Compass in Mirror

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest steveskyhawk

Just curious. I always liked the idea of the compass in the mirror. Does anybody know how they work? Is there a sending unit somplace else in the car or is it self contained in the mirror housing? Every one of our cars has map lights in the rearview so the power is there. I wonder if there is a plug and play rearview from another car that we might find in the wrecking yard? Just curious.

Been looking but so far have not found one with compass and map lights. With the advent of GPSs, they are more of a curiosity innyhoo. May put one in the 88 eventually because I have one and it uses the touch scream.

The Roadmaster has both the compass and the lights in the mirror. I owned 3 [2-92's 1-93]. The 93 did not have the compass but it had the automatic dimming feature when someone came up behind you with the brights on.

I was going to ask why don't you do the Riv. compass upgrade but I see you have the wrong Reatta vintage.

Steve,

The rear view mirrors w/built in compass have all the electronics inboard (no external module needed) so installation is pretty straight forward. These units are also auto dimming, but require a lead to be run from the back-up lamp circuit so that they will "un-dim" at night when the car is in reverse (to aid rear visibility while backing up).

There are units made with both the compass and map lights, but they are not cheap, probably around $200 for this combo of features. JC Whitney sells them, and they are usually found on ebay as well. Strange that lots of cars have a compass rear view mirror standard, but almost none seem to come with one that has map lights also - this makes it difficult to find one in a salvage yard.

Somewhere, I have a link to an outfit that sold these, as well as seat heater and lumbar kits among other things. Of course, I can't find it right now. I will keep looking and post back if I do.

One other thing, you will probably need to cut off the factory harness end and splice on the one provided with the new mirror if you do this, the connector is of a different type.

KDirk

Probably because an overhead map/dome light is much more useful. My station wagon had reading lights with focussing lenses built into it but needed to be slightly behind the front seat to work.

Fieros have a comination light mounted above the mirror on the header panel and while not ideal, provide much better illumination than the ones in the Reatta mirror.

So the probable reason there are few with map lights in the mirror is because it really does not work very well.

Guest Reatta1

My 88 has the lights in the mirror but they have never worked. I've just never taken the time to investigate whether it's because the bulbs are burned out or it's a blown fuse. And actually, I didn't even know they were there till I had to take the mirror out when I replaced the headliner a couple years ago. Don't drive the Reatta enough that needing them working is an issue. I would not mind having a compass though.

Guest Mc_Reatta

I bought a rear view off ebay from another GM car that had a compass and autodimming included. I never found one that also included map lights, so I guess there weren't that many Roadmasters out there. It is fully self contained. Try to find one with the connector included as it has more wires than our stock mirror. The wireing is there to supply power to make the compass and autodimming work, but the proper installation requires a wire from the back-up light circuit to turn off the autodim feature when you are backing up at night. I didn't bother with installing this connection and don't miss it. I turn my head around anyway when I'm backing up. Every once and awhile I miss the map lights, but still glad I made the switch. Nowadays they put the thermometer readout in the mirror also. Wonder if there's a way to get the output from the BCM up there to show the outside temp on of those mirrors? Anybody got one to try?

Mike McDonald

Space Coast, FL

Bought an 2008 saturn vue. Owner's manual says the car has a compass. The dealer's put a disclaimer over that part. Says car does not come with a compass. I have a Garmin but it is hardy in the car. I like the compass feature. Unlike most cars it would have been in the dash cluster. ken

Outputs from the BCM take the form of a serial data stream, would have to redirect a D/A signal to run a mirror and the mirror would have to know what to do with it.

Recently acquired a GPS (mainly to check speedo calibration) that has all of that (except temp) and trying to figure out where it can go on the 88 that I can see it.

Low on the windshield there is too much glare. Next to the mirror (driver's side) is a bit close. On dash to right of steering wheel seems a possibility but will need to make a mount. Part of problem is this is a 4x3 and takes up a bit of room.

I just got back from the local u-pick yard. There are numerous Roadmasters out there, some with the compass and map lights in the rear view mirror.

Anyone interested? I'm thinking $40.00 plus freight. I will also provide calibration instructions as it explains in the owners manual.

PM me if interested.

Dave,

Yes, please count me in if there is one in good shape at the yard. You can PM me with the details on payment/shipping. Bear in mind that I will need some of the harness pigtail (6-8" would be nice) if possible, the connector will be different than the stock mirror.

Also, FYI most of these compass mirrors are clip mount type rather than the old set-screw mounting shoe. In other words, they have a spring clip in the shoe that latches onto the "slug" glued to the windshield. Releasing these for removal can be a bit troublesome.

Thanks!

KDirk

Dave,

Will do. I will try to write this up such that I can cross reference the color coding of the wires from the Reatta harness to the pigtail used with the compass mirror. If really lucky, the color codes will be the same (I really doubt that) save for the needed addition of a wire to the backup lamp circuit if so desired.

Note that these mirrors also usually have a dimming output on the internal connector that goes to the driver side view mirror on cars that have auto-dimming there as well (my 95 Deville has this feature so that the side mirror dims in unison with the rear-view). On the Reatta this feature will be unused.

Also, I may not even bother with tying in the backup circuit, as my car has window tint installed prior to my ownership. Because of this, I don't really need the auto dimming capability of the mirror turned on at night as the rear window tint cuts the headlight glare enough to begin with. Without the need for the mirror auto-dimming, I will not need the back-up mode dim-off feature.

For those who would like to tie-in the backup detection, I will try to provide some direction.

KDirk

To ID the compass mirror, Dave is correct. There is a small window at the upper right corner of the mirror in which there is a 2 digit VFD display that shows 2 alpha digits for direction. It also shows the "zone" number during calibration.

One can also identify these as they usually have a slide switch at the center bottom of the mirror housing that says "OFF M C/M" (three positions) with M being auto dimming [M]irror, and C/M being [C]ompass and [M]irror both. Off is self explanatory.

As well, the base of the mirror is a wide, curved plastic enclosure that contains some of the electronics for the compass and auto dimming.

KDirk

Ok, here's an update on the compass rear view setup. Be advised this is a long post.

First, thanks to Dave for sending me the 2 mirrors (one for me, one to forward to another forum member), received in good shape today. I have discovered the following:

1. These mirrors are not clip-mounts as I stated above, they are still set-screw type. This is good, as this type is much easier to remove/install with only a torx screwdriver.

2. These mirrors are not auto dimming, they still have the "flip tab" manual dimmer. No big deal, this doesn't bother me at all.

3. The compass display is actually a backlit LCD, not a VFD thus it shows black letters on a pale blue background (matches the back lighting on the cluster & various switches) rather than blue-green characters on a black background as I had expected. This is fine, just different than any other compass mirror I have seen so far.

4. The mirror has a 4 wire harness. Did some bench testing, these are in no particular order:

A] Black/no stripe - Ground.

B] Black/Green stripe - +12VDC map light in (ign switched)

C] Black/Blue stripe - +12VDC compass in (ign switched)

D] Black/White stripe - Ground courtesy lights

So, really the needed wires are A,B and C above, and can be attached to the two existing wires in the Reatta harness (wires B and C tied together to the 12V wire in the vehicle side harness).

Wire D, when grounded, overrides the map light switches (if off) and turns on both map lights. I am assuming this is for use in convertibles with no dome light, that use the map light to do double duty as overhead courtesy lamps. This could be used in any Reatta if a wire were run back to a switched ground in the courtesy lamp circuit.

Now, my first problem out of the box was that the compass didn't light up on either mirror on testing with my bench power supply. Popped open one mirror (very delicate operation, plastic housing is all snap together) and found the LCD backlight bulb was burned out. Probably the same on the second mirror, since these bulbs typically have about a 5K hour rated life span.

This bulb is a 12V micro lamp. I did have a similar bulb (8V) on hand that I temporarily rigged into the backlight holder. After re-testing, it does light up. I will need to install a proper 12V bulb (or maybe a white T-1 type LED with a dropping resistor) for a permanent fix.

Found that it functions correctly, so hopefully tomorrow I will have time to put it in the car. Right now, it is just sitting on my test bench but it does work, and turning the mirror different directions changes the compass readout accordingly.

As far as hookup in the car, the connectors are different as I suspected. The compass mirror has a 4 pin/4 wire plug in a 2x2 arrangement. The stock Reatta mirror has a 3 pin/3 wire harness in a 3x1 configuration.

The vehicle side of the harness has only 2 wires - the 3rd (missing) wire is likely for the switched ground courtesy lamp input on the mirror. This would only have been used in a convertible or in a car with no separate dome light.

So, cutting/splicing looks to be necessary. I am looking at maybe re-pinning the harness so I don't have to chop the vehicle side harness, as I hate doing that.

Anyway, that's where it stands right now. As soon as I have the kinks worked out, I will post some pics and a more concise write up on the wiring of the new mirror.

KDirk

Padgett,

Dave (DAVES89) found these in a couple of Roadmasters in a yard he was at. In reviewing this thread, it doesn't look like he said what year. You might PM him about it, I'm not sure how many equipped with this style mirror were in the yard to begin with.

He pulled two, and shipped both to me so I can work out the wiring and do a writeup on the change out. I am to ship the extra one I received to another forum member who has paid Dave directly.

Per my last post on this, be advised that the back light on the compass may be burned out. Not really that hard to fix, just getting the mirror housing apart to do it is kind of tricky (at least without breaking or chewing up the plastic housing).

I'm planning to use an LED instead of a micro lamp so it will not burn out again. This will require a dropping resistor to bring down the 12V supply, I will calculate the proper resistor value after I know the drive voltage of the yet to be sourced LED.

Stay tuned, I will have more on this in the next few days.

KDirk

Padgett, good advice on the derating. I had calculated out about 800 ohms for the LED I am using (based on 14V max input, might be a wee bit low) but I will do some experimenting. The back light needn't be so bright that it is a distraction, so I can under-drive the LED and still get acceptable results I think.

KDirk