63 Wildcat 4 Speed For Sale

Guest BJM

So I guess I will be picky ( maybe because I am jealous and wish I could have it, but can't).... See why there are no pictures of the headliner and no mention of its condition... look in the visor mirror , it seems to show a ratty headliner. It also shows ratty to the back in the reflections in the chrome front seat back frames.

I'd love to see this posted with full representation of the car including the flaws.

I wonder what the rest of the chassis looks like and condition after it was likely run hard by a 'high school senior' .

Stlll, a Nice car!

Edited by ewing (see edit history)

Ratty? Shredded may be more like it. It's not a huge flaw, although it would cost some money to replace.

I agree that it would be nice to see the entire car properly represented. As soon as you see something like that, what else is there? Sounds like it may have been a back yard rebuild (perhaps due to the teenager driving it?), which may be high quality, but may not.

June 2009 Old Cars Price Guide puts a #1 at $21000.

NADA's high retail is $28,400.

Even without a premium for a 4 speed, $20k bid not meeting reserve and BiN price of $50k seems leaning toward the outrageous.

Well.. price guides sort of go out the window if it is one of single digits.

It's like the swiss cheese Pontiacs. You'd have a group of potential buyers pointing to price guides and claiming little interest then wham! it'd be like yelling fire in a crowded theatre watching the collectors try and buy them.

I really don't personally like sellers who advertise the way this fellow has. I believe I remember Pete's 63 Convertible ad where the seller was sort of honest and straight forward.

But when sellers state "if you are already looking at this auction, then you know what we have" just sort of drips with condescendingness.

I think the bottom line is this car requires a thorough restoration. Motor is the wrong color, so needs pulled anyway and if it is what it is, then I want to rebuild the motor anyway.

Headliner may be in sad shape, but it is the original Starlite foam-covered cardboard headliner, and to have all 4 cardboard panels and the bows is something most do not have. These usually went bad in the first few years, and were replaced with regular fabric headliners as in the LeSabres.

He was asking $75,000 for it a year or so ago, but is now down to a BIN of $50,000. Maybe next year he'll be down to $25,000 and someone will bite.

We'll see...

But what is it's value?

Would non Buick ( i.e. swiss cheese / 409 / 427 Ford) guys be interested in it because of the rare manual shift feature?

Pete, according to the daily production sheets, 346 A7 series 4600 Wildcats in all bodystyles for 63 (344 A7 series 4400 LeSabres). So, in my honest opinion, the one of nine doesn't hold water. For some reason I did not get the body style production sheets, rather just the model, so I don't have the specific numbers yet for coupes, convertibles, 4-doors, etc.

BJM, yes the car is rare, but will never bring the dollars a SD Catalina, R-code Galaxie, 409 Chevy will. One reason is Buick never raced them, they were never produced with the sole purpose of going faster than the other cars. Why Buick even offered a 4-speed in their full-size car is a wonder to me. The car was bid up to $20K, which is about tops on its value (IMO). As much as I like these cars, they I just don't think they will ever be big dollar cars in line with the SDs and R-Codes - which is OK with me because even though very unique and rare, they are still affordable. Well, affordable except this particular one...

Matt,

Thanks for the numbers--I figured you would know, and I was pretty sure it was more than single digits. I also confess to having an ulterior motive in asking the question, because I want to do an article in the Bugle next year on 4-speed Wildcats, and this was an easier way of pulling the information out of you! Now, when are you and Ted Nagel (and anyone else who has one) going to send me info and photos of your cars?

Jake, I agree with Matt that the value of that car is somewhere around the $20,000 that it was bid up to--maybe just a bit more. Had the car been running, the seller could have gotten a bit more, although it looks like it would not take much to get it running. And, yes, they are worth that. If you ever drive one, you will understand why--it is such a different experience from driving the average Buick, and they are unbelievably fast.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

Darn it, I give in too easily! hehe. Give me a month or so, and I will have body style and engine breakdowns for 4400 and 4600 63s. As far as photos/info on the cars, just let me know what you need. I have them from complete field finds to nice unmolested multi-carbuerated drivers. The black 64 is still in a zillion pieces, so it may not be the best to see.

4400 series? That must be LeSabre. I remember hearing about a LeSabre 3 speed once - 1963, in the greater Kansas City area about 8-9 years ago but never a 63 LeSabre 4 speed car.

Even more so then a Wildcat, this would personify the weekend racer persona. I wouldn't mind having a 63 LeSabre post car with dog dish caps, a 401, 4 speed, bench seat and a mid 3.00's posi.

Matt,

didn't you bring a 63 Lesabre convertible 4 speed to the Dallas BCA National a few years back?

Yes, 4400 is LeSabre. BJM, The beater I drove down to Plano was a black LeSabre stick coupe, one of those spur-of-the-moment trips. I was not registered or anything, just wanted to see a lot of cool Buicks. Man did it rain. I think the LeSabre is still drying out...

Among the book of stories of that trip is the fact that we made it at all, as prior to the day we left the LeSabre had not been on the road since 1981. All I did was change the tires, change the oil, and a new coil and we hit the road. No problems other than on the return trip the original right T-3 low beam went out on the OK border at 1am. The only way I found out about it was the nice man in the car with the bright flashing red and blue lights was kind enough to tell me (oh, and a hubcap that flew into oblivion somewhere on a back road in N. Texas. I think excessive speed and curves might have been a factor there). Somehow I B.S.'ed my way out if a ticket, and the officer was nice enough to radio ahead to the others on the 25 mile stretch to the next town to not pull over a black Buick with a headlight out. Wal-Mart did not have the correct lamp, so I had to buy a square one and duct tape it onto the bezel. That was a good look. I don't know how to post pics or I'd show the 2am gas/headlight/duct tape/redbull pitstop.

Man what a fun trip!

• 3 weeks later...
Wildcat Nationals 2010 !

??????????? Ted, what's this about? Is there something going on with Wildcats specifically at the 2010 Nationals in Ames? I was planning on driving my Electra but now??? Thanks, Steve

the wildcat nationals will be at bowling green in 2010

Wildcat Challenge! - Page 6 - V8Buick.com

here is where it was started by wildbill scroll down to post 142

scott