running warm

rock bottom

Have read a few previous posts on running warm. "88" Reatta with 160,000 miles runs warm (to me at least). Last Sunday drove in NC Iowa with temps around 80 degrees and car ran about 197 to 205 degrees, drove on a gravel road slower for a couple of miles and it was running about 213 degrees. Flushed and changed antifreeze in 2008 before going to Flint. Any suggestions?

Thanks Doug

With a 195 degree thermostat that is just about right. Many posts are out there about lowering the heat by reprogramming the eprom or installing an aftermarket switch to turn the fans on sooner.

The general feeling is that these cars are made to run hot.

What I recomend and have done if you opt not to do the above, is to install an aftermarket trans cooler. These transmissions are NOT made to run this hot...

Heat is a tranny's worst enemy...

Guest F14CRAZY

Your car is running as it was designed to be, but as mentioned you can change the thermostat and reprogram the fans. When I switched to a 180 degree stat, reprogram, flushed and added Water Wetter I don't think I read over 190f

Your car will go into lock-up at approximately 145 degrees. The problem I forsee is in the winter months when it gets so cold that your car does not achieve the lock-up temp. Your fuel economy will be affected not being able to shift into overdrive.

Guest dandave

my 91 51000 miles runs hot with ac running in slow traffic does same with ac off gauge get to2:00 or higher high way no problem new thermostat still same had radiator flush my 91 31000 same thing

OK on a 95F day with the a/c on and at a long traffic light I will sometimes see it creep up to 189, the fans turn on high, and it comes back down to 185F (where the high fan turns off). At speed it drops back to 181-183 on a hot day. On a cool day it runs 179-181. I consider running no more than 90F over ambient to be OK.

For those with 90-91 the actual engine temp is ED04 but is in C.

For my '90, straight up seems to be anything from 180 to 200F so need to look at the actual.

my 91 51000 miles runs hot with ac running in slow traffic does same with ac off gauge get to2:00 or higher high way no problem new thermostat still same had radiator flush my 91 31000 same thing

The 91 sight gauge doesnt tell you much, mine runs dead center when up to operating temp.

Can the 91 ECC do a temp readout like the later year model Buicks?