Let the Modding begin!! :D

Guest SheldonZ28

Guest SheldonZ28

Hey Everyone,

Im well aware im going to upset some diehard's here, but (no offence) thats what this is all about! :D

So bit of history here, Dave (Hndblt88) and i went out for some cruising over the weekend, and i finally managed to get the modification bug to bite him. You get the rest:p

Anyways, for a start, dave wanted it a bit louder, and to look more agressive.

1st thing i felt needed to be changed was the grandma's grocery getter stance on the car. Personal opinion, i think its aweful. almost 2" gap to the fender edges, narrow wheels etc etc. Being the fact im a f-body guy with my t/a slammed and 275's on the back. Im trying to influence daves car.

Quick solution to that, is wheel spaces. I opted for 1.25" spaces for daves car, its not extreme, it will affect the suspension in an extreme minimum, if any at all, its safe etc etc. To anyone who feels otherwise, ive got lots of experience with these, i know what im doing here.

The spaces adversly changed the look, the wheels sit wider, almost flush with the fender edges, dave felt a positive difference in handling.

Ill have dave chime in with some pictures of it.

Next issue, its quiet.

The fix, Magnaflow! :D Ordered up a magnaflow 11255 muffler, it was a direct fit replacement, it's not obnoxious sounding, but it gives the car some more bark, and the stainless looks far nicer then the big hunk of steel hangin under the back!

Thats our progress for tonight,

my next plans with it are to address the quality of the exhaust note.

For anyone here who has investigated into exhaust, when the exhaust pulses meet at odd timing due to tubing lengths, this not only hinders a vacuum effect the exhaust can create, it also develops a bad exhaust note.

Take the time to listen to a FWD V6 car, and then go listen to a RWD V6 car (Probably a Grand Prix vs. V6 Camaro being the best example) Its a vastly different note.

My cure to this, is developing a Y pipe, that has equal length to it. Im going to determine where i can snake pipes to make them equal length, this should make the biggest improvement. Im likely going to put in a Metallic Substrate cat, higher flowing, and easier to tuck as its a bullet design.

Anyways, Dave & I will keep this thread updated with photo's and progress on the car.

Ill see how much further i get past this, as dave is picky with his car for modifications! :P

We're currently searching for a reatta that i can cut the underside out of, and fabricate a V8/RWD chassis for. Make it look stock, and drag the rear bumpers for 100ft of the track. More on that when we find a car/money :D

Guest julioj

Why not try a transverse muffler,and have dual tail pipes? I have a deep tone on my 90 coupe and have had many good remarks about the sound. Earler camero flowmaster I aquired from Summit racing. Did the job in about 2 hours back in summer of 08. Haven't had a problem yet!

Lowering? Loud Exhaust?

Are you sure you wanted to post in the Reatta forum? :P:p:p

What about the:
Make it look stock, and drag the rear bumpers for 100ft of the track.
The only way I see that happening is for a tow truck operator to raise the front end of the Reatta too high while towing it down the track. :eek::eek: :D

Guest SheldonZ28
Lowering? Loud Exhaust?

Are you sure you wanted to post in the Reatta forum? :P:p:p

Oh man, ive never been more sure :D

Guest SheldonZ28
What about the: The only way I see that happening is for a tow truck operator to raise the front end of the Reatta too high while towing it down the track. :eek::eek: :D

You missed the first part.

Going to convert it to a RWD chassis. Build up a nice V8, launch! :D

Guest Richard D
You missed the first part.

Going to convert it to a RWD chassis. Build up a nice V8, launch! :D

If you are going to try to turn it into a RWD chassis you might be better off putting electric motor drive in the back and have the engine drive a 400 amp aircraft generator. Talk about torque!

Guest SheldonZ28
well ok if it's going to be a V8 it should at least be a Buick 455

I can agree with the 455, but not buick.

Im a hardcore LS Series guy. I could do a LSX Block 455 if it would make the buick guys a little happier.

Buick 455 is physically larger then i want to deal with. Not to mention ive made over 1200hp @ the wheels with LSx's, and had them drive to and from the track blasting the A/C while running a few high 8's inbetween. I <3 LSx's.

Here are the pictures of the car, will get better ones later with the car lowered. Wheel spacers make a huge difference on the car. As for the sound, the Magnaflow muffler is quite nice and a lot raspier and louder, however, its not loud enough. As for the car, I have already getting positive feedback on it within the first 24 hours.

SSPX0652.jpg

SSPX0654.jpg

Guest SheldonZ28
Why put a big heavy 455 into a Reatta plus the trans, your adding a lot of weight to an already heavy car?:confused:

Part of the weight in the reatta would be eliminated in a RWD conversion.

All of the fancy doo hickey's all over, 16 way seats etc would all be thrown in the dumpster in favour of a much more diet aimed interior. Things like some Sparco racing seats, delete all the un needed electronics behind the dash etc will seriously shed a ton of weight. Along with the fact that the chassis will be entirely different from stock, i can see alot of places in car where i can shed weight to make it more functional, less fluff.

Im a guy who see's "All show & No go" being as useless as a knife in a gun fight.

Im want to make it show with this car.

Its going to be a team effort between me and dave, he's going to take care of the aesthetics of the car, and ill take car of the chassis/driveline.

As for the motor, a LS1/T56 combo weighs less then 700lbs. The LS1 block weighs a whopping 98lbs. The LS1 motor weighs less then the 3800's, even the iron block (GMPP LSX Block is inron) motor's would still weight even/less. Things like Aluminum heads, Nylon intakes, aluminum pan's, aluminum motor covers etc all contribute to a low weight motor.

Anyways, enough ranting. Dave and i have our eye on a '88 that we might be able to score for $300CAD to use as our victim. I sorta want a chassis sitting infront of me before i decide which cars i want to pick from, but right now, the 93-02 F-body Front K-member is seeming ideal, due to its Rack & Pinion steering contained into the K, the SLA suspension makes it easy to fabricate a strut tower, and its a 6 bolt system to mount it up. Not to mention CTS-V Brembo or 98-02 PBR Brakes will bolt right onto it for a choise between baby 12" rotors or some macho 14" Rotors.

For the rear suspension, im currently thinking 82-92 F-body rear suspension. due to the fact it only requires 3 mounting points, Lower control arms & Panhard, then 2 spring mounts. Only hard part past that will be developing a torque arm system. However i have noted that the reatta's wheelbase is only 3" shorter then a camaro.

Anyways, thats my "brainstorming" for now. Ill see how much of it i can make come to be. Ive got a couple of extra 3rd gens avaliable to me, and teh front suspension out of my '97 sitting in my shop, so it might be a good place to start.

Guest F14CRAZY

I personally would suggest a turbo Buick V6 but since a V8 was brought up I voted on the Buick 455...a Buick needs a proper Buick engine.

Then again I've got a G6 transmission, Mustang wheels, Aurora brakes, some like TH350 rear mount used as an engine mount...gotta love the GM, and Ford, parts bin.

Guest SheldonZ28
I personally would suggest a turbo Buick V6 but since a V8 was brought up I voted on the Buick 455...a Buick needs a proper Buick engine.

Then again I've got a G6 transmission, Mustang wheels, Aurora brakes, some like TH350 rear mount used as an engine mount...gotta love the GM, and Ford, parts bin.

V6 could be an option.

Ive been planning to work with something i know how to build. I dont have any V6 experience past a few bolt ons. Im not 100% on what parts work, and what doesnt etc. That being said, drivetrain will be the last part, as id like to build the chassis first.

Actually, a friend and I are working on a GN turbo V6 in a Reatta coupe with a late model Corvette Trans/rear end. It's looks very promsing. We have stripped the inside and installed a Buick dash and some custom seats. Console was left in for the corvette shifter and linkage. The gas tank has been removed (It is in the way of the Corvette read-end.) A fuel cell will be mounted in the trunk. We are going to weight it before and after the engine goes in. We will be putting the Olds brakes on front and rear. Fronts will be smaller than the Aurora brakes, as we will keep the stock wheels and try to keep the apperance as close to stock as possible.:):):cool:

Guest rsteere

Being new to Reattas I think it is great to modify one. Since I am going to end up with a shell as I put 1 of my '89s together I have been trying to figure out what to do with it. I have had and modified and not modified many older Buicks. The rear suspension on the Reatta has stumped me a little. Please keep up the post with pictures. I will be watching.

Randy

Silver/gray '89 (some kid gutted to make it go faster?)

Red/gray '89 (parts)

Guest spyhunter2k
Actually, a friend and I are working on a GN turbo V6 in a Reatta coupe with a late model Corvette Trans/rear end.

Well slap me silly and call me Ethel! That's what I'm talking about! You're recreating the RWD Reatta Turbo experimental car discussed in the July '89 Car and Driver:

"Reatta Rear-Wheel-Drive Turbo. This was probably the most tantalizing car of the day. Buick took a stock Reatta, gutted it, then stuffed in a 245-hp turbo-charged 3.8-liter V-6, a rear-drive chassis, and what amounts to a Corvette rear suspension. To sweeten the package, Buick swathed the exterior in front rear spoilers and body-side cladding.

So equipped, the Reatta is transformed. No longer just a pleasant run-about, it becomes a serious road machine. The power is wonderful, the package is tidy, and the handling is terrific. Unfortunately, the car received zero development time. Buick assembled it using off-the-shelf components, none of which were tuned to work in concert with each other. But this Reatta still shows big-time promise.

If Buick would take this basic package and add a sporting interior, an analog instrument panel, a properly calibrated suspension, and a new steering system, this Reatta could enter the supercar ranks in a heartbeat.

We think Buick should build this car. No traditional Buick buyer worthy of his Ben Hogans would buy one, of course. But would bring an entirely new breed of buyers into Buick showrooms: enthusiasts."

Please consider documenting your progress here, or posting a how-to on Ronnie's site.

• 2 weeks later...

Have run engines before with just a cat, have a turbo-diesel that has nothing out of the turbo, just a 2 1/2" pipe - sounds like a Chris-Craft. None as loud as the Judge with twin cherry bombs and a crossover.

That said, is the "averagjoe" a stock rear window ? It looks shorter.

Still say the way to go fast with rear drive is to get a Fiero.

Frankly, I have never seen a need for engines over 5 liters (though at one time almost all here were 400s & still have a 421) but do think the Buick 455 (1970 vintage "Stage X") was a better design than the LS (note: what was sold to the public as "LS" engines was not the same as the 430/465/494 4.44 bore aluminum engine. That was in a class by itself)

"All of the fancy doo hickey's all over, 16 way seats etc would all be thrown in the dumpster"

The way you take joy in saying that is what comes off as fishing to elicit reactions (I think you will be disappointed here, this crowd is too civil and mature to entertain those sorts) could you at least sell or give those parts to people who may need them? They are not making any more and it would be a shame.

Guest Richard D
"All of the fancy doo hickey's all over, 16 way seats etc would all be thrown in the dumpster"

The way you take joy in saying that is what comes off as fishing to elicit reactions (I think you will be disappointed here, this crowd is too civil and mature to entertain those sorts) could you at least sell or give those parts to people who may need them? They are not making any more and it would be a shame.

I agree, these worthless doo hickey's that are not made anymore may be just the item a person restoring his car badly needs, plus it would add some $$$ to your project.:)