65 Riviera brake issues & fuel sneding unit

Desmc14

The brake pedal is getting very close to the floor.... no leakage... brake booster was replaced 2 years ago ....is it the Master Cylinder? Or something else.

If yes to MC, where is a good place to buy another?

Also, fuel gage doesn't work - had tank resealed 2 years ago... sending unit wrk briefly but I suspect it doesn't now. Where is best place to source one?

Thanks!

Bob-

I would check first the automatic adjusters inside the drums. With time and lack of driving these will sometimes freeze up and the brake shoes stop getting adjusted back out to compensate for wear. So your pedal slowly goes further down to get the same contact point inside the drum.

If it is the sending unit, you'll have to try to source a good used one. Watch out for some of the vendors on ebay. The 63/64 unit operates on 45 ohms of resistance; the '65 unit on 90 ohms. I know of one particular ebay vendor who sells units for 63-65 and claims they're all the same.

If the sending unit doesn't get a chance to operate its full range ocassionally, it will get lacquer deposits on it that will cause it to "freeze up." Perhaps all it needs it to be removed and cleaned. Also, check to make sure that the wire is grounding out against the frame/body. Does your guage read F or E?

Did the pedal go to the floor when you replaced the booster? There were two different boosters installed on these cars. It could either have been a Delco Morraine (sp?) or a Bendix. You can't mix these master cylinders and boosters. Low pedal is a sign of one master cylinder with the other booster.

Ed

Edited by RivNut
clarification (see edit history)

Jim, Ed thanks for your help.

Booster was repaced 2 years ago. I will check to see what brand it is. The MC is original from 1965 so I assume it is a delco. The brake pedal was good when first installed.... I noticed it beginning to gradually get closer to the floor in the past 2 months. It there now. I have to use the parking brake for a full stop......

:confused:

• 3 months later...
Guest CyberGolem

I have a '63 Riv and needed to replace my sending unit so I bought one from someone who supposedly had a reputable reputation. Wish it were true...

When I put it in, the fuel gauge spiked so I sent it back. When I got it back from him the casing around the rheostat was busted so I had to return it again. I gave it a try anyway (just to see if it worked), but the fuel gauge wouldn't go below 3/4 of a tank. In any case it's been well over a year and I still can't drive my car and the guy I purchased it from is now avoiding me so I think I just lost $200.

Anyway, would someone point me toward a replacement for my sending unit?

And does anyone know if GM used this unit on other cars?

Last question, does Original Parts Group intend to actually release the new Riviera catalog? It's been a long time since they promised to get it out so I'm starting to lose faith.

Thanks,

-CG

CG,

I sincerely hope you did not do any business with Randy Rymal? The ROA has a very long list of people who have done business with him that had the same bad results as you. If you are a ROA member, our director Ray Knott can give you the details.

To the best of my knowledge, no one is reproducing sending units for the 1st gen Riv. One very reputable place is Bob's Speedometer.

www.bobsspeedometer.com

You ask a very good question about Original Parts Group, it's now going on two years since they announced the catalog. You can go to their web site and select Riviera and shop online.

Robert Bonto # 277 ROA :)

Technical Advisor 71-73

Hi Bob,

Have you been adding any fluid to the brake master to maintain a consistently full level?? If so, the source of your leak is most probably the reason for your low pedal (although you may have more than one issue). Sometimes, the seals in the master cyl will leak toward the rear of the m/c and into the brake booster where the fluid is visually undetectable.

If you have not been adding any fluid be sure your brake adjustment is proper at ALL 4 wheels, as Jim has suggested sometimes the adjusters freeze. When this happens the stroke of the pedal needs to compensate for the increased clearance between the drum and brake shoes.

Also, it is possible the master cylinder is "bypassing". This will generally present itself in a pedal which slowly falls to the floor with LIGHT PRESSURE. Full pressure will generally seat the seals in the m/c but light pressure will allow them to bypass.

Depending on an emergency brake to stop a tank like your `65 is asking for big trouble. Dont drive the car again until you have the problem fixed or pay someone to do it for you. You`ll be money ahead in the long run and you and your Riviera will still be in one piece!

Good luck!

Tom Mooney

:) Hi Bob,

The '65 Riv sending unit is different than the '63-64, The Buick part # is 6426301 with air cond. and 6426302 without air cond. , and does'nt show up on any other GM make.

:) kaycee

• 1 month later...

Thanks all..in October I bought the sending unit from Rancho Riviera and brake Master cylinder from local parts outlet and both are working great...(funny, after taking the old sending unit out, I could have been repaired easily - oh well... it lasted 44 years... made those repairs to the 65 Riv and stored it for winter! I haven't been on line in quite a while.... looking forward to spring....burning some rubber!

Bob-

Make the repair and "recycle" the old sending unit. Some other Riv owner will appreciate your efforts. As others have mentioned, it is different from '63 (I know for sure) and I think also the '64 sending unit. So fix it and sell it to someone with a '65.

Even at only 2 years old, the booster still could be bad. Sounds exactly like mine was with the low HARD pedal. Very low and extremly hard to push with maybe a 1/2" of travel. My booster was only about 9 months old, but it was bad again. I actually went through three boosters in about a year and a half. Finally got a different booster rebuilt and all seems well now. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I returned the old sending unit to Larry @ Rancho Riviera for a core refund .. good people to deal with ...

As for the brake booster ... so far so good...the new MC works well... the Riv sat all winter in the garage and brakes are good pedal is high just like from factory...