Who sent me this??

keiser31

Someone sent me this and I cannot remember who. I just wanted whoever sent it to know that their brake shoes are on backwards. The smaller lining should be the "primary" shoe on the front of the backing plate. Sorry I cannot remember who this is from....some 1930 or 1931 Dodge Brothers guy.

post-37352-143138122849_thumb.jpg

I always thought that the old-type of brakes with the shoes anchored to the backing plate had no primary and secondary shoes. Aren't they are usually the same size?

Not according to my 1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 instruction book.

post-37352-143138122875_thumb.jpg

Sometimes I amaze myself with my own stupidity. The Instruction Book for my Plymouth is sitting right in front of me on my desk, and it has the exact same illustration in it. I learn something new every day. :)

If you are my age, brain farts are very common events.

Taking all the emotion out...... The leading shoe is the one where the frictional force tends to push it onto the drum where the trailing shoe is lifted off the drum by the frictional force. The leading shoe does more work and has a bigger surface area.

These shoes are correct for a wheel which is turning anti-clockwise as you look at the picture.

wow this got me thinking so i got out some of the old manuals i have access to , the earliest i have for dodge is for a 1929 DA it say,s the primarary shoe is the rear shoe . the other manuals cover from 1935 through to 1954 , Dodge , Chrysler, DeSoto and Plymouth were all the same the rear shoe was the primarary shoe ,although the lengh of the shoe varied between makes and models, what chrysler used before 1935 i have no idea , but from 1935 they used the lockheed systym , other makes like Bendix which i think GM used the primarary shoe wasthe other way around

The reason I started this thread is because I was looking at the brakes in question and then at a book for my Dodge truck. Without looking at the '31 Dodge manual closer, I assumed (I KNOW) that they should be as the more modern brakes are. My mistake and so sorry if I misled anyone.

post-37352-143138122907_thumb.jpg

Guest Xprefix28truck

So ..... which way is right? If the manual doesn't specify the picture in the manual as Left of Right, it would be hard to tell....

So ..... which way is right? If the manual doesn't specify the picture in the manual as Left of Right, it would be hard to tell....

I just went out and looked at an extra 1931 Chrysler CM6 rear end (basically the same as the DH6) that has the factory brake setup on it. The longer lined shoe is toward the front of the car as in the manual. As I said previously, I am sorry that I was confused and REALLY sorry now that I did not research more before posting.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The manual DOES say #9 is the front half and #17 is the rear half...so that would be the left front in the diagram. I missed it.

Keiser ,a mistake at best,dont worry about it.No need for anyone to chime in like he did.He just registered this october,lets let him tell us what he knows ,without being an a_______________

He has made some rather rude comments on a few other post as well.

Dale

Guest Xprefix28truck
I just went out and looked at an extra 1931 Chrysler CM6 rear end (basically the same as the DH6) that has the factory brake setup on it. The longer lined shoe is toward the front of the car as in the manual. As I said previously, I am sorry that I was confused and REALLY sorry now that I did not research more before posting.

Don't worry about it John... If I were doing it I would put the long in the rear. I know a couple of later models were this way...{if I am remembering right} I do know that some later ones I did recently were of the same length..

Mistakes, not me! Never.....:rolleyes: Well maybe a few....:P Well, alright then, when it comes to women, I've made plenty..;)... And a few on cars that I have corrected. Like leaving out a pilot bearing in a 1922 Page once. We were wondering why that tranny went in so easy until I spotted the li'l culprit on the floor board just under the seat. :o Now I'm an experianced expert on 1922 Page transmission installation. LOL at me self :D Dandy Dave!