65 Riviera Vacuum Trunk Release

Ron Luchene

I am adding vacuum trunk release and am wondering if someone could take a look at their setup and tell me where the vacuum line was routed through the firewall. According to the manual it routes to the right of the blower motor but I see no evidence of a port for this. I can drill a hole and add a grommet or just route the vacuum line with all of the other vacuum lines for the AC/Heater control. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

When I replaced my old rubber vac line for the trunk release(carpet had been removed) it went from the glove box, down around the foot vent, along the floor just inside the door, up to the trunk area in the back passenger corner and then into the trunk area. Never passed through the firewall.

The correct 65 trunk release has a vacuum storage tank on the firewall under the heater box. The line goes from this tank , thru the firewall , to the T-Handle switch in the glove box and then back to the trunk as described in a previous post . 63-64 had a plunger type unit in the glove box and when you pulled the plunger it created a vacuum and opened the trunk lie. A simpler method but not correct . I dont remember where the line went thru the firewall , perhaps someone else will have that info. I dont have access to mine at the moment.

Sorry for the confusion. There are actually two lines for the trunk release. One line is run under the carpet to the trunk and I am good as far as that goes. The second line comes from the vacuum canister on the fire wall in the engine compartment. Without vacuum, the trunk release will not work!

I used the pictures in the manual to route the line for the trunk but I do not see a hole in the firewall where the manual shows the line entering the interior space. I want to confirm that the manual is accurate before I drill a hole through the firewall. It would be much easier to route the line through the existing opening for the heater and AC vacuum lines but I want to do what is "correct". Any help is appreciated!

Ron

Dick,

I see we posted at the same time this afternoon. Thanks for your explanation of the differences between 63-64 and 65. I always wondered what the purpose was for the size of the body behind the switch in the glove box of the 63-64 models.

I have the correct T-Handle switch for my car including the vacuum canister for the firewall. Hopefully someone will post with the location of the line through the firewall. Thanks again!

Ron

Ron,

On my '65 there are two holes below the box on the firewall, have you looked there to see if there are any existing holes? I know the vacuum tank mounts below that point where the firewall slants but the holes I am referring to are on the vertical part of the firewall. Let me know if you want pictures and I'll see what I can do.

HTH

• 1 month later...

Ron,

It looks like we're working on the same project. I've been posting questions on the ROA forum. My '65 appears to have had the "T' switch in the glovebox replaced with a '63-'64 "plunger" type. While trying to sort out my HVAC vacuum lines, which were all disconnected when I bought the car last month (car from Atlanta area, off Ebay) I found the cannister on the lower firewall which doesn't appear in the vacuum diagrams I have. It also answers why I have an "extra" larger diameter vacuum line coming through the firewall, directly behind the glovebox. I'm a longhaul truckdriver, and on the road at the moment, but I'll be home next friday, so let me know if you haven't found the location for the hole you're looking for and I'll be glad to take a picture of mine and send it to you. Meanwhile, I guess if I'm going to make mine "correct", I'm going to need the glovebox "T" switch like you've got. Anyone else reading this have one or know a source? Good Luck!

Art Bohn

ROA#12350

bluzharp4u@yahoo.com

I have this diagram as well but was surprised the hole was not there and plugged or at least have a divot in the firewall indicating where to drill. I found divots for the rear regulators when I installed power windows. I am guessing this was done since so many options were installed by dealers. I ended up routing mine with the vacuum lines for the AC/Heater.