1965 Riviera Gran Sport Registry

Patrick91914

I have started the 1965 Riviera Gran Sport Registry. The Registry's goal is to capture information on surviving (and destroyed) ’65 Gran Sports in a central location. The Registry will accept any data on including Vehicle ID numbers, data plate information (build dates. color/option codes), scanned window stickers, and photographs, etc for 65 Gran Sports. So, if you have a ’65 Riviera Gran Sport, please see the members only section on the ROA website or register your car by emailing your information to rivieraregistry@yahoo.com or call me at 619 410 7511. I will post a fax number shortly.

Also, for those of you who are fortunate enough to own a standard '65 regardless of condition (i.e., a non-GS), I hope to collect that information also.

Edited by Patrick91914 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Patrick,

You may not get much response from this forum. If I had to guess, less than 1% of the ROA membership frequent this board. Its the nature of the demographics.

You might want to try going to the ROA roster on the website. In many cases owners listed their car as GS if they had one. Maybe make a simple "fill-in-the-blank" form with the information you are seeking and mail it providing an SASE for response.

I have collected data from cars listed on ebay so watch that as well. The only concern there is making sure a car is a legitimate GS. Usually there is enough info to determine that but not always.

Patrick,

You may not get much response from this forum. If I had to guess, less than 1% of the ROA membership frequent this board. Its the nature of the demographics.

You might want to try going to the ROA roster on the website. In many cases owners listed their car as GS if they had one. Maybe make a simple "fill-in-the-blank" form with the information you are seeking and mail it providing an SASE for response.

I have collected data from cars listed on ebay so watch that as well. The only concern there is making sure a car is a legitimate GS. Usually there is enough info to determine that but not always.

Great minds think alike. I've already sorted the ROA roster and pulled out the GS owners with email addresses so that I canmake contact. There will also be a write-up in the Riviera in the near future.

Legitimacy is also a concern of mine; however, I have to believe that most folks who register a car will provide accurate info to the best of their knowledge. Besides, unless people submit concrete documentation, there is no way for the registry to confirm a car's pedigree. My hope is that potential GS owners join the club, read the GS identification article, apply that information during their purchase, and submit submit the car to the registry. That's a perfect scenario.

For cars that apprear to be questionable (e.g., ebay cars with misplaced emblems, no GS glovebox plate or whatever), I'll make a note in the registry.

• 11 months later...

Is it a true and known fact that all 65 GS's had the GS plate on the Glove Box Door? Is it possible that some GS's just had the standard Riviera by Buick tag?

Gungeey,

Did you check out that website? The GS Club is dedicated to the Skylark GS models and have added the Turbo Regals/Grand Nationals?GNX's to their fold.

There's a designated Wildcat class in the club also. I was citing for the OP with the thought of his conversing w them and perhaps converging. That is all. Steve

Is it a true and known fact that all 65 GS's had the GS plate on the Glove Box Door? Is it possible that some GS's just had the standard Riviera by Buick tag?

Mistakes are made but would not be correct - If I had a car that was a GS and it had the standard logo on the glove box door I would change it .

I have started the 1965 Riviera Gran Sport Registry. The Registry's goal is to capture information on surviving (and destroyed) ’65 Gran Sports in a central location. The Registry will accept any data on including Vehicle ID numbers, data plate information (build dates. color/option codes), scanned window stickers, and photographs, etc for 65 Gran Sports. So, if you have a ’65 Riviera Gran Sport, please see the members only section on the ROA website or register your car by emailing your information to rivieraregistry@yahoo.com or call me at 619 410 7511. I will post a fax number shortly.

Also, for those of you who are fortunate enough to own a standard '65 regardless of condition (i.e., a non-GS), I hope to collect that information also.

Pat , you need to add your Mini Cooper to the list of cars / bikes you have! Tell me , does the Mini really have a nailhead eng. and G/S emblems ? LOL

Mistakes are made but would not be correct - If I had a car that was a GS and it had the standard logo on the glove box door I would change it .

Was just wondering, as I have somebody going to look at a car for me that is for sale out of my state that is claimed to be a GS. This car does not have the GS glove box plate. I imagine by us checking the engine, carbs, transmission, and rear end numbers will tell the true story.