Plymouth Cricket

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

Has anyone ever seen a 1971-72 Plymouth Cricket for sale? It was my first new car, I was 17 and the Vega's non sleeved aluminum block scared me and the Cricket looked ok to me. It was of course the most undepenable car I ever owned but having gone through my mid-life sports car phase I am now into cars from my youth phase. But in 5 years of looking I have never seen even a body shell for sale. Any ideas?

Thank's

Richard

PS Even a Hillman Avenger?

IN CASE YOU FORGOT 60 sec. Cricket commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbeJ9TJirLU&NR=1

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

Hi,

A Google search sent me to your mail. I'm an owner of a Cricket 72...for sale! I'm using it during summer and the milage is 58 000miles. Our problem is that...i lived in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. A few miles!!

I don't know exactly what your goal is but just in case...you know there is still one on the road in America!!

Ciao!!

Guest Richard D

High Nico, I knew there had to be a few left. Could you send me ome pictures? The furthest north I have been in eastern Canada is Ottowa. Please send price with the trunk containing Molson Canadian and LaBatt Blue and without. Which color is yours?

Many Thank's

Richard.

PS How many gas pedal mounts have you broken? The nylon ones in my car would break twice a month if you floored it, and you usually had to.

Guest Richard D

Nico, If you have sold the car please just let me know, otherwise I am still interested.

Richard

Hello Richard; I find it interesting that you are inquiring about the Plymouth Cricket. It seems to be a long forgotten car. I had a white one when I was 19 back in the early eighties back in Vermont. I paid 200.00 dollars for it back then and I thought it was a good deal. The car was rust free and low mileage which were both rarities for a 10 year old car in Vermont. I was disappointed with it and didn't keep it long. As I remember it wasn't great on gas and could not get out of its own way and it was uncomfortable to drive. I lived in Milton, Vt. and drove it to school in Bulington about 20 miles away and it would not maintain the posted 55 mph speed limit on the hills. I traded it for a 1970 Dodge Challenger SE that was all rusted out. I wish I still had the Challenger. I have looked on Ebay occasionally for Cricket stuff and usually come up empty. It would be a cool car to see at the car shows. I would not want to drive it daily. As a side note Collectable Automobile magazine did an article on the Cricket recently. Even after all these years they didn't rate the car highly.

Guest Richard D

I bought mine new in 1971, a high school present, I liked the styling of the Vega better but I could see rust bubbles forming on the C pillars on Vegas on the dealers lots and did not like aluminum engine without steel cylinder sleeves.

The Cricket was ok, I was 6'2" and fit pretty well. The only time I thought it was slow was with the A/C on. Plus when it was about 6 months old I was going to school at about 60 MPH in fourth gear and the engine exploded, threw a rod right out the engine block. Took Chrysler 7 weeks to replace the engine. Sold it and bought a 1970 Buick Skylark convertible. I was 16, what did I know? Too bad about MOPARs 1970s rust problems, 70 Challenger is the best looking year and Vanishing Point sure helped. Even today one of my favorite body styles is the 71 & 72 Plymouth GTX or Satellite. The front wrap around bumper and the tight "fusalage" styling still look good to me today. But you can't buy one that has not been turned into a Roadrunner clone for $$$$$.

CHEERS,

Richard

Guest Bob Call

Wasn't this car also sold as the Dodge Horizon? Since Nico claims to have a Cricket someone must have a Horizon. Or, did they all go the way of the Chevette which runs a close second/third to the Cricket/Horizon as the crappiest car ever sold by the Big 3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Call</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wasn't this car also sold as the Dodge Horizon? Since Nico claims to have a Cricket someone must have a Horizon. Or, did they all go the way of the Chevette which runs a close second/third to the Cricket/Horizon as the crappiest car ever sold by the Big 3.</div></div>

No. There was no Dodge Horizon. The Plymouth Cricket was from the Rootes Group in England from 1971 -1973.

The Plymouth Horizon came out in 1978.

The Dodge Colt from Japan came out in 1971.

The Dodge Omni was the Horizon sister car from 1978.

Guest imported_Bill-W

The Horizon and Omni models were based on the French Simca 1204. The European Chrysler Horizon was engineered with torsion bar suspension up front but when Chrysler Americanized it, the Omnirizon got MacPherson struts up front.

And just to confuse everyone, the British-built Cricket was sold in Canada 1971 and 1972. For 1973 Canadian Plymouth dealers got a Japanese-built Plymouth Cricket - basically a Dodge Colt with a different grille, taillights and nameplates. The Cricket version of the Colt GT was sold as the Formula S. For 1976 the Plymouth Cricket became the Plymouth Colt in Canada.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Richard D

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will have a 1971 Plymouth Cricket for sale later this summer. Car is in great shape.

Dave </div></div>

Hi Dave please give me a shout, I am very interested in your car. Where about the country are you?

Richard.

dalk01@aol.com

Guest nico

Hi

Sorry for the delay, I went on vacation and tried once to connect internet during those 3 weeks and unfortunatly,it looks like I tried during the time the site was under revision and could'nt access...

My Cricket in bright blue (like bubble gum), rust free, 57000 miles and i never broke any gas pedal mounts since i own it. I bought it 4 years ago for sunday rides but now that I have 2 littles childrens, i have no time anymore to use it.

I read previous comments since and I agree that those Cricket are not very good car to use on everyday base... People get more interested of it at Montreal even between Lamborghini or Corvette...because nobody have seen something like this before!!

The car made some movies since : you can see it in the Bob Dylan movie released in 2007!!

I'm not use with the site. Actually, I became a member just because I read you were talking about a cricket..

If you want to share more, here is my email adress to make it easier for me auclairn@agr.gc.ca

Salut!

• 1 month later...

we will be aucitoning off a Plymouth Cricket on August 29th in Iowa- 1971 Plymouth Cricket 4 Door 19,389 miles we beleive the car is a one owner-- it has been shedded and is is fair to good condition- please visit J and H Auctions for pictures of the car--

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Richard D
we will be aucitoning off a Plymouth Cricket on August 29th in Iowa- 1971 Plymouth Cricket 4 Door 19,389 miles we beleive the car is a one owner-- it has been shedded and is is fair to good condition- please visit J and H Auctions for pictures of the car--

Ben

Hello, There are no pictures of the car. Could you pass along some pics and if it is an automatic or 4 speed, has A/C, when it was last run?

Thank You,

Richard

• 3 months later...
Guest 1sadiedad

Hello Richard, I have not seen a plymouth cricket in years unfortunately, it was a wonderful little car just a little ahead of its time, my sister purchased a 71 new when I was a kid and she promised it to me when I turned 16, well she did keep her promise, I just wish I kept the car. But I was young and did drive it through most of high school, then sold it for a 72 gto option lemans which I also wish I still had.

On carandclassic.com is a hillman avenger for sale with rediculasly low miles, but it is in england, they are asking 5995 lbs!! and also another one which is messed up, which i forget what they are asking for it.

My cricket was in perfect condition aside from a small ding in front right fender that I put in it when I was like 13 years old. And when your 16 and first car you tend to be a little abusive to your first car, but it was like a little timex watch took a lickin and kept on ticking, it would out run any vw on the road, but that was about it lol, if you ever see one for sale let me know, and I will do the same, Dan.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Richard D

Hi Dan, There is a gentleman in Canada selling one for around $2,000.00 It appears in good shape and is a blue bubble gum color, look back a few posts and send him an email, I am pretty sure he still has it. Since I am in Miami the transport costs were over $5,000 so I could not afford it. I will keep looking for both of us.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Richard D
I think a plane ticket and gas home would be affordable.

I like to tell people that I had the adventure ! !

Hi Jack, I thought about driving it home, but then I remembered mine and figured the hotel bills would not be too bad but then the hotel bills while waiting for repairs could take weeks! Plus it does not have A/C. That was the one item on mine that never broke down. Of course it was dealer installed. I will find one closer one day, I think.

Richard.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1971 Cricket factory Service Manual (Chrysler part 81-570-1517) plus the 1972 Service Supplement (Chrysler Part 81-570-2517). on ebay for a negligible price. They are in too good shape to throw away but I have no use for them. I'd love it if they could help someone out.

See Plymouth Cricket 1971 Service Manual & 1972 Supplement:eBay Motors (item 190364114565 end time Jan-17-10 07:49:34 PST)

Peter

Alexandria, VA

• 3 months later...
Guest Richard D

Hello All, Still hoping to find one in the states, maybe east of the Mississippi? There has to be one or two in a barn somewhere.

Thank's

Richard,

Miami fl.

• 4 months later...
Guest peterdimmell

I am also looking for a 1975 Plymouth Cricket for parts, My dad owns one that is in MINT condition, he purchased it new in 1975 and is its only owner. its a neat little car, mostly because it pretty rare I guess. because he does't drive it, he needs to replace some mechanical parts that are no longer working. ?? I told him I would try to find something.

• 6 months later...
Guest mdavis42

Hi Richard - I too had a brand new 71 Plymouth Cricket - purchased January '73 by my dad to get me out of a VW that had just dropped a valve. $1600. less the $100. trade. Suffered continuous tire problems until I bought a set of Rocket wheels (14") with Wide Belt G70's. Never had another alignment or tire problem and sold the car 4 years later with the same tires on it. It was auto no air, grasshopper green and radio delete. Of course we put an 8-track and Poineer stereo in it. Stromberg side drafts kept popping the rubber diaphrams and I bought them by the dozen until I ran out and used a black garbage bag and Gorilla glue. Never replaced it again. Also, I put a set of headers on mine, and it ran great for about 77000 miles before I sold it. I did have to buy a set of metric tools, and met my wife at college asking her if we could use her car on a date because mine was broken down - (Starter - cost $238.00 to replace - I replaced the brushes for $4.00 and put it back on the road.) Got married and left the church in it (Only Pics I have of it) and ended up selling it around ' 77 for $2500. great Car - always something minor wrong with it - though. But it would go anywhere - especially sand bars along the Mississippi! I would buy another one today if I could find it in fair shape. Great memories in that car - Mike :D

Guest Richard D

As my first new car I did have a lot of fun in it. Everytime I read of another Vega recall or engine problem I would point it out to my high school friends who gave me a hard time for buying a four door instead of a "mini Camaro" There were a few Vegas in the student parking lot and by grade 11 some were showing rust and leaving blue smoke trails. I guess I am still trying to relive my youth, that's why I still want another one.

Cheers

Guest Richard D
I am also looking for a 1975 Plymouth Cricket for parts, My dad owns one that is in MINT condition, he purchased it new in 1975 and is its only owner. its a neat little car, mostly because it pretty rare I guess. because he does't drive it, he needs to replace some mechanical parts that are no longer working. ?? I told him I would try to find something.

Hi Peter, Chrysler stopped importing Crickets to the USA in 1972 and sold the last ones as 1973 models. They did sell Dodge Colts as Crickets in Canada after 73 but the Rootes Group Cricket was gone. Too Bad.

CHEERS,

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Richard D

If someone else has one for sale PLEASE send me an email or PM. I sometimes forget to check this thread until it's too late.

CHEERS,

Richard

Guest jimmyfloyd

I am guessing you haven't gotten one yet, but if you need parts, let me know. this one is in the junkyard here. Looked pretty good, and not sure why it is in there. Probably a bad title. They won't sell them out of the yard unfortunately, but if you want parts, I could help there. 100_0487.jpg100_0606.jpg100_0599.jpg100_0600.jpg100_0604.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LookingForACricket74

Im also looking for a plymouth cricket! i need a 74 though i have one curently and it need parts. jimmyfloyd were is that car located, i would love to take some parts from it :D

Guest Richard D

Plymouth stopped importing Crickets into the USA in 1972. The left over 72s were sold as 1973 models. In Canada the Dodge colt became the Cricket in 74 which was not sold in the states.

Is your 74 look like this one, or a Dodge Colt? Besides, do you really want to chrush my dream of having my first new car again:(? They probably won't sell the whole car anyway, I will call them on Tuesday.

Regards,

Richard

jimmyfloyd...that's a damn shame to see that white car "behind the fence" where the cars cannot be re-sold. I see a Chrysler Rally wheel (welded to another wheel) in the photo of the front of that car. I see some nice cars in wrecking yards, too and think how big a waste it is.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest jimmyfloyd
Im also looking for a plymouth cricket! i need a 74 though i have one curently and it need parts. jimmyfloyd were is that car located, i would love to take some parts from it :D

Car is located in binghamton, NY. if you are within a reasonable distance, PM me and I'll get you the exact address. Otherwise let me know what you need and I can pull them for a small fee. I'd rather see good parts saved.

jimmyfloyd...that's a damn shame to see that white car "behind the fence" where the cars cannot be re-sold. I see a Chrysler Rally wheel (welded to another wheel) in the photo of the front of that car. I see some nice cars in wrecking yards, too and think how big a waste it is.

It is a shame, but that is why I take pictures and post them on sites like this, in hope to do three things: Help people out, save good parts, make a little money. the first two are the main reasons, the second is only if people are too far away and still need parts, cause then I am putting time in. I do try and get them to keep any of the old cars that come in with titles and try to sell them whole, but they haven't had any luck with that. Right now they just got rid of a lot of the older stuff to make way for the new. Here is what I have to pick from:

63-65 Ford Thunderbird coupe with console interior

2x 1972/73 Volvo P1800ES rusty but complete w/ FI

Plymouth cricket above

68 olds toronado. No drivetrain or front sheet metal. Rusty and musty.

couple 50's chevys/fords

65 chevy pickup

older ford F250 (60's) and older F600

couple old 1ton-3 ton dodge/international

couple 68-80 Chevy/GMC C50-C70

early 70's COE Ford Fire truck

and probably a couple more I can't recall.

Guest LookingForACricket74

I live in Canada So if any one knows were a cricket is in Canada that me and my daddy can buy or has parts message me please :) by the way im a 16 year old girl living in Canada, BC. Me and my dad are working on my car and i cant wait till we get some parts :) oh were missing the rad in my car :) any one seen a rad for a cricket?