Engine - what kind and vintage? AMC?

lancemb

Guest mercman86

Im pretty sure that isn't a chevy engine, chevy orange maybe...

It looks to me like thats a Buick, Pontiac or oldsmobile engine because of the location of the distributor. All chevy V8's that Im aware of have the distributor in the rear of the engine. My best guess is Buick or Olds. Maybe someone else can give an exact answer. Hope this helps!

Guest simplyconnected

It's from the 60's or 70's because it has a PVC hole in the valley cover. It's NOT a Pontiac because they used bayonette-type screw-on breather caps in the rocker covers and they were blue. It looks Chevy Orange, so it could be a big block Chevy.

Guest mercman86

The more i look at it, if it isn't a Buick or Olds engine, it could also be an AMC product because they placed the distributor at the front like that. But it definately isn't a chevrolet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Manuel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Didn't AMC have the oil filter on top, right in front and standing up?

I always thought it was a handy location.

Manuel in Oz </div></div>

The Rambler 6 had oil filters on top for a while, but the V8s never did. They were vertically mounted underneath until 1967, when they were changed to the semi-horizontal mount on this engine.

Also Jim is right, the oil filter mounted on the complex timing chain cover (not to mention the distributor and oil pump) is AMC's only.

AMC_V8_1.jpg

However, unless it has been painted, it cannot be a 343. The 360 & 304 began production in 1970, and the 401 in 1971. Assuming the 4 barrel is also original, this is either a 401 or 360. There were no 4 barrel 304s.

I worked in the Kenosha, WI A M C engine plant as a machine maintenance man from 1957 to 1989 and the V 8 engines built there were, Type one. 250,289,and 327 Cubic inch. Type two style one 290, 343, and 390 Cubic inch. Type two style two. 301, 360, and 401. The block below the exhaust manafold on BOTH sides has the Cubic inch size cast into it on ALL the Type two engines.

Iron wolf