Need hubcap painting tips

Pat

I'm trying to paint the black and red colors on a set of 66 Toro caps and for the life of me can't seem to get the paint to stick. I can get nice sharp taping done but when I remove the tape, it lifts the edges of the paint! I had a local auto painter try and he got the same results. Any tricks to this or is it hopeless without an original stamped stencil? Thanks for any help. Pat

If the colored areas are recessed, you may try thinning the paint a bit...experiment a little. I heard a guy talk once about applying vaseline with a small brush to the edges of the non-painted parts of a 1954 Corvette hubcap (up to the areas he wanted to paint. He then sprayed or dripped paint into the recesses and let it dry. Later, he simply wiped off the vaseline and that was it. I saw the hubcaps and they look great! You have to have a steady hand.

You will need to scuff up the area your going to paint. There might be residue from past polishing on there. The wash with a degreaser. Dawn dishsoap works great! I like to dry the parts with compresed air to make sure all the water is out. I always use rubber gloves when I wash parts, because no matter how clean your hands are the paint will not stick well where you touch it. And larry was right! Remove the painters tape before it dries. I used finger nail polish on some of the Rocket emblems for my Oldsmobiles.

Tom

Thanks for the input guys. I had the caps polished first cause I figured trying to polish after painting would catch the paint edges. If its warm enough this weekend I'll try again and report back. Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I had the caps polished first </div></div>

Polishing compound/rouge is often in a wax base and leaves a film. Clean and scuff/etch..........Bob

Hi- you are painting a chrome hubcap, correct? If so, you not only need to clean and scuff, but you need to prime the chrome area to be painted with a zinc phosphate primer, such as Dupont 615s. Paint has a hard time sticking to chrome, even clean chrome. It's like painting galvanized plating, it won't stick. good luck. David Coco Winchester Va.