How Much for a new top?

DoubleG

Guys,

I just got the shock of my life this morning. I took some interior panels from my

24 Dodge Touring to a recommended upholsterer for a quote on how much it would cost to do all of the seats, panels, carpeting and a new top with side curtains and was told that with the correct materials it was gonna cost $20,000.00. I'm in the L.A. area and I'm thinking these guys look at anyone who is restoring a car these days must be a Jay Leno type with bags of money! Am I off on this or is that the kind of money the shops are getting now? What do you guys think and what would you do?

Thanks for reading.

G.

I would definitely shop around. There MUST have been an extra zero in there somewhere. If that price is correct, I'm gonna stop doing architectural drawings and learn to do interiors myself and start a business.

No mistake, that is the price I was quoted. And Vergil, I'm calling Jack's right now. Thanks for the lead! If anyone else knows of a reputable and fairly priced upholsterer in the Los Angeles area please let me know. Thanks again guys!

G.

Double-G --for 20 large you had better get some 22k gold thread woven into your carpet!

In San Diego, for a 1929 DA Phaeton I recently paid about $3500 for the upholstery (F+R seat covers in Leather over my existing Springs/frames and 4 door panels with pockets , 2 rear panels and 2 front kick panels all in matching vinyl with top quality carpet F+R). Just got a quote for the top (Best quality canvas tan/tan) including pads and installation-no side curtains,no boot, I supply the rear window and frame...$1800 (said OK to this). We have yet to negotiate the boot and the curtains.

I sometimes take advantage of the Ford Model A-T websites to get a ballpark low end figure. So without any labor, for example, the prices for a Ford touring (I used the higher priced materials when there was a choice):

UPHOLSTERY KIT leather seat covers $1539.95

OPEN CAR TOP ROOF KIT $311.95

OPEN CAR DOOR & KICK PANEL SET $87.95

OPEN CAR SIDE CURTAIN SET $299.95

OPEN CAR TOP PAD SET $39.95

OPEN CAR TOP BOOT $232.95

Total: $2,512.70

You can probably add at least 50% to this figure for a materials start price since we're talking non-production one-off job. Then double that figure for labor. You're probably looking at $6000-7500 in SoCal. A lot less if using vinyl instead of leather/canvas. But, like everyone else these days, upholsterers are hurting for biz, so you might be in a good bargaining position.

Let us know what you finally decide!

Hey idrjoe, Thanks for all the great info! I'm going to meet with Jack in Tarzana this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed that he will quote some figures closer to what you're talking about. I'll keep you posted.

$20,000.00!!!!!!! Yikes!

Well, Talked to Jack in Tarzana today and he wants 10,000.00 for a black canvas top excluding the side panels and boot (that was extra cost and in his opinion unnecessary) leather for front and back seats and vinyl for the door and kick panels. Carpeting not included (extra). Sigh!!! Even though that's half the price, I think it is still too much. Wouldn't come down in price even after he told me he wasn't that busy. Nice guy though! Guess I'll keep looking.

Guest oldodgeboys

Last fall I was quoted over the phone for my 25 Roadster top. Cost was approximately $3000. That was for 'authentic' materials and shaping my new oak bows to fit the irons.

I was told he has a restoration shop and his customers have gone to Pebble Beach, etc.

I have not tried him yet.

Contact is Loren Burch in Pasadena, CA.

626-792-7316 (land line).

760-382-2617 (cell).

Good luck, let us know.

Gus

Guest outlaw car man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keiser31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe you need to save some money by bringing the car up here to southern Oregon where we keep real world working man prices. </div></div>

John might have a point here, factor in the price to haul !

Just for ball park figures, I had a 1934 Ford Fordor interior & top completely done for around 5K. Bought the kit from LB & had an outfit ( one if the best) install it. This was 9+ years ago, but gives maybe a base price.

I would think a total price on your project ( TOTAL) might be in the 7K range. Just a guess.

I just put a new top insert in my 32 DL6 for about 80 bucks- That was cost of material from LeBaron Bonney, labor was 5 cents an hour-( I did it)

DoubleG...do you need the top irons and/or bows re-worked or refit? If not, then I would imagine that outlaw car man is closer to the real cost. I was thinking $5,000.00 - $7,000.00.

Keiser,

The top irons and the top bows are in excellent shape. As are the original backings for the door and kick panels and the seat frames and springs. All great condition. That was one of the things that the guy in Tarzana kept commenting on. How nice all that stuff is. The canvas top is worn out and the seats were replaced with some old vinyl back in the early forties by my wife's Grandfather. We just want to take it back to what it was originally. Oldodgeboys

I know Loren and I completely forgot about him. He did my steering wheel about two years back and it turned out great! $100.00 bucks for that job. I'll contact him. Maybe he's still reasonable. Thanks again Guys!

Guest imouttahere

I think we need to be asking ourselves a serious question here: how is it going to be possible for anyone to restore an old DB if ANY ONE of the following - mechanical rebuild, body paint or re-upholstery - costs more than the car is worth? And if you have to do all three?? Why would anyone invest $30k in a car that's only worth $10K?

Edit - I forgot that you said you were doing it in leather. When I did my '22 touring in leather, I found it necessary to determine how much leather was necessary for the job and to buy it myself. The upholstery shops wanted to mark it 'way up, higher than retail.

Some more really good points and advice. I'll look into pricing and buying all of the materials myself in order to cut cost. Do any of you guys have a recommendation on where I might be able to find this stuff? I set up an appointment with Loren Burch for next week. He agreed that the prices quoted where high. So hopefully I'll find success with him. Loren is a really neat guy. He has all kinds of fun stuff going on. When you visit his shop you seriously feel like you've gone back in time to the early 1900's. Thanks again!

G.

Guest outlaw car man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some more really good points and advice. I'll look into pricing and buying all of the materials myself in order to cut cost. Do any of you guys have a recommendation on where I might be able to find this stuff? I set up an appointment with Loren Burch for next week. He agreed that the prices quoted where high. So hopefully I'll find success with him. Loren is a really neat guy. He has all kinds of fun stuff going on. When you visit his shop you seriously feel like you've gone back in time to the early 1900's. Thanks again!

G. </div></div>

I'd suggest at least starting ( starting) with LeBaron Bonney/Hampton Coach. They are Ford/GM folks but have a zillion types of interior material, top material etc. I called them about the top material for my 32 DL6, they sent samples they thought were close, they were for my application, matched the original stuff pretty close-

Worth a free call maybe.

1-800-221-5408 ( Amesbury, Mass. )

Good luck-

OCM

There are books in the library, and one can get a used upholstery machine really cheap on ebay, I have done my seats and now I am going to attempt the top next winter. When driving is out of the question. It really is not that hard, and why pay more for the upholstery than the car is worth. ONLY MY OPTION.

Hi- I do upholstery work so thought I would comment.

Leather for a touring car, figure 7 hides at $200-250 a hide. More if you want great quality leather. So, $1500 for leather.

Top, 8 to 10 yards of material, plus bowdrill, binding, etc. figure $600 for materials. If you need snaps, carpet, etc., then add more money.

Side curtains another 6-8 yards material, plus plastic for windows. A complete set of side curtains is more work than doing the top.

The unusual low prices mentioned aside, someone doing a top from scratch (using the original top as a visual pattern, but making the top fit the bows) is going to realistically charge at least $2000 for labor. If the bows need alignment (a top is only as good as it's frame), that will be more. Side curtains and boot will add that amount again for labor. Seats, door panels, carpet, will be the $2000 for labor or more.

So, one can see that $8000-10000 is where it would be, by someone who knows how to work on old cars. A lot of the upholstery people out there work on newer stuff, and do what they do nicely. But I have seen those same people take original material (which has shrunk, stretched, etc.) and use them to make patterns. Then, when the top doesn't look right.....

Upholstery, or trimming, is not that hard to learn. It takes a walking foot sewing machine that can sew slowly, a person willing to learn, and a lot of patience. It is also a profession where it takes very little capital or room to get started, and there is work available.

Good luck. David

Well, after weighing all my local options, I've decided to forgo the leather seats and do all of the interior in vinyl. I actually like the way it looks and there are more grain patterns to choose from. Even though it is a beautiful automobile and a family heirloom to boot, it doesn't make fiscal sense to put that much money into any car that's value can't support it. I'm buying the materials myself and having some good friends help me by shopping around for the best deal for labor. I'll meet with Loren Burch tomorrow and hopefully he'll be the man for the job. Thanks for all the advice guys. It really helped!

DoubleG.