Convex Right Side Rear View Mirror

Grandpa

The optional right side outside rear view mirror on my 1941 Buick convertible in next to useless because it has a flat mirror. I would like to replace the flat mirror (in the original circular shell) with a convex mirror with the same radius of curvature as that used on modern passenger cars. The federal requirement (Vehicle Safety Standard, Part 571, Subpart B) for right side outside mirrors for passenger cars is a radius of curvature not less than 889 mm (35 inches) or more than 1651 mm (65 inches). A mid-range radius of 1270 mm (50 inches) would be preferred. I don't want the warning text (which wouldn't fit anyway) or an after market paste-on mirror. I would like the installed convex mirror to look as close to stock in the original shell as is possible.

Do any forum members have suggestions as to an individual or business that can cut a passenger car convex mirror to a specified diameter?

Thank You,

Grandpa

post-52807-143138077945_thumb.jpg

keiser31,

I need a mirror of 4-7/16 to 4-1/2 inches in diameter. I contacted Moss, as you suggested, and they do not offer a mirror that large and they do not custom cut mirrors to a specific diameter. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Grandpa

Hi Larry,

Convex truck mirrors (and motorcycle mirrors) are made to a different radius of curvature than passenger car convex mirrors, per the federal standard. Your suggest will be my Plan B.

Cutting down a large passenger car convex mirror isn't a good option, as some of the warning text would likely end up on the cut down circular mirror.

Thanks,

Grandpa

Grandpa, I think a good glass shop should be able to handle that job. I have had the right side mirror replaced in late model vehicles and they told me they are required to use the curved glass on that side.

(Is the new software gonna have spell check?)

Dave

I use a mirror from WalMart about 3" in diameter...then go to the craft department and get a big suction thing.

Bond the suction cup to the back of the mirror.

When I get to a show, I remove the convex mirror until I am ready to go home.

Jay Leno uses something similar on his cars but I could not find the one he has. It is rectangular and he sticks it on the inside of the vent window....then cranks out the vent window to give him the view he needs.

I did more searching today and could not find a ready to go convex mirror with a suction cup. The one that Leno suggested might be like a boat mirror but I have never seen one with a suction cup.

Here is a photo of the one I made, attached to the existing mirror.

post-30596-143138079932_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest CorvairCorsa66

Oreillyauto.com offers a 5" clamp-on mirror convex mirror (part # 49502) that might contain a 4 1/2 glass piece.