Headlight reflector re-silvering

Durant Mike

Anybody know of a company that will re-silver my headlight reflectors for my 1928 Durant? I understand that maybe some of you Model T/A guys might know of some companies. Any on the East Coast? I understand that the way to go is to re-silver instead of chrome them as the silver is more reflective. With the low wattage bulbs that will be in there, I need all the reflection I can get. Any help would be appreciated.

If you don't mind shipping your reflectors, I'd recommend Uvira in Oregon:

Uvira, Inc.

310 Pleasant Valley Rd.

Merlin, OR 97532

Telephone: +1.541.956.6880

Fax: +1.541.476.9096

email: uvira@terragon.com

They put a glass coated aluminum surface on that is almost as good as silver and will not tarnish with age. There are a number of things you can do to help get some light to the road. If you want to read what I have done then click on:

How good can those antique car headlights be?

The Uvira system is highly recommended, though I believe they now require you to do some preparation on the reflector before shipping it.

You are correct, chrome plating is not the way to go!

However, I had the reflectors on my Terraplane re-silvered (the old fashioned way) in 1998 and they are still shiny (a good gasket, and an occasional polishing every couple years, doesn't hurt!) I sent them to a fellow by the name of Craig Riker, who runs an insurance agency and does reflector re-silvering on the side. Toledo, Ohio | Insurance Agency | CRAIG A RIKER | OH Office | Nationwide.com At the time, the price was extremely reasonable. I do not know if he still does this.

As you may know, you can now purcase 6-volt halogen lamps, with bases that fit many of the antique cars without any modifications. They're made in Australia but handled in this country by The Little British Car Company MG Parts | TR Parts | Triumph Parts | Austin Healey Parts | Jag Parts | Jag Bits | Sprite Parts | Midget Parts | Spitfire Parts | Bugeye Parts | Frog Eye Parts | Jaguar Parts | Sunbeam Parts | Classic Car Parts | Pertronix | Gunson | Moto-Lita | LBCa . The only problem may be whether your generator can handle the increased wattage (but they are available in a couple different wattages I think).

Also, running a ground wire to your sockets, and sneaking a headlight relay behind your dashboard, will help to increase the brightness of your lights, if they've faded over the years.

Guest martylum

Hi--- I used Uvira years ago with good results. Last I checked Bill at Uvira wanted you to have a chrome plating shop copper plate the brass reflectors before sending and do any repairs.

I've recently used a 1 stop vendor who resilvers with real silver which is much more reflective than chrome:

Steves Antique Restoration 503-665-2222

Martin Lum

The direct replacement halogen bulbs use about the same amount of current as the originals. The give a substantially better bright white light using the existing electrical system. My brother has many years on his Model A and they make running 60 MPH at night possible.

His car is pretty close to how Henry built it.

Thanks all! I have decided to have it re-silvered as original by a company down here in Florida. Someone sent me their name and address and I called them the other day and they said they can handle it and have done them before. I have not decided yet about the halogen bulbs as I want to keep this car as original as possible and it will be entered for judging in the future in our AACA events. So if the halogen bulb can be seen then I think it's a no go for that. I don't want want to have anything but the original type wire on the car and generator etc. I have seen some replacement bulbs that fit the same type sockets and probably would not be visible through my headlight lenses. Just have to see what type of current they draw I guess.

So I assume you haven't actually read all of the page I posted a link to... :)

With my headlight lens installed you can't tell that I've plugged in 25 watt 6v quartz-halogen bulbs which draw the same current as #1000 bulbs which seem to be the commonly used readily available headlight bulbs most people use. I did it so that my headlight switch, wiring and generator would not need to be changed from stock. About 40% more light for the same power.