When it began, and why?

Guest Xprefix28truck

Guest Xprefix28truck

Who can tell me why the 55 Chevies are known as shoe-boxes? I have heard this for years, and even call them that myself. But for the life of me I don't know why....

Guest Xprefix28truck

LOL... I guess what it all boils down to.. is that Shoe-Boxes don't have a top part (as in the widows and top). I know if you look at a 55 they are pretty squre cornered. Big flat hoods and trunks. But I just don't see a box of any kind when I look at them. Now a new Scion XB, now that looks like a box!!!

Guest Xprefix28truck
49 to 51 Fords were referred to as a "Shoebox". I never heard this term applied to a Chevrolet.

???? I didn't know it ever applied to Fords.......:eek:

49 to 51 Fords were referred to as a "Shoebox". I never heard this term applied to a Chevrolet.

I've heard the term used routinely for both '49-'51 Fords and '55-'57 Chevys since at least the mid-1970s. I think the Fords were the first to be referred to that way. Both are approximately the proportions of a typical Thom McCann box, while most other cars (even of that era) are typically too long, flat, or tall.

I've always felt the '52-'57 Nashs deserved the term even more, but somehow they've escaped that term.

.............I've always felt the '52-'57 Nashs deserved the term even more, but somehow they've escaped that term.

Probably didn't sell enough of those, Dave. :P

Oh, for the days of that kind of competition again. Buying cars now is so much like buying house appliances. :(

Wayne

The term was applied to the '49 Fords when they came on the market because other cars had rear fenders that bulged out and the sides of the Fords were flat like a box. So when Chevy flattened their fenders in '55 they decided to steal the name.

I guess the name "stovebolt" was not good enough for Chebbys.

Guest DeSoto Frank

I think I first heard the term "shoebox Ford" around 1980, and it was being applied to the '49-'51 Ford; my Dad said it was probably due to the lack of fender "bulges" down the side.

Other period vechicles that would have fit that definition would have been the '47-'50 Kaisers & Frazers.

I never heard "shoebox" applied to the '55-'57 Chevy until about two years ago, maybe while watching the Barrett-Jackson auctions, with their vapid commentary ?

As for "Toaster", I've recently heard that term applied to the first-generation Nash-Rambler ? (Not sure why...)

I think the Scion X-box looks more like a chest-type Deep-Freeze.

Edited by DeSoto Frank (see edit history)

They used a round head screw with a slot in it,flat blade screwdriver type.The name came from early stoves, heating and wood cook stoves that were put together with them.

My 31 chevrolet has a lot of them,holds the fenders on ,side pan on the engine and a lot of other places.

Guest DeSoto Frank
But wasn't the stovebolt name basically for the screws that held the valve covers on?

Yes, but on the side of the engine; the rocker-box cover was held down by two acorn nuts on top (through 1953).

The "stove bolts" are now known as "truss-head machine screws"; they have a broader, flatter head than round-head machine screws. I believe Chevrolet used 1/4 x 20 stove bolts.

The '54-'62 Chevy six used pan-head machine screws to secure the valve cover and tappet side cover.