Anyone know the year and make of this car

The picture was taken in Fertile, Iowa in 1916

Owen

30 Chevy

59 Retractable

65 GTO

Plus Others

post-64114-143138126766_thumb.jpg

"Manly Man weds Fertile Woman" We laughed about that headline down here when they printed that in the newspaper years ago.... Good luck figuring out what the car is.

Hi Folks,

Don’t mean to confuse but I note the bulge at the bottom of the bonnet a la the Maxwell plug flap. This seems a feature on the 1913 Saxon, which DID have eight louvers, rear catch and a middle handle on the bonnet. I would go with a cca 1913 Saxon.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

Classic Cars, Veteran Cars and Vintage Cars - The Surrey Vintage Vehicle Society

I think Vinman may well be right. I thought the photo was from a later vintage car, but after realizing that the car has gas lights, ( Good thing I keep my trusty Magnifine Glass by my side.) the car is pre 1914 for sure.

Say, I think that is a 1910 McCormick Deering Manure Speader in the back ground. :P A very rare piece indeed, as they all rotted away. :D Dandy Dave!

• 4 weeks later...

The roadster is a 1914 Saxon. You can tell by the driver's side bulge for the steering gearset; by the crenellations on the windshield locking device; by the height of the radiator; by the wheels and the sweep of the body into the trunk. If those are carbide lamps, its most likely to be 1914, though it could be 1915. These are wonderful cars, with a two-speed in-line transmission and a 4-cyl Continental engine that will take the little car to 40 mph. They had a distinguished history for economy. The Saxon President was known as the "other Mr. Ford" in Detroit. In 1916, I believe, the car was the eighth largest car producer in America. I'll try to post a photo of my 1914 this week.

• 1 month later...
Guest 1915Saxon

I believe this is a 1915 Model14.....albeit an early 15....it has the rounded door bottoms and the rounded trunk area. 1914 models......lacked running boards....the door bottoms were straight, and the rear trunk was more angular.

• 3 weeks later...

I restored a 17 Saxon B5R in the 1970s. The car in the photo is an earlier Saxon, but a bit difficult to date Saxon, unlike other makers, continued to use gas lights, and offered electric starter and lighting as optional equipment. THe 15 and 16 ALAM books both show the Saxon fours with gas lights.

Bob McAnlis