What is this

89reattaLNTHREE

While on the topic of the emergency brake (isn't it referred to as the parking brake??), it takes three pumps of the brake before I can pump no more. Is this normal for the Reatta? On a 2000 Buick Regal I had, I only had to press down once on the pedal for it to be effective.

If your TEVES brake system goes out you will be calling it the emergency brake from then on even if "parking brake" is the correct nomenclature. grin.gif

The Reatta normally requires more than one pump on the pedal. That is why it says "PUMP TO SET" on the pedal. Mine takes 2 pumps but that is determined by the adjuster shown in the photo above. You might get it down to 1 pump with adjustment but you run the risk of the brake pads having pressure on them that could lead to premature wear and overheating.

No, I don't think so. If the cable is loose enough to let the adjuster hang under the car, something in the cables or the caliper is probably sticking that keeps the cable from being pulled back in order to take up the slack. The problem really needs investigation before simply adjusting out the slack that is allowing the adjuster to hang down.

Once the cables and caliper have been checked for proper operation, that slack can be adjusted out with the adjuster.

You need to inspect the cables from the adjuster back to the caliper for binding, kinks or anything else that would prevent the cable from operating smoothly.

Then you need to check to make sure the caliper is not sticking someway that would prevent the cable from working properly.

If all the above is OK then you can adjust the slack out of the cable using the adjuster.

alright i looked at it today when i pump the parking brake it pulls the cable tight like it should. The caliper seems to be working fine rotor and pads are wearing good. The only weird thing is when i release the parking brake it sounds like a gun goin off i dont know if anyone else does the same. SO i am thinkng just adjust the cable

Guest daveagain909

so Is the cable now tight and fixed? It looks like it worked by just pumping the emergendy brake, correct? or am I reading this wrong?

Guest daveagain909

what did you adjust? is there adjustment screws or what? Please let me know the specifics because I see one of my cars is beginning to show what you saw and would like to fix it now before it gets worse and sags more like yours is or was. I must be having a brain freeze.