Buick Engine Number.

Tom Laferriere

Calling David Corbin....David Corbin where are you??? When he comes along, he can tell you what year the motor is, and what it came in also. Give him your frame number also and he will tell you about your car as well. grin.gif Dandy Dave!

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Tom:

The number you give of 4 3,119,881 is for a 1937 Buick Special. The engine was built at Flint in mid October of 1936 for a 1937 year car. The 4 tells us it's for a 40 series Special and the balance is the actual serial number.

On an unrelated item, did you ever catch the guy who stole the trunk hinges off your Franklin at Hershey in 2007?

For all us Buick guys, Tom has an American Lafrance speedster with a 700 (more or less) cubic inch engine. Think Charlie Easter's N3 Buick race car times about 3 and you'll get the idea. A serious monster!!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Hi Daves,

Thanks for the info. That is helpful and I will update the Ebay auction.

As for the American Lafrance, it is something to behold, however, the clutch is really giving me a problem as well as an overheating problem so I am a bit cranky about it. It was scheduled for display in front of the Providence Performing Arts Center this weekend during Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but bairly made it in the trailer with the clutch smoking. So there it will sit until I get some time to deal with it. I was lloking forward to wearing all my "gear" and letting the kids sit in it.

When I first saw it, I knew I had to have it. I bugged the owner for 4 years until I got the call. It wasnt running or driving at the time, but it was fun getting it going.

I could go on and on, but I wont.

I saw it in Hershey several years ago. cool.gif Sounds like you need to unplug the radiator and get that clutch adjusted. Nothing worse than a really neat car that is down right unreliable. That unit should run as cool as a cucumber in the summer. It was designed to run under a load while sitting still. Pull the radiator cap and see if there are air bubbles comming up the next time you run it. Could be a head gasket problem also, or in a worse case, Something is cracked. whistle.gif Dandy Dave!

Push Here and scroll down to see the one that was in Hershey in 2007. I could have swore you said it was yours? Maybe I did not read the thread right. blush.gifsmile.gif Need a good mechanic??? I know one that has the Golden Touch for these old gems. Have tools , will travel. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Push Here and scroll down to see the one that was in Hershey in 2007. I could have swore you said it was yours? Maybe I did not read the thread right. blush.gifsmile.gif Need a good mechanic??? I know one that has the Golden Touch for these old gems. Have tools , will travel. smile.gif Dandy Dave!</div></div>

It was mine, but the one in this thread is different than that one.

Will he fix my clutch and overheating problem?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will he fix my clutch and overheating problem? </div></div> Yeeess Sirrr....? Send me a PM for details... wink.gif Dandy Dave!

I have about 35 years of repairing nothing but old and tired stuff. Autos, tractors, engines, constructon equipment, lawn mowers. Much of it from 1900 to 1930. I also have a waiting list. Maybe you should get the guy that is closer first and see if he knows his stuff. If not, I'm on the sidelines. But, if he pulls it apart and then can't get it back together. eek.gif The price will be double to fix er. wink.gif JB Buick 22, Can you make your own Axles??? grin.gif How about build a full swing power shovel from scratch??? wink.gif Dandy Dave!