Das Awkscht Fescht 2009 (aka Macungie)

charlier

Have not seen a thread here on the forums about this year's event so I thought I would start one.

So, who is going to this event? Are you planning on taking a car for the show on Saturday?

I plan to be there on Saturday with my car. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and the field will be in decent shape.

I have not been to this event before. I would guess that getting there Early might be a good idea if one is showing a car?

Since I only live 30 minutes away I'm usually a regular but the 55 Buick has been invited to Meadowbrook this year so that's where I'll be. Yes do get there early. On the field by 0800 is always a good plan. I think you'll like the show. Pretty laid back with a nice sized flea market. It's usually hot as Hell but maybe this year will be different. Let everyone know how you liked it...........Bob

Charlie,

Will be there without a car. Stop by the "AACA Family" tent & trailer. Will have folks from our National HQ staff, Library, and, Museum to answer questions, recruit new members, and, of utmost importance we will have a supply of Prowler tickets.

See you there,

Peter J.

I will be with Mary Achenbach and her 57 Chevy. I will make sure she stops to say Hi Peter.

Look forward to seeing you and Mary again.

Best,

Peter.

Guest Skyking

My son and I will be there with our Metropolitans again this year. The Mets always have a nice showing at this meet. This is one of the most organized shows I attend. The flea market is also one of my favorite. A pre-registration is a must!!...................

Looks like the weather forecast for Friday current indicates a strong possibility of rain (70% chance).

Was wondering how well the park where this event is held holds up when it rains during this event?

Does the field drain fairly well or turn into a mud pit?

Any thoughts from people who have shown their car at this event in the past after/during rain storms would be appreciated.

Guest Skyking

Charlie, the park is mostly grass and shaded areas. Last year we had a thunderstorm pass through on Saturday and an hour later you'd never thought it had rained. After all the cars were wiped down everything was back to normal. Saturday looks to be the best day, but who believes weather people? Hopefully, it will be another great show.............

Guest Skyking
Charlie,

Will be there without a car. Stop by the "AACA Family" tent & trailer. Will have folks from our National HQ staff, Library, and, Museum to answer questions, recruit new members, and, of utmost importance we will have a supply of Prowler tickets.

See you there,

Peter J.

Peter, where will your tent be set up? I guess this will be a better time than never to join the AACA. See you there..............

Guest Siegfried

Hi Chuckie, Probably will see you there. I'm bringing my '84 Rabbit (the uncivilized monster). I imagine you're bringing your '80 Rabbit? By the way, I hope you are.

On another note, is the Museum actually thinking about sending a 'Staff Member', or will it be "All Volunteers' as in the past? Can't wait to see.

See you Saturday, and by the way, I've been a semi-regular there for 30 plus years. It is a superb showing of cars. Actually better then Hershey because a lot of the cars are 'NOT' over restored. Most are really superb show/drivers. The flea market is super also, and the food and the food is to die for. Sure beats the dickens out of swap meet sausage,

Way back in 19xx I met a fellow selling subscriptions to a new magazine known as Collectible Auto Restorer 'AKA: CAR' at this event. I signed up. 25 years later they're still here, and still informative. I guess I'm a charter subscriber for whatever that is worth in todays world where loyalty is almost something to be ashamed of... Unless you're an old head like I'm getting to be .......

Peter, where will your tent be set up? I guess this will be a better time than never to join the AACA. See you there..............

Hi, Bob.

The AACA Trailer (Well lettered) and the Museum/Library/AACA tent will be between the "permanent Macungie buildings" and about the start point of the flea market.

That would be great to have you join. The tent or trailer will have applications. I will be there on Saturday and would look forward to meeting you. Not sure what days your Metropolitan group will be there.

Best,

Peter.

Or the easiest of directions is next to the bathrooms! I dropped the AACA trailer off this morning and will go back tomorrow to set up the awning for the girls. The rain that came through yesterday did leave certain areas muddy.

Chris Ritter and I will be manning the AACA trailer all day Sunday so any of you guys who have yelled at me on this forum can come by and do it directly! Really, just kidding but don't have the smiley faces to use. It would be a pleasure to talk to you and certainly signing a few new members up would be great. AACA guys you will be able to buy the 75th anniversary sign with no shipping charges. We also will have the Hershey Fall Meet T-shirts for sale as well.

Jim, go easy now buddy. The museum will have volunteers there, the Prowler will be there and of course we will have representation from our national board and the library.

The girls on our staff are taking bets on how badly Chris and I screw things up Sunday! So, hold off on your purchases until Sunday so we can claim the males are dominant!

Hope to see you soon in beautiful low-humidity (NOT!) Macungie!

Or the easiest of directions is next to the bathrooms! I dropped the AACA trailer off this morning and will go back tomorrow to set up the awning for the girls. The rain that came through yesterday did leave certain areas muddy.

<SNIP>

The girls on our staff are taking bets on how badly Chris and I screw things up Sunday! So, hold off on your purchases until Sunday so we can claim the males are dominant!

Steve, thanks for the directions to the AACA area at Macungie.

I cannot make it Sunday so I will tell the girls that my Saturday purchases should be credited to the salesperson (Steve) I dealt with. ;)

I wonder what their reaction would be if a bunch of people told them that on Saturday? :)

FYI, the current forecast seems to indicate that the humidity will be lower on Saturday than in recent days. Not sure about Sunday.

Keep in mind that weather forecasts lately for this area have not been very accurate at all.

Guest Siegfried

Steve, you won't be there Saturday? Well, OK. I guess I'll have to wait for Hershey to bug you. Only kidding...

Chris Ritter and I will be manning the AACA trailer all day Sunday so any of you guys who have yelled at me on this forum can come by and do it directly! Really, just kidding but don't have the smiley faces to use.

Well Steve you had a short sales day, the humidity was at 150%. We pulled out about 9:30 after they called the meet because of rain. Saturday was nice. We dried out after about 100 miles with the AC on Max plus heat to speed drying.

I had my 1911 EMF there on Saturday. Beautiful weather, great cars. Spent lots of time talking to friends (new & old).

Dash Awkscht Fescht has been a regular on our calendar for years. It's always hot, but there's always a shady spot to be found.

My 1921 Ford Model T was at the very first Fescht (I was't born yet) in 1963.

post-31116-143138097438_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, due to a family situation, I was unable to have my car on the field at Macungie.

I was able to spend some time checking out a few of the cars and vendors.

I did see a few Volkswagens including at least one forum member's car.

Hopefully, next year I will be able to experience more of Macungie for an entire day.

BTW Steve, did you get credit for the merchandise I purchased at the AACA trailer on Saturday?

I mentioned you name to the nice lady working in the trailer.

Guest Skyking

Saturday was a beautiful day on the show feild. I did get a chance to meet Peter Heizmann and join the AACA. His tent was 100 feet from the Metropolitans. Sunday our plans changed rapidly due to the rain. I never managed to get to the show field and we were headed home by noon time. At least we managed to get 1 day in. Always next year..................;)

Bob,

It certainly was a pleasure and great conversation with you. Always nice to put a face to a keyboard. I was very proud to sign you up with our great club.

Charlie,

Sorry to hear you had some family issues. Hope all is well now. Will see you around soon.

To anyone reading this stop by any "AACA Family Tent/Trailer/Booth" at meets, tours, etc. We have a lot of fun assisting, answering questions, and, simply great conversation with people that share the same interest...old vehicles.

Best regards,

Peter J.