#$*%&*)^&)^& !! (off-topic)

Rawja

Idiot hit my Trans Sport.

His insurance company has totaled my van, I'm waiting for the low-ball settlement offer.

Now to fix or not to fix?

Though I think if I fix it it will be branded a salvage vehicle, which seems ridiculous for such relatively minor damage.

Sucks.

post-30931-143138064649_thumb.jpg

post-30931-143138064652_thumb.jpg

Do your homework and get comparitable prices from the internet.

When they want to scrap it, if their offer is low, show them your findings. In Texas, they can deem it "totalled" and if you buy it from them, it has a "salvage" title. No a big deal until you want to sell it. However on an older vehicle, its value will be low enough that the salvage title will hardly affect the price.

Guest Richard D

Back in 1997 when my 1990 Reatta was truly totaled by a drunk driver my insurance only offered $10,500 and they took the car. I refused and showed them ads where other Reattas were selling for $15,000+ They finally let me keep the car which I sold for $1,500.

Good Luck

Richard

Guest CL_Reatta

That probably what, about $300 of damage for a DIY? could always just fix it yourself if the insurance only wants to salvage it.

I've actually been collecting parts for the past 6 months in preparation for a complete re-paint and all-around spruce up, taking care of the various deferred repairs and cosmetic upkeep that my financial collapse forced.

I don't know how I feel about it having a salvage title or more accurately I feel lousy (perhaps inappropriately) about the salvage title and am considering moving on.

Found two likely candidates, a '94 and a '95, but really prefer the original pointy-nosed version though if I kept this I'd already have most of the pieces to roll-back the styling to the original version plus I'd have the power door that I miss having from my previous/other Trans Sports.

Just waiting to hear from Geico.

If you have the title, just do not *ever* let it out of your possession. Went through this with son's GA when he was rearended and we finally agreed on a price with us keeping the original title.

Personally, would fix it particularly since AFAIR you had the steering wheel controls and the other goodies. My 92 3800 is the perfect vehicle for what I want and the book is only around $1500 right now. Suspect an adjuster will take one look at the torn metal underneath and try to total it.

Of course the rules may be different here.

Guest halofaller

Don't settle for the low ball offer, you don't have to. Find another one in relatively the same condition and with the same equip. Make them pay that.

Get several prices and you can avoid the standard book value settlement.

Yeah it has every option except leather and I have good leather seats I got from a u-pick-it yard last fall.

The adjuster already told me it was totaled, I'm just awaiting the settlement offer.

I must have a minivan for work, and Trans Sports are prolly the only minivans that I find appealing.... actually very appealing. This one is the sole remaining one of what was once a 4 Trans Sport fleet.

What the adjuster says and what you agree to is always mutable until you deposit their check. Just do not give them the title unless you agree that they are buying the car.

Their salvage value can't be more that 2 or 3 hundred dollars and they do not want the car, they just want the accident off their books. Tell the adjuster that you will take a coupla hundred less to keep the car and you are quits (unless there is an odd NY law, states rights and all that). This is a negotiation and if with the other guy's insurance you have some power as the injured party.

Even if your own insurance <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">they do not want the car</span></span>.

I don't think you get a salvage title. As a matter of fact, the title doesn't enter here at all. At least in Maryland. When they totaled my Reatta back in June, I bought it back for $150. They offered me $4200, less the 150; I get a check for 4050, keep the car and title. Fixed the car for $1200 myself.

So sorry to hear of your Trans Sport's demise, Roger.

I own a '95 Silhouette, by Olds - pretty much the same vehicle. My dogs and I love it. They love the power door, and it's low jump-in height, and I love the 3800 drivetrain and hitch. I pulled a Probe on a dolly with it and decided I need to buy myself a dolly as it's next option. It pulls with ease, and tracks straight, braking positively with a load, and a car in tow. The HD trans would be great for an S/C Reatta.

Guest CL_Reatta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: manikmekanik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I own a '95 Silhouette, by Olds - pretty much the same vehicle. </div></div>

"Oldsmobile Silhouette, the Cadillac of Minivans"