1940 lincoln convertible

Guest kram

TOM, THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT I ATTACHED SOME PICTURES OF THIS VEHICLE ON THIS POST, SOME OF WHEN I PULLED FROM BARN AND SOME CURRENT AT MY SHOP. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE HAS SOME FURTHER TID BITS.

THANKS

MARK

post-61063-143138122102_thumb.jpg

post-61063-143138122107_thumb.jpg

post-61063-14313812211_thumb.jpg

post-61063-143138122114_thumb.jpg

post-61063-143138122119_thumb.jpg

post-61063-143138122123_thumb.jpg

post-61063-143138122127_thumb.jpg

post-61063-14313812213_thumb.jpg

post-61063-143138122134_thumb.jpg

Edited by kram (see edit history)

You need to contact Dave Cole... He "has no computor" but hi son has email rilico @ something or other.....

he will know the entire history of your car and will be thrilled to hear from u..like the return of the prodigal son..it has early lcoc badge on grill...means early club member....he has historys for all prewar connies..or you can send a letter to him snail mail...Im sure Phil can give you info..

THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS ON THE LINCOLN WE HAVE SOMEWHAT TRACED VEHICLE BACK TO THE MCORMICK FAMILY AS FIRST OWNERS, THEN WAS TRADED IN TOO GRANT DEAN BUICK. THE GENTLEMAN I PURCHASED FROM HAS OWNED SINCE 1961 AND MOVED FROM BARN TO BARN. VIN # H107111. ANY MORE INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Edited by kram (see edit history)

TOM FROM A DISTANCE THE LOOKS VERY NICE BUT UP CLOSE THE PAINT LOOKS CRACKED UP AND PEELING IN SPOTS. PLUS THE SEATS AS YOU CAN SEE ARE COMING APART. I WOULDN'T FEEL COMFORTIBLE AT A LINCOLN CAR SHOW THE WAY IT IS NOW. I WILL TELL YOU I AM SOMEWHAT ANAL ABOUT THINGS AND REALLY WOULD LIKE THE CAR TO LOOK BETTER. DO YOU BELIEVE AT A LINCOLN SHOW THE CAR WOULD GET FROWND ON FOR THE WAY IT LOOKS.

TOM FROM A DISTANCE THE LOOKS VERY NICE BUT UP CLOSE THE PAINT LOOKS CRACKED UP AND PEELING IN SPOTS. PLUS THE SEATS AS YOU CAN SEE ARE COMING APART. I WOULDN'T FEEL COMFORTIBLE AT A LINCOLN CAR SHOW THE WAY IT IS NOW. I WILL TELL YOU I AM SOMEWHAT ANAL ABOUT THINGS AND REALLY WOULD LIKE THE CAR TO LOOK BETTER. DO YOU BELIEVE AT A LINCOLN SHOW THE CAR WOULD GET FROWND ON FOR THE WAY IT LOOKS.

I don't think anyone would frown around your car. Sometimes, the originality of a car like yours is better to display than a restored example.

Mark,

I doubt it would be looked down on at all. There is a big movement lately for cars to be shown unrestored. Even though yours has been repainted, the interior is for sure original, the top looks very nice also. Unless someone that knows Lincolns does the top, it usually gets installed wrong with welting across the back rib, yours looks perfect.

The paint, though needing attention, is a matter of taste I suppose. I am also very anal about my cars, but I would have loved to have been able to drive mine when I first bought it.

If you want to restore the paint and interior, just be sure and do an original color. If your car was mine, I would probably want it in the original color as it left the factory. The 40s are worth a lot, so you want to do it right. Same with the interior, leather as original in the right color. You really will need to locate someone that knows what they are doing with the interior. The patterns in the door panels need to be correct size and properly spaced. The stitching in the seats and various other places needs to be correct.

Between paint and interior you are probably looking at close to $25,000 or so, maybe even a bit more, hard to say in this age of EPA and paint, let alone labor costs. I do know that even though I had finished all of the rough body work on my car, it took 16 solid weeks of effort by a guy I hired that was layed off to get it ready to paint. Most all of that time was spent blocking the car out a total of four times before he was satisfyed it was flat.

Naturally if you got the paint done along with the interior, you would probably want to have the chrome done. In this matter you have to be brave, very brave. I priced having the grills on my 41 done, along with two headlight rings and two turn signal housings on the front fenders. None of these parts appeared pitted and none had been rechromed before, they were just old and dull. Now the place I got the estimate is known to be expensive, but also known to be very good. $3500.00 for these parts alone. Throw a couple of bumpers in there along with the interior and top pieces and the cost will get up there in a hurry.

So, before I rushed into spending a ton, I would at least have the pleasure of driving the car around and showing it just as it is. It sure looks nice to me.

Tom

Guest palosfv3

Mark

I agree with Tom. Drive it and get to know the car a little better before getting too deep into things. Its nice to see cars like yours . They show what it was really like.

I believe restorations costs may get well above some of the dollars mentioned above.

Properly done upholstery on a car like should land in the $17K to $24K range for seats and carpets. the price will vary on the choices of quality of materials and condition of some original components.

Paint and body work also can have a broad range of expense. Your car looks to be in better structural shape than many others and this is a great plus . Depending on what you want for a finished car and how much you want to do on your own. I would figure $17.5K on the low to Mid $40K on the upper end.

If you paint it plan on rechroming everything. Unless the chrome is in exceptional shape , the new paint will highlight the weaknesses of the brightwork. There are many platers out there but only a few that I would consider using. Show quality chrome and polishing the stainless could easily eat up $15k and could easily double if the parts are in poor shape.

I'm assuming the mechanicals are decent from you previous comments.

I would suggest determing what you want the desired finished car to be. Set a budget for the money you want to spend, figure out how dirty you want to get and when you would like to be finished. Dont forget to add at least 25 % to 30 % for the unexpected.

Best regards

TOM AS LONG AS I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION I HAVE A QUESTION ON ONE KNOB UNDER DASH AND NOT SURE WHAT IT CONTROLS. IT IS LOCATED JUST UNDER DASH LOOK LIKE MAY HAVE SOMTHING TO DO WITH RADIO. IT HAS A CENTER POSITION, RIGHT, AND LEFT SAME COLOR AS DOOR HANDLES AND WINDOW CRANKS.

I WANTED TO POST SOME OF THESE PICTURES ON THE LCOC WEBSITE AS WELL I JOINED BOTH. COULD SOMEONE HELP WITH POSTING THESE IT KEPT GIVING ME AN ERROR CODE FILE TO BIG NOT SURE HOW TO DO IT DIFFERENT ALL HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS AGAIN

MARK

Dave Cole has been tracking every 1940 Continental that he can find ever since I have known him, and that's over 45 years! He would be delighted to hear from you and can probably give you a lot of history of your car. Dave WILL respond to you via "snail-mail".

If you haven't already joined the Lincoln Zephyr Owner's Club, may I recommend that you do so. There's an on-line applicaton at www.lzoc.org.

You'll find your LCOC membership to be a lot less rewarding than the LZOC membership. The LCOC has embraced ALL Lincolns and there are a LOT more late model Lincolns out there than there are early ones!

Thanks for posting your photos. That's a great looking car, even with the few "blemishes"!

Edited by Phil Knapp
typo (see edit history)

PHIL THANKS FOR THE INFO I HAVE JOINED BOTH LZOC, AND LCOC. THERE IS A GENTLEMAN NAMED ART IN THE LCOC THAT I PROMISED WOULD DOWN LOAD THOSE SAME PICTURES ON LCOC BUT HAVE BEEN UNABLE FOR SOME REASON. P.S. WOULD SEEM YOU HAVE SOME VERY NICE VEHICLES AS WELL.

THANKS SO MUCH

MARK

Thank you for all your posts I put the lincoln away for the winter so for now all is on hold. I would like to just cover the seats for now so we can drive the car without further damage. Is there anyone who makes some type of seat covers for these cars.

Thanks so much

Mark

Regarding your interior- contact Kepich Exhaust. They are an advertiser on the LZOC directory. I have had Gretchen produce my interior from that firm.

It's fantastic work and the cost is 1/3 of the lesser cost indicated to you.

Glenn Lorei b6vt