant look, with the top down, you have a very sporty look. Either way you have a great looking car. With the Victoria with the top up you have a very elegant car, with the top down, sorry but IMHO doesn't look as good as with the top up. Just my opinion. Again my compariosn was with the 32-34 model styles.

However my vote would be for a V12 in any open body over a Super 8.

You do have the avantage of the Victoria of having a two door convertible with enclosed seating for 4 passengers.

Then the other conversation is Super 8 vs Standard 8 pre-37.

I'm sure a Packard 12 is an excellent car, and Packard gave its customers their money's worth.

For the sake of argument I will even specify that they were the greatest car the world has ever seen, if it makes you happy.

So why didn't everyone buy one? Why did people buy Packard Eights and even Fords?

Some didn't need such a car, some couldn't afford one, some preferred something else.

The same today. How many rich people today buy Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches and Bentleys because they are supposed to be the greatest? And how many wish they had stuck with their Cadillac, BMW or even Toyota?

You can have your Packard 12. You can call it the greatest car the world has ever seen. I'm not arguing that. I only suggested the questioner might want to drive both cars and see if, FOR HIM, the more expensive car was really worth the money.

Some people HONESTLY prefer another car over a Packard 12. It's unfair to suggest that anyone who does not agree with you on this point is stupid, ignorant, or somehow inferior.

Although I have driven a 1937 Packard Super Eight, I have only ridden in three 1938 Packard Twelves. I don't feel I could help much as to which you would find more pleasurable. As to broader question of a Super Eight or a Twelve, I own and drive a 1933 Twelve and a 1934 Super Eight, both are Convertible Sedans and are mechanically as new.

Acceleration is virtually identical as is their weight to power ratio. However, the Twelve is smoother. Braking is also about the same. The Twelve has more square inches of braking area to compensate for additional weight. Steering, again about the same, however the Super Eight seems to be slightly lighter. Subjectively, the engine compartment of the Twelve is hard to beat.

When asked which I prefer, I respond that each has its own personality, I love both. Gee, I wasn't much help. Look at it this way, whichever you pick, it will be a good choice.

• 2 weeks later...

For 1937 production, they called the much smaller Packard Standard Eight of 320 cu. in. a "Super Eight". It used the same body sheet metal and dash as the Twelves, on a lighter chassis. Nowhere near as fancy upholstery or trim, and much less satisfying to drive than the V-12. Dont mis-understand...within ITS price range it was competitive. Be assured of this - Packard did not gyp its customers. You paid a LOT more for a Packard V-12, and you GOT YOUR MONEY'S WORTH.

Twunk Rac - a Packard Twelve purchaser of 1936 or 1938 might have disagreed that they got their money's worth or didn't get gyped. Recall that Packard dropped prices on the 1937 Twelve by $400 - $500 versus 1936, then raised prices around $600 in 1938. So you ain't kidd'n when you say "you paid a LOT more for a Packard V-12." Especially compared to... a Packard V12! Somebody got gyped all right, either 1936 and 1938 Packard Twelve owners or PMCC's 1937 Twelve profit margins.

The last part of the original question asked for purchase reasons "if buying a 'new car' in 1937." Given that 1937 was the best sales year for Twelves, one of the purchase reasons for getting a Twelve was undoubtedly lower prices.