Rear Axle Outer Nut Lock Washers

Guest soldier

Guest soldier

I need two rear axle outer nut lock washers for my 1931 Buick series 50(late with closed drive shaft ). I think they should have an inner tab for the keyway slot, and be made to bend over on the flats of the nuts. They were not there on my car. One drum/hub was already working loose. Good way to lose a wheel. Any help, or leads would be appreciated. Thanks, Soldier.

I never was able to find any for my 32 Buick. I hand made a pair for my use. I have watched for somea Hershey, but never found any the correct size. Modern standard washers are not the correct size either. I used a piece of sheet metal and a lot of time on the bandsaw cutting out the shape.

Bob

Hi,

This sounds like the same item I have looked for for my LaSalle. The washer is oblong and is notched at the two ends to go either side of ridges cast into the hub. For installation, one end is bent inwards with the slot at the end spanning the ridge on the hub to prevent the washer from rotating. The other end gets driven down on to the nut to keep it from backing off. This makes a mechanical barrier to the nut backing off.

I have never seen one available for sale, anywhere. Has anyone checked Bob's to see if he offers them? Shouldn't be too hard to make a few, though. Producing more than a handful would require a punch and die for the blank.

GM mechanics likely tossed used ones away and replaced them with new ones like we might go through simple steel lock washers. However, a standard lock washer will not work safely and reliably on the axle nut. As Soldier said above, good way to lose a wheel.

Why GM didn't stay with the tried-and-true tabbed washer, cotter pin, and castle nut is likely best answered by the Ghosts still haunting the cost-cutting department. They may have saved 3 cents this way...

--Tom

Guest soldier

JB, My 1931 series 50 has a 1" dia. shaft. Sounds like what you mentioned is for a large series and may be like Mark shows in his picture. Would you happen to have one in that box for a 1" shaft? Thanks, Soldier/Jerry Saunders

When I looked at the metric washers for my 32 Buick, I found that when I got one to fit the shaft, the inner key lock was short and not a good fit to the keyway. Also the outer diameter was not large enough to give a good fold up along the flat of the nut. Remember that these nuts were much larger on the outer surfaces than a modern nut of the same thread size.

Bob

• 6 years later...