Which carburetor is this?

West Peterson

Off the top of my head, I think it is probably a Zenith carburetor designed for a 1932 Ford. The car appears to be a Late 1931 Slant Windshield Deluxe Fordoor or Town Sedan. Those two body styles are externally the same. Slightly different interior trim would differentiate between the two.

While there are a couple of small items in the engine compartment that I think are not quite right, that is a nice looking Model A.

OOPS... I was wrong about the carburetor.... It looks right for a late 1931...

Nice looking car. Allow me to correct my earlier comment on the carburetor, Since all the Model A's I have ever owned have been from 1929 to early 1931's, I have no experience with the late 1931 Carburetors. I had to pull out my books and check it out. That Carburetor appears to be a Late 1931 Zenith-2 or Zenith-3 with the side mounted gas filter-sediment trap and draincock. The funny thing is that in messing with Model A's for the over 10 years I have never seen one of those in person.

Well the car is a slant window town sedan made in 1931.

Ford was required to move the fuel shut off from inside the passenger compartment to the engine compartment to comply with some states laws. This made a change in the fire wall where it got a tear drop indent (known as the indented firewall). This was phased in during the 1931 production.

This change made it such that Ford had to relocate the filter from the fire wall to the side of the carb. It is called a side bowl carb and tends to command a much better price than the regular carb.

The change over was fairly early with it appearing before the introduction of the slant window cabriolet and the A400. There are some interesting variations that occurred. There were some regular firewalls that were restamped to be indented. Also some of the cabriolets and A400, which should have all had indented firewalls, were made with straight firewalls.

That should be way more information then you ever wanted.

For the record, I learned about this because I have a flat firewall slant window cabriolet. I did not believe it when I first saw it and had to look close at the welds.

• 1 year later...

The carb should have either a "Zenith 2" or "Zenith 3" imbedded in the visible side of the bowl. The early "late" 1931 carbs were holdover Zenith 2's with the different top. The Zenith 3 was the late "late" 1931 carb. The lower casting on the Zenith 3 is lighter in construction than the Zenith 2.

The Zenith 3 carbs are scarce. I have been told (hearsay, I have no proof) these were used only in the few weeks of production.

Jon.