Paint probem, soft and sticky. 28-54 Roadster

Guest DonP

I had my 28-54 painted with Valspar single stage Polyurethane with the color weaks black. The car was painted nine months ago and I have just recently started to drive it and park it outside for periods of time. Today I noticed the paint on the top hood hinge is blistering and soft to the touch in spots. There also seems to be some signs of softness and stickyness on the underside edge of hood where the center hinge is located. I used stainless steel rods in the three places where

the hood hinges togeather and so far only the top hinge area is a problem. Could the stainless steel be causing a reaction that would cause this problem? The rod is not exposed as the cracks between the two hood peices are tight but could it be generating excessive heat to blister the paint? Anyone have a problem like this. It doesn't apprear that this is poor metal prep since the paint is actually soft and sticky. I was at a car show a couple weeks ago and saw a corvette that had the hood up and the reflection off the chrome air filter melted a twelve inch streak in hood top surface.

Any thoughts?

Don Pettee

Just a chance that it may be Valspar LIC 30 instead of LIC 40 "polyurethane enamel" ? Both use hardener, but the 30 can be used without.

I have LIC 40 on a daily driver outdoor car and never had that problem. I used the 30 on a tractor without hardener and it stayed a tad soft in areas where it was thick, like nooks and crannies that tractors have.

My Willys fire engine has Valspar single stage on it. In my opinion it is an awesome product. It actually can become near impossible to color sand after fully cured. The finish product is very tough and hard. If you have soft spots in your finish you had a hardener problem of some kind. Your only other option was a poor curing when fresh due to too cold of a shop. The chemical reaction could have been hindered beyond the point of return. An oven baked Valspar finish cannot be beat.

Great product.

Take it back to the painter, he should correct the problem for free. He may have a claim against the paint company but that does not confront you.

You may be getting a free repaint. Provided 1) you hired a legitimate body shop 2) you did not beat them down too much on the price.

Any legitimate body shop will correct a problem at no charge to the customer. But you have to take it up with them as soon as possible, and whatever you do, do not try to fix it yourself.

Thanks for all the info regarding my problem. I will take the hood back to the paint shop and I'm sure it can be resolved. The area where the two top pieces of the hood join is a difficult spot because there are valleys or cracks where it would be hard to control the build up of paint. I took the bid the painter gave me and did not beat him down. It's not a pebble beach job but everone asked "who did the paint" so I'm sure I got my moneys worth.

Thanks again, Don Pettee

Guest elmo39

OK heres a couple of other reasons for the sticky paint. i have been a car painter for the last 40 odd years , and have found that if the paint is still sticky especialy after that lenght of time it hasn't cured properly. you guys use different termonolagy to us , but i always understood that a single stage paint was just that and didn,t use a hardener . assuming i am wrong which quite often i am , there could be three causes for your paint to be still soft at the hinge area , the first one is ,was the hood stripped to bare metal ?if it was , was a chemical stipper used , if it was ,(and this would apply whether it a hardener was used or not)and some residue was left ,which is easily done in a hinge area , the paint would be just like you described , another cause could be that most paint cured by a hardener should not be applied under 10 degree,s or it won,t cure , this sounds unlikely for your hood as it seems the problem is only in the hinge area , the same reason why i think you can rule out the wrong hardener being used

Let me play the painters dictionary....

The term single stage came about when basecoat/clearcoat arrived on the scene.

Single stage=paint,hardener,reducer.

Two stage=basecoat,reducer-clear,hardener,reducer.

Three stage=basecoat,reducer-pearl,reducer-clear,hardener,reducer.

Single stage means one application not one product.