Woodstock's big day out.

Shop Rat

We have regular plates on <span style="font-style: italic">Woodstock </span>so that we can drive it anytime we want to. So that means it has to be inspected every year. This year we took it out to the local FANCY Mercedes dealer to have that done.

We waited and waited and finally after about forty-five minutes we began to wonder if they all went to lunch. So Bill decided to go check on why it was taking so long. Turns out that my young friend Tyler, who cleans and details cars there, decided to give <span style="font-style: italic">Woodstock</span> a bath, cleaned the inside and put tire shine on. He had a big grin on his face when he handed Bill the keys.

Then to top it off, the dealer did the inspection for free, which normally costs about $13.00 now. The guy said that any car that old should be inspected for free.

post-36313-143138086459_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Then to top it off, the dealer did the inspection for free, which normally costs about $13.00 now. The guy said that any car that old should be inspected for free.</div></div>

Oh, you have to inspect older cars in US every year? Or does it depend on the State where you live?

In Finland we have to do that too, though it costs ~$70 /year. (+exhaust fume measurement cost) So it easily goes over $100 / car / year.

An Automobile with New York State Historical Plates is 10 dollars for an inspection sticker. The guys laugh every year when I bring the 1915 Buick and think that the inspection is a joke on such an early automobile. But all the gear heads in the shop stop what they are doing to get a look at the engine with the open over-head valves. And the Starter, Generator, Ignition All in one Delco unit.

Before I clear the door they holler "You Pass" grin.gif Dandy Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mika Jaakkola</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, you have to inspect older cars in US every year? Or does it depend on the State where you live?</div></div>

It depends on the state where someone lives.

Here in West Virginia if a vehicle has a regular plate it has to be inspected every year no matter how old it is. But the owner can drive it whenever they want to. If we had put an antique vehicle plate or year of manufacture plate on <span style="font-style: italic">Woodstock</span> it would not have to be inspected. But there are restrictions as to when it can be driven.

Sometimes the Oregon police are reasonable...I was pulled over in my Dodge A100 because of a cracked windshield (driver's side) and the guy was very nice. He asked me why, since I had a flat windshield, it was not replaced. I had to explain to him that I already HAVE the replacement windshield, just that the rubber seal is non-existent. That has since changed and I have the rubber (thanks ebay). Now I just have to do the replacement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Search!? Suspicious looking??? blush.gifeek.gifcool.gif

"OK, Mrs. Lindon, out of the car!

"Hands on the roof!"

"We've got reason to believe........." grin.gif

Wayne </div></div>

Can I call you for some bail money if I run out? grin.gif

Massachusetts has an annual inspection which costs twenty-nine dollars no matter the year. All cars must be inspected.

They used to have restrictions on when you could drive with antique or year of manufacture plates. The restrictions were impossible to enforce so they removed them. This has enabled shady characters to register any twenty-five year old car as an antique to get the insurance break and yet use it as a daily driver. The state's attitude is "It's no skin off my nose."

I suppose it's the insurance companies headache.