1928 Dodge Brothers Sedan Questions

sacemoi

A friend recently purchased a 1928 DB Sedan & is not a computer user & asked me if I would inquire about some information. He wishes to purchase parts for the car but has no information to go by. Would someone please answer a few questions about the vehicle if possible.

1. How many engines were offered in 1928, the one in the vehicle is a six cylinder, cast iron head. Would anyone know the size of the engine?

2. If only one engine was available what make/type (spec) spark plug is correct for the engine?

3. Where would he locate a carburetor rebuild kit?

Sacemoi

Hope you can read this and hope it helps, as far as I know there are no rebuild kits per-say but I am sure someone will correct me on that if I am wrong, I dont know this particular car very well.

post-48869-143138084163_thumb.jpg

Guest Backyardmechanic

We need the car number to advise on what model of 1928 you have. Also the engine may help too. There were 3 models Victory 6 Standard 6 and the senior The Victory 6 and Standard 6 share the same engine built by Dodge Brothers;

Displacement is 212.3 C.I.

Bore 3-7/8

Stroke 4-1/2

This engine is fitted with Brass babbitt bearing shell maine

the Rods are Babbit. Call us toll free 888-827-7601 at Romar for a free catalog. We can supply you with a carb. kit also.

The Senior was fited with a Continial engine.

Vern.

That is great Vern, I will get the info tomorrow during D/L hrs & most certainly make the call to Romar for the catalog...& kit...:)

This really made it a great day,

Thanks So Much for the quick response!

Sacemoi

Hey Vern, is that a complete rebuild kit and if so why are they avail for this carb and not the U-2 used in 29, what are the differences and why is it so. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1930</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope you can read this and hope it helps, as far as I know there are no rebuild kits per-say but I am sure someone will correct me on that if I am wrong, I dont know this particular car very well.</div></div>

Carburetor kits are readily available.

Jon.

Hello Again Vern,

On the 1928 DB Sedan, the badge on the radiator states "Senior" & has a six cyl cast iron head engine. From what you stated on your last post, it should be a "Continial" engine & not a DB engine, correct? Any other info you can offer, would be helpful. I am getting ready to make the call to Romar for their catalog.....:)

Really appreciate the help.....:)

Sacemoi

Thats great carbking but again why this particular carb and not the 29 U-2? There is I am sure as many of these still out there. Any ideas?

Guest PaulBarrett

You may also want to visit the the Dodge Brothers Club website at dodgebrothersclub.org they have a bunch of technical advisors listed and these guys are very knowledgeable.

Guest Backyardmechanic

Hello ;

Jason The U2 carb is made from pot metal and falls apart very easy There's a kit made for that carb but I have not found a rebuilter that will take on the job in rebuilting it.

Sacemoi:

Yes the Senior has a Continal engine in it.

Vern

Not all the carbs were made from pot metal, later versions which are nearly identical in every way shape and form to one of the three pot metal variations that were offered in approx 29 for my car were produced up until the late 40s early 50s I am told. I have one of these cast U-2 carbs that I would like to buy a kit for, who offers the kit? I have made several inquires to carb suppliers over the years and have been told no kit avail.

Guest PaulBarrett

Anyone have an idea as to where I might source a 1928 head gasket for DB standard six modle 140/141? Also if you know of a source for a shop manual for the same car?

Guest Backyardmechanic

Jason,

The updraft carb. was dicountue in 1933 and the u2 carb was discountue at that time.From 1933 on the dodge Brothers were fited with a downdraft carb stromburg to about 1938/39

then the Carter B&B carb.was stock until the end of the Flat head sixes.

All U2 carbs that I have came in contact with are Pot metal.

Paul,

We have a 140 standard 6 operation manual that I have used for information on my standard 6.

The standard 6 could of been fitted with a TX Stromberg carb or a Stewart carburetor I run a Stewart carb as it's all brass and I belive it's the better Carb. of the two.

On the DA that I purchase from BIG Mark it is fitted with a cater BB up draft which is a good replacement for most up draft carb.

Vern.

Vern, I have a cast U-2 carb ( that is old ) that needs a kit, apparently other autos used this carb much later than Dodge but it appears to be the same carb. Where might I find that kit you mentioned? Thanks

Just in case you were curious this is the cast carb, like I had mentioned earlier I believe ( but not certain ) that DAs used three versions that were all very similar in appearance and I dont believe they ever used this cast carb but it was evidently an improved design offered later to other manuf. I am sure that any kits that would be avil for earlier U-2 would for the most part interchange with this later U-2 version. I am sure there are small differences but the majority would work with each other.

post-48869-143138084805_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138084807_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have a U-2 with a cast iron top and die cast bottom. I spoke with Bill Cannon of Skinned Knuckles Magazine back in the early 90s and he told me that Stubebaker used a cast iron version of the U-2. I don't remember if he said that the whole carb was cast iron or just the top. Jason, is your carb totally cast iron? Terry

The whole carb is cast iron and as I had mentioned before as far as I know Das, used three different variations of U-2, all identical in appearance unless you really started looking and they were all pot metal. The cast iron version is identical to one of these as far as I know but cant remember at which stage it duplicated. It may have been only two versions on DAs, researched it quite a while back and just cant remember exactely what I came up with. Now that you mention it Studabaker was one of the users for the cast iron version.

Ok just did a quick look at what I had and this carb was used from 28-36 and was the last automotive type updraft series carb used. Construction materials vary, cast-iron, bronze, and zinc alloy, I have flange referances also which I used at one time to try and match with potential vehicles if anyone is interested.

28 was also the first year of the Stromberg downdraft carb. Hope this helps

• 8 months later...
Guest graat

hello Dodge lovers

I'm new on this forum and i need help with my 1928 Dodge Standard Six carburetor. There is Stromberg UR-2 fitted, but it is totally worn out.

So i'm looking for a good used one or an interchangeble type of carburetor.

Is there anyone who can help me out here ? I added a picture of the carb. now fitted. All advice is welcome.

Graat Jacobs

Netherlands

post-60553-143138192281_thumb.jpg

post-60553-143138192285_thumb.jpg

Guest graat

thank you for the tip

i already contacted them, but the price is the problem , i'm looking for a much friendlier solution, , so if you have another idea let me know please

Regards

Graat

I see aftermarket carbs for sale all the time on e-bay, updraft like you have but I wouldnt know their bolt pattern width, you will have to contact a seller to ask that. I know alot of guys use Tilliston carbs on their DAs, I know little to nothing about aftermarket parts for these cars since I am concentrating on the original. Wish I could be more help